BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-08-2022, 06:19 AM   #23
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Aside from the rims, what is your plan for tires? Dedicated track tires? Or street tires?

I would definitely stick with OEM wheels to take some of the guess work out of it but If you don't have much experience on track I would be cautious with track tires. They are very sticky and offer massive amounts of grip but they also can be very snappy if you don't have a lot of experience and can break away very quickly.

The street tires are a little more progressive when you are still learning the track where as the track tires can give you a false sense of security and then suddenly dump you off the track. It's like they have massive amounts of grip until all of a sudden you push them too far and then you don't.

Also goes without saying, one of the most important things is knowing how to manage your tire pressures or you ruin a good tire in a day very easily

If it was me I would just go to the track and get some instruction on the stock set up, learn how to manage tire pressures and then graduate to a dedicated set of rims and track tires in time once you have mastered the basics of the track and managing the tires etc

You can disregard the above obviously if you have track experience but my sense was that this may be a new thing for you

Good luck out there and the best 'mod' you can do is invest in some track instruction lessons!
Appreciate 1