E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > e90 lci halogen upgrade question

03-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

e90 lci halogen upgrade question

I am interested in upgrading my pre-lci halogen headlights to the lci halogens. I think they look much better, not quite as good as xenons, but a nice upgrade nonetheless. Now the problem, I don't want to pay $600-800 for this, have no real time crunch, so can spend some time looking for a deal one headlight at a time.

Many, if not all, of the used ones I see for sale talk about a broken tab or two. What is the deal with the tabs on these headlights? Why are they so often broken and does the broken tabs preclude them from being installed properly and securely? Thanks in advance for any insight on this upgrade that any one can provide.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Karman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 07 space gray

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES172042/
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Very interesting - instead of building better headlights BMW decides to market a repair kit. 63117182519. I sometimes really wonder about this company.

Answering my own question.... I see they are designed to be flimsy to break away in an accident. OK this is supposed to be less damaging to a pedestrian??? Give me a break. Euro society has gone off the deep end with safety. Anyway is there a kit for the e90?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 03-17-2015 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Bumping my own thread.... I have received one of my lights, the passenger side LCI halogen lamp. I have a couple questions that I hope someone who has done this can help with.

1. Is the AE bulb in the high beam housing the only one? In other words does this one bulb light both angel eyes around the low beam and the high beam?
2. Also inside the high beam housing just above the AE bulb mount is what appears to be an adjuster. Do you know what this adjusts? I am not talking about the adjusters that you see from the outside that adjust head light level.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Bump... I think I got the answer to #1 - one lamp per side for both rings.
Still wondering about what that adjuster type mechanism is inside the high beam housing.

Also as some of you may have also tried to do this on the cheap like I am, and bought used lights with broken top tabs. How big of an issue is it? Looks like the headlights attach to the headlight carrier in a few locations, are those attachments alone enough to keep the headlight fairly secure OR does it really need those top tabs to hold the lights securely?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Bump - I know many on here have had their lights taken out and new ones put in... can someone provide feedback on the importance of the top tabs in securing the headlights? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
E90csl
Instagram @alfred_425
Rep
Drives: White E90

there is tab repair kits that bmw has. check them out, but IMO I'd try to secure the top tabs because they hold it more steady. The headlight might move around on bumpy roads, it might be secure with the headlight support but it only secures the sides it still might move up and down since the top isn't secured and the alignment wont be 100%
      03-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Thanks e90... I am coming to the same conclusion that I need to secure the top tabs. My problem is on one light one of the tabs is totally missing. It doesn't just need a clip like they sell for the e90, I need the whole plastic tab like they sell for the e92. Are the tabs you mention available for the e90?
Appreciate 0