10-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #1
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp

Steering issue?

hi guys/gals,

i am not sure where to post this and will appreciate it if the post is moved if needed.
i have an odd issue. I have the G82 2021. yesterday, while driving home from work, i noticed the steering was not smooth or linear and the car was a bit difficult to handle. steering was in comfort mode. i changed to sport and having driven this and a 440i in sport mode, i didn't have the feel of a sport steering. i thought it felt more or less the same and a bit heavier to turn back to neutral. i know sport steering is stiffer but it was different. as if i had a puncture. i checked the tyres and all green 2.2 bar all over. then increased the pressure to 2.3 and no change.
i wasn't able to rest at home. i thought, is it all in my head? then i drove around and felt the same. at times heavier to turn left, a bit lighter towards the right side. when steering is back to neutral, and driving straight, the car feels heavier to maneuver. the car is a bit of an effort to drive now and i am sure a lot more noticeable on the track. i thought i would sleep it off and when i woke up, it was still the same.

any ideas or suggestions please?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:36 AM   #2
kmscorrado
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, E36 M3

that doesn't sound like a problem you can get from much outside of the steering electronics. Unfortunately you may have to take a trip to the dealership if it doesn't clear itself up.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. I have already booked in with my local dealership for Monday. I am a bit worried that they may not see this as a problem or may dismiss it as a tyre problem although all the rubber is there as I drive like a granny. It drives like a van.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Try turning off all drivers assistance and see if that helps, it will dynamically change steering effort based on lane position. I have it shut off.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Try turning off all drivers assistance and see if that helps, it will dynamically change steering effort based on lane position. I have it shut off.
Hi Thanks very much for that.
The steering assist was off but lane warning was on. I turned all the assists off and just had some spirited driving and I dont feel the heaviness or irregularity in the steering that much. I really hope i am not getting used to it. A tiny bit is still there but I think, if I dont concentrate on it, it wont notice it that much. Its strange because I didnt make any changes in the idrive. It was very sudden. Sat in the car after work and immediately noticed the difference.

I am still going to have it looked at. An M car should be very playful and nothing should interfere with it. I felt like i was sitting back in my old 320d.

Thanks again. Will see how it is in the morning. I cant sleep
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #6
Tommyboy1771
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I remember seeing on Youtube that "What's Your Forte?" had to have his steering rack replaced due to an issue. I can't recall what exactly went wrong but it was repaired under warranty.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 02:37 AM   #7
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy1771 View Post
I remember seeing on Youtube that "What's Your Forte?" had to have his steering rack replaced due to an issue. I can't recall what exactly went wrong but it was repaired under warranty.

Thanks for pointing this out. I watched a few of his videos regarding this steering issue. I really hope mine is simpler to fix but who knows. Like him, I am worried but the dealer not seeing the problem. This morning, I felt there was very minimal difference between comfort and sport and sometimes I have to make more effort to steer to one direction than the other. Noticeably heavier when doing a full turn. It used to be effortless. Let's see what happens Monday. Quite unusual to happen since the car has not been driven hard at all I will feedback here.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
madmedman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to update. I never thought a car's steering would be so sensitive to weather and tyre temp changes. The weather in the uk can change several times a day and as it got a bit warmer, the car started behaving normal. I took it to my Bmw dealer anyway to have it checked out and no issue was found. Have been driving since then and no problems. I hope the problem was related to the tyre temperature and nothing else. Will wait and see.
Appreciate 0