BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

08-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
F3XX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Car Washing Supplies

I'm just trying this thread out to see if we can come together and talk about what are the best car wash products we have all used. Towels, soaps, wash mitts, etc.

Personally I loved chemical guys and their products but after a couple of weeks listening to other forum members, I've realized that chemical guys is just a marketing company with ok products that work but aren't that amazing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Here is a start-

Wheels-ps breakbuster
Soap- meguiars hyper wash
Towels and mitts- anything from rag company
Windows- invisible glass
Sealant- ps bead maker

There is plenty of videos on YouTube to get you started. Watch out though, once you go down the detail hole you never get out
Appreciate 8
Limegrntaln13021.50
F3XX18.50
element561089.50
KANdaddy2421.00
BTC Maxi414.00
      08-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3XX View Post
I'm just trying this thread out to see if we can come together and talk about what are the best car wash products we have all used. Towels, soaps, wash mitts, etc.

Personally I loved chemical guys and their products but after a couple of weeks listening to other forum members, I've realized that chemical guys is just a marketing company with ok products that work but aren't that amazing.
Buckets 3: Wheels, Soap, Rinse sponge (alternatively, I use 5 wash mitts at a time)
Soap: Gyeon Bathe or Koch Chemie GSF
Wheels: P&S brake buster works well, or Meguiars D143
Towels/ Mitts: Microfiber Madness Incredimitt (5, one for top, 1 for each side one for front, one for back, never have to rinse out the mitt)
Windows: Invisible Glass is pretty legit, although, I would always glass coat all of my cars.
Sealant: Again, I would Ceramic Coat the car, no questions asked. And not use anything to dry the car, except compressed air. Either by way of a leaf blower, or similar.

Wax and Sealants: Jescar PowerLock Plus, Collinite 845, Fusso Coat by Soft99.

Consumer Grade ceramic coats would be:
GTecnhiq CSL/ ExoV4.
Kamikaze Zipang Coat.
C-Quartz U.K. 3.0

Stay Away from Shine Armor, or F-11 TopCoat. Its hot garbage.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3XX View Post

Who’d you hear that from? Sounds like a hater!

Solid recommendations here so far. I’d be curious to see feedback on any ceramic sprays anyone has used. Seems to be the way to go for those who want the protection, but also wash on a regular basis. I used a ceramic spray from Supreme Detail Supply (Eric from Envious Detailing’s line) and was very impressed. Never felt something so slick and performance in all categories was amazing. Never tracked it properly for durability, but it was easily six months or more.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:36 PM   #5
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Nettles, have you PPF your vehicle in Orange County at Envious? or do you have any recommendations for San Diego or OC ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #6
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

I do find it awfully interesting that Chemical Guys has literally 8-10 different tire dressing choices. Like, geez. They seem to have so many of the same thing. So I do think there is a level of marketing in there. Kinda like fishing lures, some have caught me way more than any fish. Plus, on a whim I purchased a Jay Leno brand tire dressing a Walmart a few months ago. It beats any of the 5 different ones I have from Chemical Guys. I've spend some major money on Chemical Guys, no real complaints but definitely going to branch out to 'high end' stuff and see.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      08-28-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Washing mitt: from chemical guys (the neon green one), hold a ton of water. Seams rip apart after a while, but inexpensive to replace.

Towels: various microfiber and drying towels from Chemical Guys and RagShop. RagShop is my choice going forward. Also use microfiber specific soap to wash everything, and let them air dry. Material seems to stay softer longer now.

Soap: Was using ChemGuys (the yellowish one) but left the bottle at the busing car wash station and someone stole it. Smh. Upgraded to Lusso Auto Bathe and I'm not going back. It's amazing (albeit expensive.) No foam cannon, just two bucket.

Glass: something from ChemGuys I think..smells like grape, the fiancee loves it! Haha. Works well.

Sealant: was using Hydrosilex. Changing to Griots 3-in-1 Ceramic after reading some comparisons and seeing a friend switch. Hoping for good things. Seems to be even stronger than Hydrosilex on durability and resistance to water/bugs, etc. Great option of you don't want "true" ceramic.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Who’d you hear that from? Sounds like a hater!

I’d be curious to see feedback on any ceramic sprays anyone has used. Seems to be the way to go for those who want the protection, but also wash on a regular basis.
I had good experiences with Hydrosilex. Just switched to Griots 3-in-1 Ceramic (the neon green one) based on a friend's recommendation (he was the one who originally recommended Hydrosilex but later switched himself). So far I'm impressed.

Do a dry application though. Doing it while the car is wet wastes lots of product and doesn't allow an even coating.

This was the review that convinced him to switch...

https://youtu.be/Gf8yHNB23jM
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

The Tutlewax pro products are excellent.https://www.turtlewax.com/collection...-solutions-pro
Yes the same Turtlewax that we all associate with our parents or grandparents and was/is a joke.
I know it's hard to believe but this stuff is not that and is the real deal.
I haven't tried using the spray as a drying agent or just spraying and rinsing. I can't see how this would be good idea.
I've only used on dry just washed cars.
I will say that it can be a lot of work to not get streaking on dark finishes with the liquid wax and spray wax.
I find that this is usually a case of using too much product and/or contaminated towels.
As mentioned get high quality lint free microfiber towels that you've correctly washed before use.
Most importantly with this or any product don't try and use one towel for the whole car or you'll end up in tears.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 2
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      09-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

For My G80 i'll be putting the roar professional grade ceramic coating on the car as my main source of protection. For washing soaps i typically use Gyeon bath essence(weekly), and restart wash(every 1.5 months). For wheel cleaner ive tried Sonax, gyeon wheel cleaner, and PS brake buster and of the three I cannot tell a difference. For tire protection I'm going to give Carpro Blackout a shot and see how that goes but I'll likely be using Gyeon tire as well. For the interior Gyeon leathercoat, and Gyeon interior detailer, as well as P&S interior cleaner. Finally as a finish or sacrificial layer on the Paint i alternate between using Kamikaze overcoat and Polish angel High gloss. High gloss doesn't repel dirt as good as I would like but the shine it gave my silverstone F80 was absolutely unreal. These personally are my favourite products after tons of my own personal testing. I also like to use a snowfoam even though it really doesnt do much and for that i LOVE Koch Chemie Gentle snow foam( I've started to mess around with their products and look forward to more of them coming to canada).I want the best for my M3 and I am very happy with what I currently have.
22 G80 M3 XDrive
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      09-12-2021, 11:25 PM   #11
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modat View Post
Here is a start-

Wheels-ps breakbuster
Soap- meguiars hyper wash
Towels and mitts- anything from rag company
Windows- invisible glass
Sealant- ps bead maker

There is plenty of videos on YouTube to get you started. Watch out though, once you go down the detail hole you never get out
Yeah I am many$$$ in. Chemicals rags oh and a pressure washer 😜. Wife thinks I am crazy but likes when I clean her car!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #12
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

I swear by Griot's garage wash, speed shine, spray wax, tire shine and other supplies. For microfiber towels and wash mitts, I use Rag Company. I just got their "The Gauntlet" drying towel and I'll never use anything else for drying now. Just ordered a few more. I also have the attached set up, along with the Griot's bucket with wheels. I wheel everything out of the garage, do my wash and then wheel it back in.

For windows, I use Turtlewax glass towels and invisible glass. I picked the glass towels up at target on a whim and they work great.
Attached Images

09-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #13
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally truly a no lint soft microfiber towel!

Finally truly a no lint soft microfiber towel!

From my review at auto geek. https://www.autogeek.net/edgeless-po...loth-12pk.html

Despite what all the usual suspects promised to be lint free towels for me they all shed and left highly visible debris on black cars. I had nearly given up that this was possible.
Well I'm happy to report the Cobra Woobie microfiber towel finally delivered a lint free experience! These are perfect and highly recommended.
The only other lint free microfiber towel I've used is the 3M Perfect-It III 12.5" X 14" Blue Super-Soft Micro-Texture Auto Detailing Cloth. It's not nearly as soft as the Woobie but great for cleaning paint, removing compound and polish etc. The Woobie is my choice for final finish.
As always wash before use following manufacturers directions, store them in a contamination free environment and don't try and use one towel for the whole car and they don't last forever
I did wash them with P&S Double Black Rags to Riches Detergent before use. Did this help? IDK I washed all my other towels with it separately and they still had lint.
https://www.autogeek.net/ps-double-b...detergent.html
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      09-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #14
aford
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Current rotation:

Soap: Adam's Mega foam in the foam cannon
Wheels: PS break buster
Buckets: 3 (wheels, soap, dirty)
Pressure washer
Windows: chemical guys green solution ( can't remover what it's called)

In between regular washes I've been enjoying Adam's ceramic waterless wash. Really boosts my Crystal Serum Lite ceramic I have.

All of the above is on my X4MC

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Executive Committee Member for Light The Night. You can help. Donate here.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

I use a foam cannon with three wash mits, one bucket and follow up with Turtle wax spray. Also I use Maguires hot rim cleaner and it works good.My cars are garaged mostly and I wash them weekly in most cases. I never used ceramic coatings before and when I get my car, I may skip ceramic again and also PPF.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 02:20 AM   #16
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
The Tutlewax pro products are excellent.https://www.turtlewax.com/collection...-solutions-pro
Yes the same Turtlewax that we all associate with our parents or grandparents and was/is a joke.
I haven't tried using the spray as a drying agent or just spraying and rinsing. I can't see how this would be good idea.
I will say that it can be a lot of work to not get streaking on dark finishes with the liquid wax and spray wax.
I find that this is usually a case of using too much product and/or contaminated towels.
As mentioned get high quality lint free microfiber towels that you've correctly washed before use.
Most importantly with this or any product don't try and use one towel for the whole car or you'll end up in tears.
I wanted to update longer term results with the Turtlewax Pro products.
The Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax is still a pain to right but I'm getting better. The truly lint free towels really help.
But it still has what I'd describe as a secondary flashing issue. Everything looks great with no streaks but after 5-10 min the streaks come back. A quick wipe and they're gone. It's very odd.
Beyond a beautiful deep finish there is virtually no dust build up even after a week of driving.
This has always been and issue for me with ever other spray detailed or topper.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #17
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
Turtle Wax with carnuba Spray
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
F3XX18.50
      10-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #18
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Carpro Iron for wheels
Adams PH neutral soap
Nice Merino wool wash mitt
2 Bucket method
Glassparency Boost to get the paint to pop quick detailer or Gtechniq C2v3
Cordless blower to dry the car. The less you touch the paint the less marring and swirl marks.

Chemical guys is crap would never use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #19
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

CR Spotless is a nice thing to have especially if you have hard water or need to wash in the sun.
Mines at least 15 years old and works great.
I change the resin twice a year.

https://crspotless.com/product/dic-2...olling-system/
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13021.50
      10-02-2021, 10:24 PM   #20
dadcab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

What I use

Hardware
Active VE52 pressure washer
Uberflex 50 foot hose
MTM SGS35 spray gun
MTM PF22.2 foam cannon
MTM stainless steel quick disconnects
Griots Garage Boss foam cannon
Three buckets (wash, rinse, wheels) (walmart for buckets and dollys)

and the products

PREWASH: Adam’s Polishes Mega Foam or Gyeon Foam

WASH: Carpro Reset and Gyeon Restart for monthly maintenance and Gyeon Bathe for regular washes

TIRES: Carpro PERL 1:1 for tire shine or Adam’s Polishes Graphene Tire Dressing and Adam’s Polishes Wheel and Tire Cleaner

INTERIOR: Carpro PERL 1:5 (uv protection) and Carpro Inside 1:10 or Gyeon Interior Detailer

SEALANT: Gyeon Ceramic Detailer or Carpro Reload or Carpro Hydr02

QD: Carpro Elixir or Gyeon Quick Detailer

GLASS: Carpro Clarify and Carpro Eraser

MICROFIBER: The Rag Co eagle edgeless 500 for detailing (6+), The Rag Co premium FTW for the windows (3+), The Rag Co Ultra wash pad (top of car), The Rag Co Ultra wash mitt (for bottom of car), The Rag Co Gauntlet drying towel (2)
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13021.50
element561089.50
GregM41309.50
psylovibe1030.00
      10-02-2021, 11:25 PM   #21
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Hardware
Uberflex 50 foot hose
MTM SGS35 spray gun
MTM PF22.2 foam cannon

and the products

WASH: Carpro Reset and Gyeon Restart for monthly maintenance and Gyeon Bathe for regular washes

TIRES: Carpro PERL 1:1 for tire shine or Adam’s Polishes Graphene Tire Dressing and Adam’s Polishes Wheel and Tire Cleaner

INTERIOR: Carpro PERL 1:5 (uv protection) and Carpro Inside 1:10 or Gyeon Interior Detailer

MICROFIBER: The Rag Co eagle edgeless 500 for detailing (6+), The Rag Co premium FTW for the windows (3+), The Rag Co Ultra wash pad (top of car), The Rag Co Ultra wash mitt (for bottom of car), The Rag Co Gauntlet drying towel (2)
Wow that's some setup!
Motivation for me to get organized.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #22
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Hardware
Uberflex 50 foot hose
MTM SGS35 spray gun
MTM PF22.2 foam cannon

and the products

This guy details
Appreciate 1
SintAFM208.00