home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

12-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

OEM Lowering Kit

Does anyone have information on a BMW lowering kit for the G80? My dealers parts department found a listing for the parts but no pricing yet. It appears to drop the car about ¾"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #2
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Yes there will be a M Performance HAS Kit, like there was for the F8x M3/4.
Should be available early next year, but no date yet. Drop will be about 20mm or 3/4". Price in Switzerland is already out, it's around twice the price of other HAS kits. It's manufactured by KW in Germany.
Appreciate 1
BardG211.50
      12-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
Yes there will be a M Performance HAS Kit, like there was for the F8x M3/4.
Should be available early next year, but no date yet. Drop will be about 20mm or 3/4". Price in Switzerland is already out, it's around twice the price of other HAS kits. It's manufactured by KW in Germany.
Thank You! The only reason I thought it's worth considering is due to being developed by BMW M, therefore I wondered if would be "better" than some of the after market products. Is this valid thinking? Or, might the after market solutions be superior?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Erebor
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (G82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Thank You! The only reason I thought it's worth considering is due to being developed by BMW M, therefore I wondered if would be "better" than some of the after market products. Is this valid thinking? Or, might the after market solutions be superior?
That depends on what you mean by "better". The only real upside of the MP HAS is that your cars warranty is still going. Other than that, it is more expensive and offers less lowering. It is also pretty much identical in terms of build quality as the KW HAS, as it's basically the exact same thing with a different paint job and a different spring for higher ride.
Appreciate 1
BardG211.50
      12-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
That depends on what you mean by "better". The only real upside of the MP HAS is that your cars warranty is still going. Other than that, it is more expensive and offers less lowering. It is also pretty much identical in terms of build quality as the KW HAS, as it's basically the exact same thing with a different paint job and a different spring for higher ride.
Good point. Regarding "better" the thought was based on an assumption BMW knows their cars better than anyone, therefore their modifications wouldn't compromise the engineering and intent of the suspension system. However, looks like KW has solid product, I will see if there's a shop in my area who can install it.

Regarding the amount of lowering, I've ordered an AWD car, and we have real winter here. I love a lower car, I hate big well gaps. But is say 1" or maybe more, too much for a car which will be driven in the snow?
Appreciate 0