E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 06 Pre-LCI Tail lights

07-30-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

06 Pre-LCI Tail lights

I know there is a thread somewhere here about tail lamps on a Pre-LCI but can't find it.
Does anyone know by law in California if it is required to have a strip of white for the reverse lights? I looked up laws on vehicle lighting but it comes to a really grey area with reverse lights that I can see. It doesn't actually say you have to have white on your tail lights period even though 99% of cars on the road do.

Ive seen people use VHT or Stained Glass Spray Paint on the tail lights to get the white from standing out so much. I am not trying to go with blacklines or do a LCI conversion as the money to do so would be better invested in something else. Just curious if this is going to cause issues for a reason to get pulled over. I picked up some time for $5.00 and honestly worth every penny imo. I went with the tint because I can easily remove it if needed unlike painting. It may not last as long but for $5.00 and 10 minutes to install it I couldn't really go wrong. I'm the bright sun the white portion kinda looks a little pink but I'm sure 2 layers would do the job

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=24606

Seems to be cut and dry. It must be white light.
      07-31-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=24606

So as long as I'm
A) not on a highway backing up. Which would be really really stupid. Lmao
B) Not backing up period at night time I'd be A OK.

Really I don't think I'm going to have any issues TBH. It never crossed my mind but while driving today I did see a few new cars with no visible backup lights on the rear. Im going to drive it for awhile and see what happens. Shit worse I have to do if I do get pulled over is open my little knife on my keychain and peel it right off.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doesha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...7;ionNum=24606

So as long as I'm
A) not on a highway backing up. Which would be really really stupid. Lmao
B) Not backing up period at night time I'd be A OK.

Really I don't think I'm going to have any issues TBH. It never crossed my mind but while driving today I did see a few new cars with no visible backup lights on the rear. Im going to drive it for awhile and see what happens. Shit worse I have to do if I do get pulled over is open my little knife on my keychain and peel it right off.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...sectionNum=360

Highway means any public surface intended for vehicles. You can still get a ticket, even if you peel it off right away. A judge might dismiss it if you do, but then you gotta spend a day in court.

At the end of the day it's up to you