BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

10-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
Oqa22
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C XDrive

Devastated

So after getting the first allocation at my area dealer and waiting 6+ months I finally got my 22 M3C XDrive like 3 weeks ago. Best car I’ve ever owned , more than my F80 & E92. It’s a beauty, Tanzanite on Kyalami. 2 days before My break in service appt was scheduled I decided to finally open her up a bit for a little spirited drive with a couple buddies as I just crossed the 1200 mark. At the end of the drive taking a turn in the intersection just before our destination, I get major oversteer and rock the curb , go up onto the grass. Not sure if it was because of my first time with MDM completely off and not used to it or the massive amount of tire shine the jackass at the car wash threw on even though I asked him not too. In any case, dealers telling me they’ve got to replace the entire steering rack, three of the wheel bearings, and the left rear complete suspension. Total of 15K in repair. I’m honestly so sad and embarrassed that I’m just getting it done and paying the case no insurance no nothing. My main concern is if my car will ever drive the same again. I’ve never even been in an accident before much less paid this much in repairs ever. I’ve always tracked all my previous vehicles and have hit the track at least 2-3 times a month for over the last decade. What do you guys think? You think it’ll come out like it was before this happened or will be dealing with lasting issues/lack of similar performance/feel. Basically do I just have damaged goods now? The dealer is an “M Certified” service dealer and he’s saying it’ll only take about a week and half to fix which I’m not sure how that’s even possible. Sorry guys, thanks for listening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
maelfyn155.00
      10-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #2
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

We all make stupid mistakes. I have made plenty in my life.

Car will be fine and there is zero reason not to get your insurance to cover it. That is why you have been paying for all those years.
Appreciate 3
mattburks750.50
Patton2502938.00
mlc5063.50
      10-01-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Damn, at least you are ok .
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #4
Oqa22
Rep

Yeah definitely. The car looked completely fine, small curb, went up a little grass hill and I just drove back off of it. Literally maybe 2inches of road rash on both drivers side wheels, that's about it. But you are correct, certainly could have been much worse.
Appreciate 1
santox356.00
      10-02-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

One thing is that if you do end up making an insurance claim rather than paying it yourself, that'll be a mark on the car's history and might affect resale value. Probably not by 15k, but there'll be a paper trail.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
Oqa22
Rep

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I chose not to do the insurance route either. But more than anything I just want my car fixed as soon as I can and get it fixed the right way without jumping through all the hoops that come with filing an insurance claim and risk them demanding it being repaired at some random shop. Not that dealers are always the greatest either but still. I just want it to drive like it had been and be able to take it on track without noticing that anything is off and to me that's well worth the money. I mean it's just the steering rack which they are completely replacing and one side of the suspension. Theoretically speaking it shouldn't be something that's gonna be causing lasting noticeable differences in the drive, handling, and overall capability of the car ..right? It's just so upsetting and nerve wracking…like you wait half a year build an incredible car that actually exceeds everything you had imagined it to be and then right as the moment comes to actually be able to experience it at full-bore something like this happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:50 AM   #7
savi01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C

Sorry to hear about the incident! At least you're safe.

Surprised the shop is claiming a week and a half to repair -- with parts so difficult to get a hold of, I would've expected it to take much longer. Is that time quoted assuming they had all the parts available?
      10-02-2021, 01:16 AM   #8
Oqa22
Rep

Yeah i was really surprised to hear that time frame as well. No he said it would that long after having to order the parts. Honestly I'll believe it when it happens. Im guessing it's gonna be more like 3 weeks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:40 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

the street is not the best place to experiment.... specially if it's an new/unfamiliar car

going back to the question... Nowadays cars are made so that parts break without affecting the main integrity of it, so once you replace all the affected parts there should really be no difference, just make sure you get an alignment done afterwards to make sure everything end up within spec...

Also if you can't deal with it... then try to sell the car and order a new one... at least used cars sell for top dollar now so that might help a bit... not sure how long would it be to get the new one though...
Appreciate 1
beachBmmr1437.00
      10-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #10
Oqa22
Rep

Oh I agree, I was by no means driving it how I would have been on track or anything. Just how probably 99% of the people on this forum would have been as soon as they hit the 1200 mile mark. Worst part was that it happened literally at the end of the drive when I had essentially finished pushing it. The service guys even mentioned based on the telemetry readings from the ECU at that moment it didn't make sense how an all wheel drive car turning at that degree and speed with little no input on the gas or brake would oversteer to that extent. They literally asked me if I had driven through some spilled oil on the road, that's what got me thinking that it was probably from the stupid car wash I had gotten hours earlier and accidentally hit the "ultimate" button which was one of those basically fully automated ones that had a machine that just sprays a bunch of tire shine on your wheels on the way out. But still I feel like shit about it cause I've been in oversteer situations like that so many times trying to drift my f80 etc on track and should have been able to correct myself out of it. Hence the embarrassment and devastation. Really the worst kind of situation where you not only mess up your brand new m3 and also question your driving skills at the same time. Probably the equivalent of enthusiast hell
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:43 AM   #11
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oqa22 View Post
Oh I agree, I was by no means driving it how I would have been on track or anything. Just how probably 99% of the people on this forum would have been as soon as they hit the 1200 mile mark. Worst part was that it happened literally at the end of the drive when I had essentially finished pushing it. The service guys even mentioned based on the telemetry readings from the ECU at that moment it didn't make sense how an all wheel drive car turning at that degree and speed with little no input on the gas or brake would oversteer to that extent. They literally asked me if I had driven through some spilled oil on the road, that's what got me thinking that it was probably from the stupid car wash I had gotten hours earlier and accidentally hit the "ultimate" button which was one of those basically fully automated ones that had a machine that just sprays a bunch of tire shine on your wheels on the way out. But still I feel like shit about it cause I've been in oversteer situations like that so many times trying to drift my f80 etc on track and should have been able to correct myself out of it. Hence the embarrassment and devastation. Really the worst kind of situation where you not only mess up your brand new m3 and also question your driving skills at the same time. Probably the equivalent of enthusiast hell
I lost the back end of my F82 just over a year ago at high speed on the motorway. I was in the fast lane, Xmas eve in heavy traffic on a freezing wet road. I was rushing about doing last minute shopping before the stores closed, my fault totally and lesson learned.
After the incident I got towed onto the carriageway, limped home and looked at the damage. The initial impact was on the rear wheel as i came off backwards hitting the kerb hard, because of the heavy undergrowth the front splitter, carbon intake, DCT oil cooler along with lots of plastic trim underneath needed replaced. Soon started to add up, by the time i ordered and fitted these parts including a new wheel/tyre I started to wish I'd claimed my insurance. After a few weeks I got it on the road, initially relieved that all seemed ok I then became aware of a loud drone over 30mph. This turned out to be a wheel bearing. Couple of months later I put the car in to the dealer for service and they notice fluid leaking from the rear driveshaft. This is replaced. Then I became aware of a fluid leak on my garage floor, had a look and it's dripping off the rear diff.
I'm afraid to say I felt the car was never the same afterwards, not sure if this is all in my mind but it was there.
Just be aware that things could get expensive and be sure that you don't get dragged into a financial money pit.
My situation was based on a high speed impact so that's not to say yours is similar or that your car won't be as new once repaired. I actually thought twice about writing this because I didn't want to cast doubt on your expectations. But I did go down the wrong path and just be sure that your initial estimate is as thorough as possible before committing.
Good luck and I hope things work out for you, most important of all your ok and I'm sure we've all learned the hard way at some point.
Attached Images

G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 3
Oqa2210.00
Limegrntaln13408.00
      10-02-2021, 04:59 AM   #12
Oqa22
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Quote:
I lost the back end of my F82 just over a year ago at high speed on the motorway. I was in the fast lane, Xmas eve in heavy traffic on a freezing wet road. I was rushing about doing last minute shopping before the stores closed, my fault totally and lesson learned.
After the incident I got towed onto the carriageway, limped home and looked at the damage. The initial impact was on the rear wheel as i came off backwards hitting the kerb hard, because of the heavy undergrowth the front splitter, carbon intake, DCT oil cooler along with lots of plastic trim underneath needed replaced. Soon started to add up, by the time i ordered and fitted these parts including a new wheel/tyre I started to wish I'd claimed my insurance. After a few weeks I got it on the road, initially relieved that all seemed ok I then became aware of a loud drone over 30mph. This turned out to be a wheel bearing. Couple of months later I put the car in to the dealer for service and they notice fluid leaking from the rear driveshaft. This is replaced. Then I became aware of a fluid leak on my garage floor, had a look and it's dripping off the rear diff.
I'm afraid to say I felt the car was never the same afterwards, not sure if this is all in my mind but it was there.
Just be aware that things could get expensive and be sure that you don't get dragged into a financial money pit.
My situation was based on a high speed impact so that's not to say yours is similar or that your car won't be as new once repaired. I actually thought twice about writing this because I didn't want to cast doubt on your expectations. But I did go down the wrong path and just be sure that your initial estimate is as thorough as possible before committing.
Good luck and I hope things work out for you, most important of all your ok and I'm sure we've all learned the hard way at some point.
Oh man , sorry to hear that. Yeah that's exactly what I'm afraid of happening. But honestly just talking to you guys about it made me feel much more at peace with the situation. If it gets fixed awesome If it keeps giving me trouble well… it is what it is. The things we do for the love of the M. Or maybe that's just me idk lol.

But for real you guys are right this shit happens as long as you can walk away from it that's all that matters so again thank you all.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 05:06 AM   #13
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Quote:
Oh man , sorry to hear that. Yeah that's exactly what I'm afraid of happening. But honestly just talking to you guys about it made me feel much more at peace with the situation. If it gets fixed awesome If it keeps giving me trouble well… it is what it is. The things we do for the love of the M. Or maybe that's just me idk lol.

But for real you guys are right this shit happens as long as you can walk away from it that's all that matters so again thank you all.
It's part of owning a performance car, pushing it to realise the potential is normal. Unfortunately it doesn't always go to plan whether on road or track.
I've driven BMWs all my life and it caught up with me eventually. Could have been far worse, as people pointed out on my pictures I was very close to hitting the barrier and god knows what the story would be then.
You were unlucky and at I'm glad the cars bodywork is untouched
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:17 AM   #14
Oqa22
Rep

Haha exactly it looks pristine from the outside still. And right away I calmly drove off the grass and about 20 miles directly to the dealer. In fact it seemed so benign that I've been having somewhat of an opposite reaction it seems than you may have , meaning I've been feeling like they might be doing a little too thorough of on inspection if you know what I mean. Especially having the replace the steering rack in its entirety. But oh well, no point in dwelling on it now. whether they're ripping me off or not as long a I get it back to how it was, im happy. And like everyone's saying …if its not, then shit that sucks but that's just part of it and 1000 diff things I can do at. That point
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:15 AM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
That's what got me thinking that it was probably from the stupid car wash I had gotten hours earlier and accidentally hit the "ultimate" button which was one of those basically fully automated ones that had a machine that just sprays a bunch of tire shine on your wheels on the way out.
I found out how it happened. Its mad at you for taking it through a tunnel wash. No other explanation. You would have done less damage, if youd just lit the car on fire.

Appreciate 1
maelfyn155.00
      10-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I would 100% go thru insurance

I was just going to make the point above that the guy with the F82 made.

I've seen this before with side impacts to wheels, you could have damaged the diff or drive shafts and who know what else and they might not know until it's all put back togeather and road tested

This can all be fixed but bill could start to creep higher and higher which would be my concern

I wouldn't care about the carfax, just get it fixed on insurance and get it fixed properly. Enjoy the car and if the car has a diminished value in a few year so be it. Atleast your selling the car to the next person and being fully transparent rather than hiding the damage and telling them the car was never in an accident which is not good karma either
Appreciate 1
Seedster2256.00
      10-02-2021, 06:52 AM   #17
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Ugh sucks. Yea I can totally see how it would be tough to decide to go insurance or no insurance. Pros and cons either way.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:05 AM   #18
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I also think this is why I'm going to just lease mine. Get it fixed, and not worry about it when its time to return it. It's guaranteed, as long as its repaired properly.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #19
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
Ugh sucks. Yea I can totally see how it would be tough to decide to go insurance or no insurance. Pros and cons either way.
You're paying 2 grand a year or whatever for this exact situation.

Would the repair end up on the history of the car anyway/carfax? BMW will have to disclose it either way right?

I'm struggling to see the downsides of insurance.

I think they will be slow gathering all the parts also, no way they get this done in two weeks would be my guess which makes me think insurance is a no brainer but it's your call. That's a big number to eat which could easily creep higher
Appreciate 1
Seedster2256.00
      10-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Yeah. A lot of crashes usually happen when you are getting home, cause you unconsciously lower your guard cause you are almost there and the mind is not 100%

There was a research done a while ago on it

https://www.truscellolaw.com/blog/20...s-happen-home/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #21
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Tire shine is no joke. I fish tailed on a freeway on ramp coming back from the detail/tint shop. Be careful
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

File a claim.

Chances are they will find more stuff as it's being repaired, so that $15K could turn into 20 or 25.

The repair will most likely make it to carfax anyway (like all other dealer service) so you're not really gaining anything by paying out of pocket.
Seedster2256.00