Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-29-2023, 06:11 AM   #45
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
I use a Garmin Catalyst now, but I used to use TrackAddict on my phone. The G data is pretty consistent between the two for me, so anecdotally as long as you mount your phone somewhere (and it's not just sitting in a cupholder or something), it should be fairly accurate.
Going a bit off topic but what do you like better with the catalyst? Is it the coaching?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 10:47 AM   #46
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Going a bit off topic but what do you like better with the catalyst? Is it the coaching?
I've enjoyed the experience of using it overall:
  • Compared to a more comprehensive setup involving multiple cables, components, and ports, the Catalyst is very easy and quick to setup.
  • My friends also have Catalysts, and it lets you easily compare lap telemetry which is pretty cool.
  • The UI is sleek and easy to use.
  • There are leaderboards where you can see other people's lap times.
  • You can easily watch your laps and make videos of them with overlays, no manual time-syncing of any data required.
  • It tells you your optimal lap time based on your own demonstrated driving.
  • There's also the coaching like you mentioned, although I feel like the usefulness of this varies.

All in all, I think it's the best available package for someone who wants more than a smartphone, but doesn't care to analyze car telemetry data (steering angle, pedal application, etc.) through the OBD port. The price and inability to integrate with OBD are the two main things holding it back imo.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 03:36 PM   #47
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
I've enjoyed the experience of using it overall:
  • Compared to a more comprehensive setup involving multiple cables, components, and ports, the Catalyst is very easy and quick to setup.
  • My friends also have Catalysts, and it lets you easily compare lap telemetry which is pretty cool.
  • The UI is sleek and easy to use.
  • There are leaderboards where you can see other people's lap times.
  • You can easily watch your laps and make videos of them with overlays, no manual time-syncing of any data required.
  • It tells you your optimal lap time based on your own demonstrated driving.
  • There's also the coaching like you mentioned, although I feel like the usefulness of this varies.

All in all, I think it's the best available package for someone who wants more than a smartphone, but doesn't care to analyze car telemetry data (steering angle, pedal application, etc.) through the OBD port. The price and inability to integrate with OBD are the two main things holding it back imo.
Thanks. I've been considering one to use with students as well as my own driving. I do like that it is all in one and easy to use. Agree on price and lack of obd support but then again ease of use trumps extensibility for this kind of stuff imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 05:06 PM   #48
BrendanZ0402
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 GTP 6MT

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
According to your video, you're at 0.6g braking on the straight. You have a LOT more braking force at your disposal. I'm usually around 1-1.2g when braking hard. Your windows won't come up until you brake harder.
FWIW I had plenty of 1.2g+ stops ar Buttonwillow the past weekend with cars in front and had 0 experiences with the frontal collision warning and window coming up/sear going forward..... Just a data point.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2023, 05:46 PM   #49
seals9121
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Yeah, the fact that they don't have a way to turn this off is pretty dumb. Happened to me multiples times last week at Buttonwillow. What's the point of having a track mode if it still thinks you're crashing when you push hard?
happen every lap for me. I just drive with the window close now.
turn the AC max, enjoy my music while doing the lap. it's quiet and fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 03:20 PM   #50
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

2023 Xdrive M3 - No active cruise, have M Drivers Package

Doing some intentional drifting this past weekend. Had windows roll up and seat move forward along with tightening of seatbelt.
Once in driver seat and once in passenger.

Had track mode on. Full DSC off. Had car in 2WD mode.

Also will add that the car during the last run went into engine overheat alarm. Haha.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:02 PM   #51
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reNT View Post
Just got back from a track day and confirming that I haven't experienced any window closing issues. Was braking hard from 132mph down to like 40. My car does have the m drivers package, the one that enables the 10 way traction control and the drift analyzer, not the one that raises the speed limit. If that even matters? Anyways just wanted to share my experience.
My G82 has the same configuration as your. I have done 4 track days this years and my car windows never rollup.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:05 PM   #52
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seals9121 View Post
happen every lap for me. I just drive with the window close now.
turn the AC max, enjoy my music while doing the lap. it's quiet and fun.
Lucky you All the racing tracks I went to will not allow cars with windows rollup during the lap run.
Appreciate 0