E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Hi! I'm getting the dealer installed iPod thingy need HELP!!!

01-05-2008, 02:45 AM   #1
KungPaoChickenZ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540i

Garage List
Hi! I'm getting the dealer installed iPod thingy need HELP!!!

Hi everyone im gonna get the dealer install ipod adaptor for $750(Labor+Material). i have 2 questions now, No.1 what kind of adaptor am I getting? 6FL or something else that someone can tell me. No.2 is it worth it to get it? BTW i have the newiest Ipod classic 80GB. someone please help me.
      01-05-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannessfuc View Post
Hi everyone im gonna get the dealer install ipod adaptor for $750(Labor+Material). i have 2 questions now, No.1 what kind of adaptor am I getting? 6FL or something else that someone can tell me. No.2 is it worth it to get it? BTW i have the newiest Ipod classic 80GB. someone please help me.
find another dealer, because $750 installed is way too much $. you can get this for $500 or maybe even less installed. You can buy the parts online for somewhere around $250... $500 of labor is insane. Should be about 2-3 hours of labor, max.

You will end up with a cable in your glove box that plugs directly into your IPod, much like one of the ends of the cable that came with it (opposite the USB end). You just plug it in and close the glove box. It is a nice upgrade for your vehicle. I am really happy with mine. The 80 GB classic works, my wife has one and I just popped it into my car to check. However, loading the list of songs/artists can be slow when it is full of songs. I think a newer version of PROGMAN fixes this (28.x?), though I don't have it. I normally use the 8 GB nano and the load times aren't too bad with it.

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

will this work on any car? i have a january production E92 and unfortunately this wasnt an option at the time so im stuck with the crappy AUX input. would this work if i wanted to add it?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
will this work on any car? i have a january production E92 and unfortunately this wasnt an option at the time so im stuck with the crappy AUX input. would this work if i wanted to add it?
Nico... this was an option. It's been an option for a couple of years... the 6FL one wasn't available until post-March 07.

I have this dealer-installed option, called the MOST adapter. I got it installed for $400, but this is from an original price quote of $600. The dealer screwed up and didn't know the 6FL option was coming out. I specifically asked for the 6FL option even though the BMWUSA configurator didn't have it available yet.

It's a good solution if you want the integrated solution with iDrive.

However, there are limitations...

1) 500 artist/list option... so if you have more than 500 artists, 500 playlists, etc... it will only list the first 500. I can only see up to "J" for artists...

2) It uses your CD changer selections... so when it is CD1, it will list playlists. CD2 will list artists. I forget CD3 through 5 hehe... never use it. I think it may be genre... and others... It will load default to CD1. If you switch to CD2, it may take a LONG time to load... like 3 minutes...

Suggestion: create playlists of your songs so that it will load default... so you don't have to switch to CD2.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
It's a good solution if you want the integrated solution with iDrive.
+1 - I didn't mention it in my last post, but with iDrive this makes much more sense to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post
However, there are limitations...

1) 500 artist/list option... so if you have more than 500 artists, 500 playlists, etc... it will only list the first 500. I can only see up to "J" for artists...

2) It uses your CD changer selections... so when it is CD1, it will list playlists. CD2 will list artists. I forget CD3 through 5 hehe... never use it. I think it may be genre... and others... It will load default to CD1. If you switch to CD2, it may take a LONG time to load... like 3 minutes...

Suggestion: create playlists of your songs so that it will load default... so you don't have to switch to CD2.

+1 again... to switch to CD2 it takes me about 20 sec, and this is only on a 8 GB Nano. I tried a 80GB classic that is about 3/4 full last night and it took close to a minute. Again, I thought I read elsewhere here that a PROGMAN update (28.x?) addresses this - search if you don't know what I'm talking about... they will likely have to do a PROGMAN update as part of the install anyways, which is at least one reason why you cannot do the install yourself.

A little pricey, but it is really nice to have access to a lot of music all through iDrive, even though it is still a tad slow for me. I will probably ask for the update at my next service.

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

for that price are they buying you an ipod too?
      01-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
zimbim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 e350 Sport  [0.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I have the ipod adapter and I love it. I was told that the storage is only 250 songs/list so on my cd2 I maxed out a "J". The solution was making playlists, so you can have playlists of artists that begin with "A", "B" etc; as long as it's less than 250 artists, they will all appear. I have the 80 gig ipod and that's how I get around it.
      01-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

Got the glovebox MOST adapter over the summer for around $600. They broke my glovebox lock in the process and had to have that repaired.

As noted, only CD1 Playlists load quickly and everytime you go back to it it goes back to A (the top). CD 2, 3, 4 (artist, album, genre, I think) are slow to load. I have a 4G Nano that's nearly full and they can take up to 1-2 minutes. Once they're loaded and you stay in that category, it's quick, but again it goes back to the top of the list.

I don't know what Progman I have, any more info on any update with faster MOST ipod functioning would be appreciated.

I had the Dension Gateway unit, but the dealer wouldn't code the car for a CD changer, so I returned it. That unit has more ipod-like functionality, as far as searching and displaying information. I figure my car is now coded for a CDC, but didn't think it was worth it to try the Dension--total cost would be like another $700-800 for the unit and install, since I still listen to a lot of Sirius.

The best thing about the MOST adapter is that you can see the info on the idrive; without idrive, I don't think it'd be worth it.

Apparently there's a USB type adapter that they're installing in other countries that's probably like 6FL, but isn't compatible with our US radio unit. I wonder if it will come our way soon. As usual, I'm sure there's no way to find that out until it happens.
      01-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

hmm didnt you say in the other thread that you have the dension hooked up and you loved it??
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

If you meant me, I had the Dension and an installer ready, but dealer refused to code car for CDC. Went for the MOST and sent the Dension back for refund. My next regret will be in a few months when they come out with a 6FL like retrofit.