09-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #89
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinsrighthand View Post
Some of the crazy stuff I see here is insane. I am a BMW tech, no one is looking at logs to see if you had exceeded a certain acceleration or torque value. No one is looking to see if a boost value was ever exceeded, or if ignition timing was ever advanced beyond a certain limit. I'm not sure where these conspiracies come from. Can that data be pulled up? Yes but not by a dealership, you'd have to have an insane claim or be acting pretty shady for any of that to be looked into. There are certainly cases where you will be automatically flagged from flash tunes when data is transmitted via ISTA to BMW but realistically if you're just using a piggy back and you pull it off before going in it's not likely you'll have any issues. Now that's not a guarantee, so don't come at me if you get a claim denied it's all at your own risk. But these crazy ideas that a tech is gonna waste his flat rate time to deny your claim is pretty wild.
This. I've only ever done piggybacks, but never removed them for dealer work, except when I spun my hub in the F80. It went right to my shop, and I bypassed the dealer all together in that case. Otherwise, they've never even batted an eyelash. For most work, the logs won't be an issue. For an engine rebuild/blown motor/bent rod, that claim is likely going to BMW first, and then logs will be pulled. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.

I still remember picking up my F31 years ago, and my *salesperson* asked when I was going to slap on a tune and lower it

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #90
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato2084 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Which leads me to the question of "why does one need to crack into anything on these cars any "tune" them? For Christ sakes man, are you not getting enough power for a $80,000 car?
Personally I have the opposite perspective where I feel like paying a very high price for a vehicle means I should be getting more out of its output capabilities if a tune is available and reasonable. Even though out of the box these are still fantastic motors, it's a limited version of what you should be experiencing for the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachDinanFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1984 View Post
Wait, this is great, do you have a link, I need to read it.
I read the thread in the FB group, not sure how to post a link unless you're part of the group. Search I'm sure you'll find it.

But manufactures have emission regulations that need to be met for the car to be approved for individual countries. Not to mention fuel consumption, if every car was running at their highest output we would have to wear masks for more then one reason. Regulatory has a lot to do with what is allowable in a final product.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 07:07 PM   #91
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Some of the crazy stuff I see here is insane. I am a BMW tech, no one is looking at logs to see if you had exceeded a certain acceleration or torque value. No one is looking to see if a boost value was ever exceeded, or if ignition timing was ever advanced beyond a certain limit. I'm not sure where these conspiracies come from. Can that data be pulled up? Yes but not by a dealership, you'd have to have an insane claim or be acting pretty shady for any of that to be looked into. There are certainly cases where you will be automatically flagged from flash tunes when data is transmitted via ISTA to BMW but realistically if you're just using a piggy back and you pull it off before going in it's not likely you'll have any issues. Now that's not a guarantee, so don't come at me if you get a claim denied it's all at your own risk. But these crazy ideas that a tech is gonna waste his flat rate time to deny your claim is pretty wild.
I agree with most of your points. I said before, no normal tech gives 2 shits what you have done to the car. Just the same, the tech will not be able to help you if you blow something up. When I spun my hub I told them I wanted it fixed ASAP. They could not touch the car till a BMW something came to diagnose what happened. They know the car was tuned. I told them I expected no warranty anything and just fix it. It took 7-8 days for the guy to come and check out the problem. For the 1,000 th time. If you tune the car, with anything and have a catastrophic failure. You are fucked my friend. So anyone reading all these threads and are on the fence, just know this is how it will go down. BMW is not going to build you a new engine without looking at every parameter of what was happening. Good luck
Which leads me to the question of "why does one need to crack into anything on these cars any "tune" them? For Christ sakes man, are you not getting enough power for a $80,000 car?
It's only 500 HP. Who can live with that😳🤣
Appreciate 4
mattburks750.50
Ibiza3599.00
Remonster824.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #92
Kivilig
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with most of your points. I said before, no normal tech gives 2 shits what you have done to the car. Just the same, the tech will not be able to help you if you blow something up. When I spun my hub I told them I wanted it fixed ASAP. They could not touch the car till a BMW something came to diagnose what happened. They know the car was tuned. I told them I expected no warranty anything and just fix it. It took 7-8 days for the guy to come and check out the problem. For the 1,000 th time. If you tune the car, with anything and have a catastrophic failure. You are fucked my friend. So anyone reading all these threads and are on the fence, just know this is how it will go down. BMW is not going to build you a new engine without looking at every parameter of what was happening. Good luck
So by these flash, how many hp will be added to the v8 engines?
I have x7 m50i
Will it get to 612 of alpina?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #93
bmwmastertech
Rep
Drives: All Models

Quote:
They wouldn't see boost was 10psi above since the JB4 connects to and alters the signals for both boost sensors. They'd see boost is at factory levels.
This is not true we have plenty of ways to see overboost. Just because it doesn’t store a fault in the main memory doesn’t mean it isn’t stored into another area of the DME that only we can see.
Appreciate 1
330iToy71.00
      09-29-2021, 02:39 AM   #94
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmastertech View Post
Quote:
They wouldn't see boost was 10psi above since the JB4 connects to and alters the signals for both boost sensors. They'd see boost is at factory levels.
This is not true we have plenty of ways to see overboost. Just because it doesn't store a fault in the main memory doesn't mean it isn't stored into another area of the DME that only we can see.
I think you're missing the point here, in order for the DME to record boost in excess of limits, it has to know that boost exceeded the limit. Piggybacks operate in a way in which the DME is tricked into believing less boost is being produced than it actually is.

That said, even with a piggyback, there are various other ways to conclude that a device was used to produce more power.

There are ways in the software (manipulation of characteristic curves, etc,) to make the car produce more boost without the ECU being fully aware, and this wouldn't show up on max pressure logs either.

Regardless, at this point, BMW is obviously paying close attention, and everyone that modifies their car to output more should expect closer inspection should a claim arise that is potentially the result of demanding more than the manufacturer specification - regardless of the method used.

Every thread seems to turn into a warranty discussion. Kudos to Femto for providing a solution for flashing. Now it really comes down to ease of use as sending your ECU for a one time flash is not a practical solution, but still worth it for the minority that are willing to "pay to play".

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 3
JTO245271.50
Ibiza3599.00
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-29-2021, 06:50 AM   #95
BMWF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Trackhawk

I've turned two tuned (F80 and a 335xi) into the dealer off lease, the dealer CPO's both of them and sold them WITH the tune still on it. I am fully aware that BMW can detect any tune you put on it, but the CPO process is a bunch of BS and the dealer does nothing, they just mark the car up slap a CPO on it and sell it.
Appreciate 2
Ibiza3599.00
      09-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #96
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
Back on track, any dyno numbers yet?
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post28043682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
But manufactures have emission regulations that need to be met for the car to be approved for individual countries. Not to mention fuel consumption, if every car was running at their highest output we would have to wear masks for more then one reason. Regulatory has a lot to do with what is allowable in a final product.
Mostly marketing. They literally put the same motor in different trims of the same car and it makes different amounts of power. It's relative to their competition from other OEMs as well as preventing competition in their own lineup. You can rest assured that when the new M2 is revealed, its S58 will be turned down even more than a base G8X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
I've turned two tuned (F80 and a 335xi) into the dealer off lease, the dealer CPO's both of them and sold them WITH the tune still on it. I am fully aware that BMW can detect any tune you put on it, but the CPO process is a bunch of BS and the dealer does nothing, they just mark the car up slap a CPO on it and sell it.
Just to add a viewpoint from the other end of the fence, multiple people have bought CPO cars and had warranties denied because they didn't know the car was tuned when they bought it. So it can pretty pretty crappy for the next guy.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
Salespunk1745.00
      09-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #97
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
Every thread seems to turn into a warranty discussion.
This is what I find so odd. I don't think it is particularly unclear: trying to obtain warranty for motor-related damages on your tuned motor is highly unethical. That said I do think this is a minority of customers that tend to post more often in this threads. The rest of us are prepared to accept risk/liability--pay to play!

Don't have a G8x but will be watching eagerly as I fully expect the S58 hp numbers to surprise everyone.

Apologies if this has been addressed earlier, but does the Fontoevo's solution potentially apply to MEVD17.2.G?
Salespunk1745.00
BPMSport3386.50
      09-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #98
xcusem3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivilig View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So by these flash, how many hp will be added to the v8 engines?
I have x7 m50i
Will it get to 612 of alpina?
You can tune your 50i to over 600hp very easily but you won't have the oil cooling, turbos, intercooler capacity, etc. to safely run at 600hp, like the Alpina and the real M engines do
      09-29-2021, 10:06 AM   #99
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmastertech View Post
Quote:
This is not true we have plenty of ways to see overboost. Just because it doesn’t store a fault in the main memory doesn’t mean it isn’t stored into another area of the DME that only we can see.
Overboost can be caused by more than just a tune. Which you should know. Also, as a tech there is nothing that "only you can see" anyone can purchase ISTA and a subscription. The only people who can see anything more than us as techs are the engineers back at base. Secondly with a piggy back the Map sensor won't relay the actual boost to the DME in the first place. Really though, as many have said tune at your own risk. But scare tactics like this are pointless
Appreciate 2
mattburks750.50
stefan2349.50
      09-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #100
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
I would be surprised if your lease cars still had a tune. All software would be updated and settings wiped from the prior owner. :
      09-29-2021, 11:01 AM   #101
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
This is what I find so odd.
It's always someone saying "I'd never send my ECU to Russia", "I'd never install a tune on my car", etc, etc. Who the fuck cares what you won't do to your car and why are you even reading/posting in this thread then?
Appreciate 5
russell21147.00
Ibiza3599.00
mattburks750.50
PLife647.50
      09-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #102
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
It's always someone saying "I'd never send my ECU to Russia", "I'd never install a tune on my car", etc, etc. Who the fuck cares what you won't do to your car and why are you even reading/posting in this thread then?
Never said that. I said pay to play. As in you won't find me frantically looking for ways to hide modifications so I can obtain warranty for the components I just blew on my tuned BMW. It's this unethical and shady behaviour I find odd.
      09-30-2021, 02:40 AM   #103
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Pro Tuning Freaks can't be far off now as well!
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      09-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #104
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Pro Tuning Freaks can't be far off now as well!
Just waiting on these guys lol…
      09-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #105
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Never said that. I said pay to play. As in you won't find me frantically looking for ways to hide modifications so I can obtain warranty for the components I just blew on my tuned BMW. It's this unethical and shady behaviour I find odd.
Fair enough but many people continue to waste their and our time by posting all the things they won't do in threads like this as if anyone really cares. Gets tiresome. The forum is for discussion about things that those who want to modify can do.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #106
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Just waiting on these guys lol…
I pinged them since I had BM3 before. They didnt indicate something was coming any time soon.
      09-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #107
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Any idea as to whether this unlocking ability extends the newer F87 DMEs as well? My '21 M2C is as-yet untunable!
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #108
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
Any idea as to whether this unlocking ability extends the newer F87 DMEs as well? My '21 M2C is as-yet untunable!
There is another solution for 2021 M2c, few of them are already tuned
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:42 AM   #109
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
There is another solution for 2021 M2c, few of them are already tuned
?!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #110
AlpineWhite_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 G80 M3C, 21 X6 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:
This. I've only ever done piggybacks, but never removed them for dealer work, except when I spun my hub in the F80. It went right to my shop, and I bypassed the dealer all together in that case. Otherwise, they've never even batted an eyelash. For most work, the logs won't be an issue. For an engine rebuild/blown motor/bent rod, that claim is likely going to BMW first, and then logs will be pulled. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.

I still remember picking up my F31 years ago, and my *salesperson* asked when I was going to slap on a tune and lower it
Thank for this. I'm a tech too, sometimes when I read these conspiracies I just laugh. It really hard to get a car flagged. I get tuned m3/m4 or any bmw really weekly. The computer only says that the car may have a tune but it's not like it's automatically flagged. Bmw really needs to sit down a look at those thing if they wanted too. I'm not saying go and tune you're car, things can happen and bmw will find out if they really want to. I had all my cars tuned my F80/F87 and now my G80 with no problems…
Appreciate 0