United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyfreebooter View Post
as an update, i got a set of Carbotech XP20 fronts and XP10 rears and they fit perfectly on first try, so i must have gotten a weird/bad batch with the cobalts. going to track june 9th and going to be using the cobalts to start
It's not a manufacturing defect or anything like that. The dirty secret with track brake pads is when they say it's a compatible pad shape for caliper X or car Y, they're only considering the shape of the brake pad material. The backing plate, where the brake pad material is attached to, can be a different shape that's not quite compatible. It can even be bad enough that the backing plate can make contact with the rotor hat as the pad wears.

I ruined a set of rotors on a different car due to this issue of the brake pad not fitting quite right so it left a lip on the inside of the rotor that caused a pretty severe vibration.

For some reason, CarboTech makes perfect fitting brake pads for everything they say they support so I'm a huge fan of them.
      06-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #24
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

In the case of Cobalt Racing they are not "winging it" when manufacturing their backing plates. The G80/82 plates were laser scanned from a set of OEM pads that I supplied to them, and the production plates are CNC laser cut. This ensures a match to within a couple of microns of the shape and size of the donor plate. The only difference being that the Cobalt plate does not incorporate an attachment point for a brake pad sensor since they are not used on racing pads. When I received my first set of Cobalts I matched them up to a set of OEMs, and they are exact in all respects. I have no idea what was responsible for the fitment problem that the OP had, but I do not believe it was due to faulty engineering or manufacture. I have now installed 2 sets of fronts, and 3 sets of rears without any issues.

Last edited by Boomer 2019; 06-04-2022 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #25
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

lol. ok. so because you had not had any issues, cobalt must be flawless and it's my fault. username checks out. haha.

i tried all 4 front pads in all 4 slots and the 1 pad didn't fit in ANY position, whereas all 3 remaining pads fit in every position. laser etched or not, the manufacturing was incorrect. it happens. same goes for the rear, 3 of the 4 pads fit perfectly in all 4 positions, 1 pad didn't fit in any position.

certainly willing to try them again if they hold up well on the track, etc. tried the carbotech xp20/xp10 pads and all 8 pads fit without issue.

so one datapoint does not imply that cobalt are bad brakes, nor does it imply that cobalt has a quality control issue, nothing is perfect. given i've tested both cobalt and carbotoech pads in all positions with all combinations of pads, it is certain to say, yea, i got some cobalt pads that were not made correctly. is it a huge deal. no. especially since i was able to workaround the issue. my only concern would have been if i had them at the track and needed to replace brakes while at the track, i doubt i would have packed my hand files and grinder :/
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #26
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
i tried all 4 front pads in all 4 slots and the 1 pad didn't fit in ANY position, whereas all 3 remaining pads fit in every position. laser etched or not, the manufacturing was incorrect. it happens. same goes for the rear, 3 of the 4 pads fit perfectly in all 4 positions, 1 pad didn't fit in any position.
Cobalt Friction is a great company so get in touch with them with your issue and they may be able to solve it for you. They replaced a brake pad for me when an came up.
      06-06-2022, 01:57 PM   #27
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
lol. ok. so because you had not had any issues, cobalt must be flawless and it's my fault. username checks out. haha.

certainly willing to try them again if they hold up well on the track, etc. tried the carbotech xp20/xp10 pads and all 8 pads fit without issue.

so one datapoint does not imply that cobalt are bad brakes, nor does it imply that cobalt has a quality control issue, nothing is perfect. given i've tested both cobalt and carbotoech pads in all positions with all combinations of pads, it is certain to say, yea, i got some cobalt pads that were not made correctly. is it a huge deal. no. especially since i was able to workaround the issue. my only concern would have been if i had them at the track and needed to replace brakes while at the track, i doubt i would have packed my hand files and grinder :/
Put the cobalts back to back against a stock pad and send them the picture showing different size..
      06-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #28
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Put the cobalts back to back against a stock pad and send them the picture showing different size..
at this point, i already filed them down and they are on the car, heading to track thursday
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #29
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
at this point, i already filed them down and they are on the car, heading to track thursday
Wait...so you're just complaining on the internet for a problem you solved!! It must be monday....

Have fun. Send in video or it didnt happen
      06-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #30
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wait...so you're just complaining on the internet for a problem you solved!! It must be monday....

Have fun. Send in video or it didnt happen
i mean, i am not complaining, i said it wasn't an big deal / issue and that i would try them again if they performed well on track. i just wanted to share my experience i had with them. i shared a bunch of posts on here of different products with mostly good/great experiences.

most this thread was about the pads and getting them installed, differences i was seeing with g8x compared to f8x.

its the god damn boomers in the forum.. blame shifting and whatnot, works for them, so no way i could have got a bad pad?? lol, get fukt. boomers bitching endlessly about grills.. i'll probably just use the forums as read-only info if needed from now on. maybe just wait it out until all the boomers die from being old AF and too much exposure to lead paint as kids LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #31
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i mean, i am not complaining, i said it wasn't an big deal / issue and that i would try them again if they performed well on track. i just wanted to share my experience i had with them. i shared a bunch of posts on here of different products with mostly good/great experiences.

most this thread was about the pads and getting them installed, differences i was seeing with g8x compared to f8x.

its the god damn boomers in the forum.. blame shifting and whatnot, works for them, so no way i could have got a bad pad?? lol, get fukt. boomers bitching endlessly about grills.. i'll probably just use the forums as read-only info if needed from now on. maybe just wait it out until all the boomers die from being old AF and too much exposure to lead paint as kids LOL

show me on the doll where the brake pad touched you....
      06-06-2022, 02:37 PM   #32
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
show me on the doll where the brake pad touched you....
OK BOOMER
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #33
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK BOOMER
Well Im 40....and only teasing you.
      06-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #34
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well Im 40....and only teasing you.
i figured as much, i was only teasing too. i appreciate all your posts on the forums and never see you any BS

looking so forward to getting to track on thursday!
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #35
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
i figured as much, i was only teasing too. i appreciate all your posts on the forums and never see you any BS

looking so forward to getting to track on thursday!
Looking forward to read your comments on the pads, I used them for one track day (two more coming this week) and they are the best pads I have ever used. I mean the best freakin pads ever !!! They are awesome and best surprise, tolerable on the street between track days.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #36
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

Quote:
as an update, i got a set of Carbotech XP20 fronts and XP10 rears and they fit perfectly on first try, so i must have gotten a weird/bad batch with the cobalts. going to track june 9th and going to be using the cobalts to start
I recently got a recommendation from a retailer we all know to run XP10s all around - what made you go with the more aggressive pad up front?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #37
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_M3 View Post
I recently got a recommendation from a retailer we all know to run XP10s all around - what made you go with the more aggressive pad up front?
i am primarily at this point only using car for track. i work < 1 mile from office (so i just bike or walk to work) and have other vehicles for town/mountains, etc, so i just don't drive the m3 a lot. not really on purpose, i just don't.

also my main experience on track is an m235iR, so i am used to incredible braking power and i already find the braking to be a bit lacking on the g80 with the cobalts (don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible) and i don't expect it to be the same as the m235iR.

so at this point, i am just trying out different pads and seeing what works for me and what doesn't. no better reason than that, i guess.
Appreciate 1
ATX_M3185.50
      07-06-2022, 02:30 PM   #38
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

Quote:
Quote:
i am primarily at this point only using car for track. i work < 1 mile from office (so i just bike or walk to work) and have other vehicles for town/mountains, etc, so i just don't drive the m3 a lot. not really on purpose, i just don't.

also my main experience on track is an m235iR, so i am used to incredible braking power and i already find the braking to be a bit lacking on the g80 with the cobalts (don't get me wrong, it wasn't horrible) and i don't expect it to be the same as the m235iR.

so at this point, i am just trying out different pads and seeing what works for me and what doesn't. no better reason than that, i guess.
Thx - as good of a reason as any. How's the experience been so far? Put another way, would you order this setup again or try another compound / manufacturer?

Apologies if this is covered in another thread…
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:36 PM   #39
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thx - as good of a reason as any. How's the experience been so far? Put another way, would you order this setup again or try another compound / manufacturer?

Apologies if this is covered in another thread…
so i only have 1 track day on the cobalts (and on the G80), with a second day planned mid/end of july. problem with colorado in the summer, is that HPR (High Plains Raceway) is east of Denver and its hot AF, so generally tend to get out more in sept/oct/nov timeframe.

but i will be post my next experience and certainly what i get a chance to try out the carbotechs, probably swap them out after giving the cobalts another go.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:57 AM   #40
TrackM4x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp xDrive

For those running cobalts, did you have to prep your rotors before installing them. Have two track days on my OEM rotors with OEM pads, unsure if I can just swap them with Cobalt pads and just send it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #41
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Rotors do not need "prepping" in any way when changing from one brand or type of pad to another. In most cases the pads themselves need "bedding in" prior to taking them to a track though. Be sure to read and follow the instructions that come with them. In the case of the Cobalt pads however, they do not require "bedding in". They can be installed, and driven directly onto the track.
      07-08-2022, 08:30 AM   #42
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackM4x View Post
For those running cobalts, did you have to prep your rotors before installing them. Have two track days on my OEM rotors with OEM pads, unsure if I can just swap them with Cobalt pads and just send it.
the cobalts instructions say no bedding necessary, but i find without the bedding, the brake squeaking is very loud, probably little bits stuck on the rotors. a few 80 mph to 20 mph stops and they are back to pretty quiet pads, especially for aggressive track pads, IMHO
Appreciate 1
Kaiz3n0.00
      07-11-2022, 10:58 AM   #43
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

I put the cobalts on after killing my EBC blues after 3 track days, iv been using the cobalts daily and they the squeak a little but nothing horrible. Finally got to track them this past weekend, put about 180 miles on track on them with no issues at track (they got a little smelly, it was 100+ out so got hot quickly) but no reduction in performance i could tell.

Problem now is they squeak like crazy, sounds almost like im grinding metal on metal, any idea what this could be? I can only see the outside pad but they all have plenty of pad left, could the insides have worn significantly more or is it something else, id like not to have to switch to street pads so is there something i can do or is this just what happens?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:02 PM   #44
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
I put the cobalts on after killing my EBC blues after 3 track days, iv been using the cobalts daily and they the squeak a little but nothing horrible. Finally got to track them this past weekend, put about 180 miles on track on them with no issues at track (they got a little smelly, it was 100+ out so got hot quickly) but no reduction in performance i could tell.

Problem now is they squeak like crazy, sounds almost like im grinding metal on metal, any idea what this could be? I can only see the outside pad but they all have plenty of pad left, could the insides have worn significantly more or is it something else, id like not to have to switch to street pads so is there something i can do or is this just what happens?
They're just noisy, i run them on the street and sound like a school bus..