THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Comparing camber plate options for stock springs

06-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Comparing camber plate options for stock springs

I am in desperate need of camber plates. From my research that I've done, it looks like every option available comes with its flaws. From what I can tell it seems like Vorshlag may be the best of the bunch. Can the folks who are running camber plates weigh in? From my research, a lot of my findings are at least several months old and I'm not sure if there has been any improvements since.

Vorshlag - Robust design, but clearance for the spring isolator boot is virtually nonexistent and will rip the boot within a few miles; no change to design by Vorshlag citing they do not want to mill down the spring seat any smaller.

Dinan - Last I read, they have updated their design but haven't found any further update since. Also quite pricey.

Ground Control - poor bearing design. Has it been updated?

KMAC - the spring seat acts as a funnel for dirt and road debris to get into the bearing. rwalker reported that his failed (iirc) at around 2k miles. I had a set of these on order (Turner had these on sale for $370), but that was before reading about the fatal flaw of the spring seat plate. Have since cancelled the order.

TC Kline - didn't do much research on this. Pretty expensive....

Millway - Cheap price; not much reviews.

Are there any other that I've missed? Any different experience of any of the plates than what I've found above?
Appreciate 3
N55guy214.00
cxp213313.00
      06-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

I've been running GCv2's for over 40,000 miles. No issue with them. I recently installed Dinan springs, checked the bearings and they were perfect.. The GCv3's are out now and have a really nice top plate design, but overall are still the same design and they work.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update on the GC, zip. Good to hear that they've fixed their bearing design. I'll have another look at them in that case.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
_MotoMa83_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
I've been running GCv2's for over 40,000 miles. No issue with them. I recently installed Dinan springs, checked the bearings and they were perfect.. The GCv3's are out now and have a really nice top plate design, but overall are still the same design and they work.
Hi, What alignment set up did you try on front tires? Improve handling and cut on the fast wear on the outer side of the tires? thanks !
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #5
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
I am in desperate need of camber plates. From my research that I've done, it looks like every option available comes with its flaws. From what I can tell it seems like Vorshlag may be the best of the bunch. Can the folks who are running camber plates weigh in? From my research, a lot of my findings are at least several months old and I'm not sure if there has been any improvements since.

Vorshlag - Robust design, but clearance for the spring isolator boot is virtually nonexistent and will rip the boot within a few miles; no change to design by Vorshlag citing they do not want to mill down the spring seat any smaller.

Dinan - Last I read, they have updated their design but haven't found any further update since. Also quite pricey.

KMAC - the spring seat acts as a funnel for dirt and road debris to get into the bearing. rwalker reported that his failed (iirc) at around 2k miles. I had a set of these on order (Turner had these on sale for $370), but that was before reading about the fatal flaw of the spring seat plate. Have since cancelled the order.

Are there any other that I've missed? Any different experience of any of the plates than what I've found above?
Like your summary of options, takes time to gather all that info
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Camber plates are only a requirement if your tracking your M235 and don't want to spend tons of money replacing front tires from tearing up the edges.

Front
-2 Deg
1/32 in Toe per Side
1/16 in Toe total

Rear
-1.8 Deg
1/16 in Toe per side
1/8 in Toe total
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
Skycaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post

Anyone know if the vorshlag plates still cause the spring boots to rip?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycaptain View Post
Anyone know if the vorshlag plates still cause the spring boots to rip?
I went back to re-read the initial Vorshlag thread by rwalker and he did say that Vorshlag was working on revising the spring seat tolerances. Unfortunately, there has not been an update on that thread on whether the revision has been completed nor has anyone made any mention of getting a revised set.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #9
Skycaptain
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Spent the last 3 hours reading the suspension threads. I haven't come across any ground control threads as yet. Do they allow the standard spring boot when fitting, and do they have any isssues? Seems every other camber plate isn't worth the noise as a road car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:01 AM   #10
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Not to deviate too far from o.o, but I have a related question.

I am also looking for camber plates, and maybe coil overs down the road.

Do any coil overs kits for the f22 offer a camber adjustment, or does that come specifically from the camber plates.

I know a lot of camber plates give stock suspension an issue. Do any camber plates work better with coil overs? Or is it just the entire f22 geometry that raises issues.

Fyi I am m4 lca and ts with dinan springs. I believe I need a small amount more negative camber to clear to fender fully.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

The way the suspension geometry is, there's really no other way to adjust camber other than with camber plates.

OP- Thanks for the quick summary of each brand.
Appreciate 0