BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #45
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
This video highlights the need for AWD, if you care about acceleration (and I do). I know everyone is talking about the improved grip of the RWD G8x relative to the F8x, but I don't believe it will translate to a big difference in real world conditions and with tires that have more than a few hundred miles on them. These RWD cars are so traction limited, you feel like you aren't getting to access 20% of the car. If you daily drive these cars, I can't imagine not wanting the AWD version. I bet Matt would have heavily sided with the M3, if it were the much quicker and more capable AWD variant.
How about 2 car lengths on stage 2 s55 cars while still in break in period.
Where is this? From the videos I've seen, Stage 2 S55 is still a bit faster than stock M3/4 S58
Personal experience,
From a dig dramatically faster.
From a 60 dead neck and neck.
Racechip on map7 walks stage 2.
Would love to see some vid comparisons
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #46
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
This video highlights the need for AWD, if you care about acceleration (and I do). I know everyone is talking about the improved grip of the RWD G8x relative to the F8x, but I don't believe it will translate to a big difference in real world conditions and with tires that have more than a few hundred miles on them. These RWD cars are so traction limited, you feel like you aren't getting to access 20% of the car. If you daily drive these cars, I can't imagine not wanting the AWD version. I bet Matt would have heavily sided with the M3, if it were the much quicker and more capable AWD variant.
How about 2 car lengths on stage 2 s55 cars while still in break in period.
Where is this? From the videos I've seen, Stage 2 S55 is still a bit faster than stock M3/4 S58
Personal experience,
Would love to see some vid comparisons
I'll get with my buddies asap
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 10:11 PM   #47
Dr. Ice
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 991.2 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Based on my multiple back-to-back 992 C2S/G82 drives, I believe they're actually surprisingly close. The Porsche is the superior drive as expected. The G82 offers a tantalizingly low-compromise ownership experience, while coming in with a very competitive drive. Looks aside, I wouldn't be surprised to see BMW M peel off a few Porsche customers with the G8x's better practicality and increased comfort with little practical performance penalty.
It did me.. Just sold my 911 c2s today for a big profit and have a 2022 AWD M3 Competition sitting at a port in Germany. Looking for something a little more practical despite being an empty nester. If I don't like it I will go back to a 911.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4255.50
      07-31-2021, 04:14 AM   #48
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Personal experience,
The S55 flashed does 100-200kph (62-124mph) in low 7s. The S58 comp is high 7s to flat 8. There is a considerable gap there.
      07-31-2021, 09:39 AM   #49
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Personal experience,
The S55 flashed does 100-200kph (62-124mph) in low 7s. The S58 comp is high 7s to flat 8. There is a considerable gap there.
Don't know what to tell you
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #50
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to.

07-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #51
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You don't have to.

Interesting….

Maybe I am mistaken
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #52
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting….

Maybe I am mistaken
A mild tune without touching hardware gets the F8X to run neck to neck with G8X Comp stock, indeed. Both will do high 7s in 100-200kph.

Keep in mind, high 7s is bonkers strong for a none ground up sport car like M. It's the 992s, AMG GTS territory.

I've been drag racing F8X for the past 5 years and know a bit about it.
      07-31-2021, 10:04 AM   #53
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting….

Maybe I am mistaken
A mild tune without touching hardware gets the F8X to run neck to neck with G8X Comp stock, indeed. Both will do high 7s in 100-200kph.

Keep in mind, high 7s is bonkers strong for a none ground up sport car like M. It's the 992s, AMG GTS territory.

I've been drag racing F8X for the past 5 years and know a bit about it.
Just asked him what map he was in, but he sleeps in
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 10:06 AM   #54
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The OTS (off the shelf) 93 OCT flash tune, designed to work with high flow or catless downpipe. Nothing else needed.

AKA STG2 map.
      07-31-2021, 10:39 AM   #55
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The OTS (off the shelf) 93 OCT flash tune, designed to work with high flow or catless downpipe. Nothing else needed.

AKA STG2 map.
Yeah he was stage 2 with 2 gallons of e85

We were neck and neck from 60 to about 120 when we let out.

Maybe he was spinning
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:04 PM   #56
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Interesting….

Maybe I am mistaken
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #57
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Interesting….

Maybe I am mistaken
Pump the brakes Nissan 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #58
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

What's also worth mentioning is that Stage 2 S55 with OTS vs Custom Tune makes a significant difference.

So it might be close versus an OTS tune while Custom Tune might definitely be faster
      08-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #59
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What's also worth mentioning is that Stage 2 S55 with OTS vs Custom Tune makes a significant difference.

So it might be close versus an OTS tune while Custom Tune might definitely be faster
He thinks he left traction control on as well
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #60
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
If I very carefully go through the nutty Porsche configurator and select ONLY items that my relatively low-spec M3 6MT has (Exec pkg, parking pkg, very little else and missing Blind Spot monitoring as my car was a weird HEA car), I end up with a US $40,440 difference between the two cars. I can't make them exactly equal, I have a 6MT and the Porsche has a PDK, but also the Porsche is lacking a HUD (which I love).

That continues to answer any "is this a good comparison or not" questions for me. I can have my car AND a Miata for the same price. Or my car and a spare X2 for winter driving. Prices on car comparisons don't have to exactly match...but they have to be closer than that.
That's what I end up with also. A $40K difference between these two. I did some extended test drives in the 992 and it's very nice. But it's kind of hard to push it to the limit on the street and I have no plans to take a $120K car to the track. And if I'm not pushing it to the limit, will I really see a difference between a 992 and a G8x (except the obvious practicality difference)? I'm not sure, because it's impossible to test drive a G8x. BMW dealers tell me the M3/4 is too rare and special so I have to go on faith and reviews apparently. But that's besides the point.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #61
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
Having owned 991s and 3 M3s, these cars are just so different, and comparing them really just doesn't make sense except to generate content on a slow day. The quality and driving of the 911 is just on another level than the M3 (and even the M8.) The m3 is easier to push to the limits than the 911. If you want to push the 911 to the edge, you need to be a good driver with experience. Porsche is a superior brand and that's okay. Different price points for a reason. Either car you end up with, you will have a smile on your face.
Couldn't have said it any better. My car goal is to get into a 911 GT3. Just need that bigger garage and home first.
Guy's, let's face it, the G8x is a gateway car. Once you have had one, the only way to trade up is a 911…
Or a C8 Z06!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #62
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ice View Post
It did me.. Just sold my 911 c2s today for a big profit and have a 2022 AWD M3 Competition sitting at a port in Germany. Looking for something a little more practical despite being an empty nester. If I don't like it I will go back to a 911.
I had a 2015 991 C2s and while it was the best handling car I have ever had, I dare to say that I was bored in it unless you drove it fast. Had it 3 1/2 years and traded for a Panamera 4s so I could take my family in my fun car. Needless to say, that car lasted 4 months with me and sold it for a nice profit even after 4 months due to covid.

Now have a 2022 M3 base in production and can’t wait. I can take my family with me in my weekend car and will have a manual back after 12 years. My other car is a 2020 unlimited rubicon so the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #63
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
I had a 2015 991 C2s and while it was the best handling car I have ever had, I dare to say that I was bored in it unless you drove it fast. Had it 3 1/2 years and traded for a Panamera 4s so I could take my family in my fun car. Needless to say, that car lasted 4 months with me and sold it for a nice profit even after 4 months due to covid.

Now have a 2022 M3 base in production and can’t wait. I can take my family with me in my weekend car and will have a manual back after 12 years. My other car is a 2020 unlimited rubicon so the best of both worlds.
I think I'm looking at the exact same cars as you, although unlike you, I haven't owned any of them.

- Porsche 992: I love it but after driving it for a day I came to a similar conclusion. If I'm not driving it fast, it's a little boring. I still like it but I do worry that I may get bored with it and wonder why I paid so much money for a car.
- Porsche Panamera: My wife loves it. I also think it looks great but I'm not really interested in a big luxury sedan.
- Porsche Cayman: This is the car I love the most, hands down. Even the 4-cylinder base model puts a smile on my face. It's not exactly the car I need though with a family. I also wonder if the small sports car thing wears off after a while and then I'm left driving around in a small impractical car.
- G80: I have one on order.... I'm not crazy about the look, but it's good enough. I have also never actually driven one. I sure hope it's good. I know it has crazy performance, but I hope it has some of the charm of the Cayman even at sane speeds on the street. Crossing my fingers....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #64
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Quote:

I think I'm looking at the exact same cars as you, although unlike you, I haven't owned any of them.

- Porsche 992: I love it but after driving it for a day I came to a similar conclusion. If I'm not driving it fast, it's a little boring. I still like it but I do worry that I may get bored with it and wonder why I paid so much money for a car.
- Porsche Panamera: My wife loves it. I also think it looks great but I'm not really interested in a big luxury sedan.
- Porsche Cayman: This is the car I love the most, hands down. Even the 4-cylinder base model puts a smile on my face. It's not exactly the car I need though with a family. I also wonder if the small sports car thing wears off after a while and then I'm left driving around in a small impractical car.
- G80: I have one on order.... I'm not crazy about the look, but it's good enough. I have also never actually driven one. I sure hope it's good. I know it has crazy performance, but I hope it has some of the charm of the Cayman even at sane speeds on the street. Crossing my fingers....
Have not driven the 992, but once again,l bet it would have the same result with me. Fun to drive at fast nonlegal speeds, but not so much in typical suburban driving.

The Panamera drove way smaller than it's size and handled great, but was a boat and did not last long for me. Even at 43 I might have been the youngest driving an old man's car as well lol. At least from all of the other drivers I saw.

At the end of the day, I wanted 4 doors and fun to drive, but not a boat. So M5 was out and M3 fit the bill. And a manual after 12 years of not having, perfect. I do tend to go through cars quickly, but for me the 911 was the peak and I have been there done that. Don't need that type of car and don't miss it.
      09-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #65
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Panamera drove way smaller than it's size and handled great, but was a boat and did not last long for me. Even at 43 I might have been the youngest driving an old man's car as well lol. At least from all of the other drivers I saw.
I'm driving a Tesla Model S these days and feel exactly the same. The thing is super cheap to maintain and stupid fast in a straight line. But it's a boat. A big boat. I don't like switching cars often because it's expensive. But I'm so done with it. I hope the M3C can keep me entertained. It's also quite big but I wouldn't call it a boat.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #66
Flying05
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Quote:
I'm driving a Tesla Model S these days and feel exactly the same. The thing is super cheap to maintain and stupid fast in a straight line. But it's a boat. A big boat. I don't like switching cars often because it's expensive. But I'm so done with it. I hope the M3C can keep me entertained. It's also quite big but I wouldn't call it a boat.
My parents have a model s and absolutely love it. Out of all of the Mercedes and Porsches they have owned, this is their favorite 5+ years running now. That said, they are also in their early 70's and have two other fun cars to drive. Having multiple definitely helps with boredom at least in my case. But hear you for sure on the Tesla. Does nothing for me.