E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux Input with DVD Player

08-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e90

Aux Input with DVD Player

Hi.. sorry for a stupid question.. can I use a portable DVD player and plug it in the Aux Input in the car? I'm interesting in getting a DVD player for the front, and don't know how to start.. just reading through the different topics.. EAS is coming out with a module soon, but not yet.. Thanks

can I get something like this and just connect it to the aux input in the car?
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...P6000DVD?tab=B
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330iE90, F15X5, F25X3, F15X5

The Aux input will only play sound.

However it is not really as straight forward if you are at all concerned with the quality. You have to make sure the impedence of the source (Kenwood) is matched with the impedence of the AUX input. A simple resistor network would do the trick. Then sound should be perfect

BMW has a factory retrofit unit available for about $750 that allows 4 video inputs, 1 satellite video receiver, DVD player input. It also allows adding a USB HDD where you can play back MP4 and other video formats through the iDrive display. All controllable from the iDrive knob.

I think much better integrated than the 3rd party units.
      08-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4621
Size:  35.7 KB

This is the BMW ACM menu
      08-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info! I'm still deciding on going "cheap" (getting a portable DVD player), or just buying a touchscreen.. touchscreens are pretty nice.. do you know of any that might work?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
becker800
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 GC

I just did this same setup.

Portable DVD player with sound going through AUX connector and video plugged into Doms TvandNav2go unit ($400)

U can switch video inputs with the Idrive knob and play DVD's on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
michsu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Can any of you guys help me install it? I looked at a few other topics and it seems pretty complicated..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #7
adigsmx
Rep
Drives: e92, burgundy

finally a solution

I think this is what I am looking for.can you please be more specific? I have e92 with professional navigation, and I wanted dvd or tv to work on the monitor.Is this possible with the 750 usd retrofit? If I buy this will the tv and dvd work?

btw, I have forgotten to add IPOD/IPHONE integration when I configurated the car...will this 750usd retrofit allow me to connect IPOD/IPHONE also?
thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

OK I've installed the ACM over the weekend. For me it was important to have an original BMW installation.

The rear view camera turns on automatically if the car is put in reverse.
The side view camera enables when the car is going slower than 20 km/h.
The USB video input only works with the BMW USB kit, because you use the ACM menu to search and play music.
The TV option only works with the BMW Digital Broadcasing TV receiver module.
The DVD option works with any composite video input such as a DVD player, computer or so. If you have a DVD player with RS232 input, it supplies the control messages to select the next song, etc via the i-drive knob.

The Cameras are supposed to work with PDC, but I dont have PDC in my car.

It has taken me a long time to install because I wanted it to be 150% correct as it would have been if the factory fitted it. For that reason I did not even want the dealer to install. Apart from the couple of cable ties that came in the pack I used another packet (I think about 100) cable ties.

You can still connect your IPOD to the AUX in for audio. If you have a video output cable for your IPOD you can connect that through the unit.

If you want to make calls with your IPHONE you need to have the bluetooth kit installed. BMW sells a bluetooth kit.

If you want to play music & video from your IPHONE, you should be able to do that through the USB/ACM interface.
      09-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
adigsmx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamprecht View Post
OK I've installed the ACM over the weekend. For me it was important to have an original BMW installation.

The rear view camera turns on automatically if the car is put in reverse.
The side view camera enables when the car is going slower than 20 km/h.
The USB video input only works with the BMW USB kit, because you use the ACM menu to search and play music.
The TV option only works with the BMW Digital Broadcasing TV receiver module.
The DVD option works with any composite video input such as a DVD player, computer or so. If you have a DVD player with RS232 input, it supplies the control messages to select the next song, etc via the i-drive knob.

The Cameras are supposed to work with PDC, but I dont have PDC in my car.

It has taken me a long time to install because I wanted it to be 150% correct as it would have been if the factory fitted it. For that reason I did not even want the dealer to install. Apart from the couple of cable ties that came in the pack I used another packet (I think about 100) cable ties.

You can still connect your IPOD to the AUX in for audio. If you have a video output cable for your IPOD you can connect that through the unit.

If you want to make calls with your IPHONE you need to have the bluetooth kit installed. BMW sells a bluetooth kit.

If you want to play music & video from your IPHONE, you should be able to do that through the USB/ACM interface.
so, let me get this straight:
will the dvd unit from professional navigation play movies?
will the ipod/iphone music list be available on main screen, and manageble thru idrive ?
what camera are you talking about? is there an OEM camera available from BMW?it wasn't an option when I buid my car
what is side view camera?
what's the price for BMW Digital Broadcasing TV receiver module.
and a price for bluetooth kit if possible.thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #10
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigsmx View Post
will the ipod/iphone music list be available on main screen, and manageble thru idrive ?
what camera are you talking about? is there an OEM camera available from BMW?it wasn't an option when I buid my car
NO the DVD drive in the CCC is dedicated for DATA only. No video possible.
To play DVD's:
Option 1: Use a portable DVD player or DVD shuttle from Pioneer/Samsung and connect that to the ACM to play DVD's. You can forward/reverse/skip, etc on some model DVD players, BUT not see or select song names.
Option 2: Purchase the USB interface and load your DVD video files to a FLASH disk or a portable USB harddrive. You can now watch DVD's. This allows you to see and select songs/video titles.
Option 3: There is a german product that connects to the MOST optical fibre bus and makes as if it is the factory fitted TV unit. You can then connect a DVD player to that unit as in Option 1 to view DVD's.

To connect a camera
You need the ACM for this. There are 2 types of BMW cameras.
Rear view camera:
This is a camera+license plate lamp that just retrofits into the hole of the existing license plate lamp. You can select either PDC or Camera, but I think not both. I am not sure because I dont have PDC. If enabled this camera input selects every time you engage reverse gear.

Side view camera:
This is a dual camera. It is 2 camera in 1 that looks to the sides. I think its purpose is those narrow streets in Germany with the tall buildings either side where you have to push the nose of the car into traffic to see when there is a gap in the traffic. The camera mounts on the nose of the car and looks to the left and right. The image is split in the centre and shows both cameras. If you select this - then the view automatically dissapear travelling over 30 km/h.

To connect a DVB-T set top box
You need the ACM
The BMW unit I think is probably about 400 euro. You are able to select the station through the ACM menu.

Watching while driving
Normally you can only watch videos or TV input if the hand brake is engaged. If you disconnect pin 2 on the CAN box you can view videos up to 5 mph. If you disconnect pin 19 as well you can watch videos at any speed. Just note that DVB can get a bit screwed up while travelling. I dont think the transmission protocol makes enough provision of doppler and other effects.

For prices look on www.ebay.de

None of these are options on a new car. I did however see it advertised in the 1-series and 3-series BMW orinal accessory brochure although the service agent and parts department could not believe it when I pulled a brochure off the shelf and showed them what was in there!

The installation manual for the side view and rear view original cameras are included. You will see the part numbers as well. The side view camera was $3200 - too expensive for me.

Sorry I can't answer iPod/iPhone questions. I am a m$ guy.Round vision retrofit.pdf
      09-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

glamprecht - i presume the acm module is for professional nav only, do you know if it is compatible with pre and post 3/07 build dates? also what kind of coding did you have to do at the dealership to make this happen

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

nice mod.. I'll have to look into this for later
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
adigsmx
Rep

Quote:
you seem to know a lot about this.
p.s. 3200usd is too expensive for me also, and IMO it doesn't worth it.
thank you for you time
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
glamprecht - i presume the acm module is for professional nav only, do you know if it is compatible with pre and post 3/07 build dates? also what kind of coding did you have to do at the dealership to make this happen

thanks
The ACM works on both Bus (6") and Prof (8") navigation. It probably looks a bit better on the Business Nav, because the LCD is closer to the aspect ratio of the video input (PAL/NTSC) which is 4:3

It works on both pre- and post 3/07 builds as well. For post 3/07 build the instructions differ slightly. Also if you have 6FL you have to unplug the USB device before selecting USB on the ACM.

You only need coding if you do not have a AUX socket in the centre console or you cannot select AUX input on the Nav screen currently. This option needs to be activated with coding - this is trivial and your SA should do this no problem.

If you already have an AUX input there is no coding required.
      09-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep

3200 is for a dual camera that is wide temperature supports anti-fogging, dirt and rock proof, IP68 (high pressure jet submersible) camera. I dont think you will find anything else matching the spec for that price.

But I agree it is not worth it for a side view camera. The ACM is quite cheap and a reversing camera I paid $18 for so that's worth it. DVB-T and USB is additional and I think of rather using a PC with USB/DVB software loaded. The only challenge is to get the i-Drive to navigate the code. I will send updates if I get that working.

Quote:
you seem to know a lot about this.
p.s. 3200usd is too expensive for me also, and IMO it doesn't worth it.
thank you for you time
      11-21-2008, 03:12 AM   #16
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamprecht View Post
3200 is for a dual camera that is wide temperature supports anti-fogging, dirt and rock proof, IP68 (high pressure jet submersible) camera. I dont think you will find anything else matching the spec for that price.

But I agree it is not worth it for a side view camera. The ACM is quite cheap and a reversing camera I paid $18 for so that's worth it. DVB-T and USB is additional and I think of rather using a PC with USB/DVB software loaded. The only challenge is to get the i-Drive to navigate the code. I will send updates if I get that working.
Can you post a picture of what your backup camera (installed) looks like?
Appreciate 0