Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #1
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Flex fuel Sensor for JB4

Hey guys, I dunno if it has been asked already but is there a jb4 flex fuel sensor kit for the G80 platform? Does the F80 one work? I'm looking to run e30 blends and stuff but I'd feel much more confident being able to see the ethanol content rather then rely on my (poor) math/calculations using apps.

What's the most ethanol we can run on JB4 as well? I know some of the fastest guys are running an ethanol and race gas mix. I'm new to JB4/piggybacks so still trying to figure everything out.

Edit -

also I read elsewhere that apparently JB4 only seems to run most efficiently in comfort mode compared to sport plus, is that still the case? Just a rumor/not proven?

Last edited by KevinMO91; 10-09-2021 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      10-09-2021, 06:29 AM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinMO91 View Post
Hey guys, I dunno if it has been asked already but is there a jb4 flex fuel sensor kit for the G80 platform? Does the F80 one work? I'm looking to run e30 blends and stuff but I'd feel much more confident being able to see the ethanol content rather then rely on my (poor) math/calculations using apps.

What's the most ethanol we can run on JB4 as well? I know some of the fastest guys are running an ethanol and race gas mix. I'm new to JB4/piggybacks so still trying to figure everything out.

Edit -

also I read elsewhere that apparently JB4 only seems to run most efficiently in comfort mode compared to sport plus, is that still the case? Just a rumor/not proven?
The kit for the x3m would be the closest match although there still might be some difference in the length of the lines you need, I'm not sure why they haven't made a kit yet. I'm running e30 and for now just calculating / occasionally checking manually. When I asked Terry at BMS about it he didn't think it was a big deal or necessary to run the sensor, as long as you're getting it somewhat close it's going to be fine. Still I agree I would prefer to have the sensor.

Comfort/sport stuff is not an issue. There are definitely differences between the modes in how the car ramps up boost and this involves different modulation of the throttle, which you can see if you log. Possibly the car may overshoot less in comfort which results in less pulling back of the throttle values. But, there is no overall issue that makes comfort better than sport. Anyway with JB4 you can log for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
The kit for the x3m would be the closest match although there still might be some difference in the length of the lines you need, I'm not sure why they haven't made a kit yet. I'm running e30 and for now just calculating / occasionally checking manually. When I asked Terry at BMS about it he didn't think it was a big deal or necessary to run the sensor, as long as you're getting it somewhat close it's going to be fine. Still I agree I would prefer to have the sensor.

Comfort/sport stuff is not an issue. There are definitely differences between the modes in how the car ramps up boost and this involves different modulation of the throttle, which you can see if you log. Possibly the car may overshoot less in comfort which results in less pulling back of the throttle values. But, there is no overall issue that makes comfort better than sport. Anyway with JB4 you can log for yourself and come to your own conclusions.
okay, so the general concensus is that anywhere close to the ballpark of e30 is fine for the car to run with the e30 jb4 map? I have to start logging soon for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #4
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Fuel-IT has an S58 kit listed.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:

Edit -

Because the car has the stock tq limiter it uses the throttle to modulate tq. Efficient mode has the least sensitive throttle. I made less aggressive maps which are still fast in sport plus. Efficient mode makes the car drive like a 340. U can dial in the car to run well in sport plus by how aggressive the map is. Anything over 25-26 psi is pointless with stock tq limiters in place imo
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Fuel-IT has an S58 kit listed.
Only saw one for the S55
https://www.fuel-it.com/flex-fuel-kits-24/

Never mind. Is under the X3M/X4M menu:

https://www.fuel-it.com/bmw-x4m-and-...lex-fuel-kits/

Now the question is, can the sensor and JB4 work together so that JB4 can select the correct map based on the ethanol fuel content registered by the sensor?

Last edited by GixY2K; 10-10-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:44 PM   #7
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLife View Post
Because the car has the stock tq limiter it uses the throttle to modulate tq. Efficient mode has the least sensitive throttle. I made less aggressive maps which are still fast in sport plus. Efficient mode makes the car drive like a 340. U can dial in the car to run well in sport plus by how aggressive the map is. Anything over 25-26 psi is pointless with stock tq limiters in place imo

just sucks because there's a notice exhaust difference between sport plus and efficient even with the valves open. I have my flaps manually open and even in efficient with valves forced open you don't get any of the same noise as sport plus.

It's really annoying. I kinda caved in to get the jb4, wondering if I should of just waited for a dedicated tune as the install of the jb4 was beyond annoying. Went super smooth except for the sensor under the driver side airbox. I ended up breaking the clip. I had to remove the entire sensor just to take it off and plug in the jb4 harness. So now I'm paranoid about that clip.

I'm still waiting to try an e30 blend maybe that will change how I feel
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Now the question is, can the sensor and JB4 work together so that JB4 can select the correct map based on the ethanol fuel content registered by the sensor?
Contact them to check but they did it that way for the S55 and B58 so don't see why not.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #9
PLife
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, G80 M3 xdrive

Quote:
just sucks because there's a notice exhaust difference between sport plus and efficient even with the valves open. I have my flaps manually open and even in efficient with valves forced open you don't get any of the same noise as sport plus.

It's really annoying. I kinda caved in to get the jb4, wondering if I should of just waited for a dedicated tune as the install of the jb4 was beyond annoying. Went super smooth except for the sensor under the driver side airbox. I ended up breaking the clip. I had to remove the entire sensor just to take it off and plug in the jb4 harness. So now I'm paranoid about that clip.

I'm still waiting to try an e30 blend maybe that will change how I feel
The car is still significantly faster with jb4 in sport +. Just saying if you want big power just need to pay attention to the logs and fuel. There is a limit. You cant just crank up the boost to infinity because of the stock torque limiters, thats all.
Appreciate 0