E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Mistaken for "highs"

06-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Mistaken for "highs"

So maybe about a month and a half ago, I swapped out my boring Valeo's for a nice new set of Depo's. The bulbs remain halogen and the rings are LED. When I picked up my car, my body guy was like, "Man, those things are bright!". I looked at them and was damn happy the way they looked. Well, since then on the commute home from work during the evening around 9:30pm, I sometimes get the occasional "high beam flash" from other motorists. Not enough to be super concerned that I'm blinding people, but enough to wonder if I should have them repointed. The shop I go to has been in business 30-35 years, so they have to know what they're doing right? They've done my lights before. I don't want to insult 'em and don't want to eff up the great relationship we've fostered over the last7-8 years. Anybody else that have Depos have problems like I do with it being bright as hell? Is this normal? Thanks folks, I'm just wondering if this needs to be sorted out.
      06-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

If you have a good relationship with the shop why don't you go in and explain that your getting flashed and ask if they could possibly angle them down slightly. I'm sure if you have a good relationship with the shop and the work was done recently they wouldn't mind adjusting the headlights for you.

I wish I could comment on the brightness of the Depo's but I do not own a set, maybe someone else can chime in.
      06-10-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Aim it yourself! It's not hard. Follow this guide:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...evised-2nd.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If the rings are too bright, they can definitely cause glare. Especially if they don't dim when the headlights are on.
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
If you have a good relationship with the shop why don't you go in and explain that your getting flashed and ask if they could possibly angle them down slightly. I'm sure if you have a good relationship with the shop and the work was done recently they wouldn't mind adjusting the headlights for you.
Yeah, you're right. My body guy Chuck, he's a good egg. I'll get in there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Aim it yourself! It's not hard. Follow this guide:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...evised-2nd.jpg
Thanks for that. Thing is though, don't shops use a special DOT graph to properly point the lights? I'm a bit weary about "eyeballing" it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
If the rings are too bright, they can definitely cause glare. Especially if they don't dim when the headlights are on.
You know, I think you might be on to something here. The rings don't dim at all. When I got home the first night using them, I stood in front of my car and stared at them for a bit and damn! I also notice that light does cast high and wide, but of course, the main beam is right where it should be...on the road. Yeah, I gotta go and get these checked out.

Thanks for the input peeps.