BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #23
Hanibal74
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDRive

There is a about a 100k difference in price between these two specs in AUS:
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #24
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
Nope they are so different and the 911 is so much more rewarding to drive in every sense of meaning.

Also I look back at the 911
Yet here you are...
Appreciate 6
      07-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #25
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

If I very carefully go through the nutty Porsche configurator and select ONLY items that my relatively low-spec M3 6MT has (Exec pkg, parking pkg, very little else and missing Blind Spot monitoring as my car was a weird HEA car), I end up with a US $40,440 difference between the two cars. I can't make them exactly equal, I have a 6MT and the Porsche has a PDK, but also the Porsche is lacking a HUD (which I love).

That continues to answer any "is this a good comparison or not" questions for me. I can have my car AND a Miata for the same price. Or my car and a spare X2 for winter driving. Prices on car comparisons don't have to exactly match...but they have to be closer than that.
Appreciate 5
      07-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #26
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi587 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
Having owned 991s and 3 M3s, these cars are just so different, and comparing them really just doesn't make sense except to generate content on a slow day. The quality and driving of the 911 is just on another level than the M3 (and even the M8.) The m3 is easier to push to the limits than the 911. If you want to push the 911 to the edge, you need to be a good driver with experience. Porsche is a superior brand and that's okay. Different price points for a reason. Either car you end up with, you will have a smile on your face.
Couldn’t have said it any better. My car goal is to get into a 911 GT3. Just need that bigger garage and home first.
Guy's, let's face it, the G8x is a gateway car. Once you have had one, the only way to trade up is a 911…
LSM1118.00
jonahk703.50
paliknight2191.50
kjx3189.50
      07-24-2021, 02:00 AM   #27
_E90S65_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Ugh, revving with soft limiters…
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 04:34 AM   #28
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
They got a really boring 911 spec. White, small wheels, black interior. :/
To be fair (and in line with other comments about different price classes etc.) he did mention they had purposely gone for a 'base' model Carrera with no options.

At least here in the UK (with enough restraint to ignore the trinkets on the options list) the M4 Comp (the only version we'll get, at least until the CS!) and the standard Carrera 2 are within £8k or circa 10% at list price. The M3 Comp is another £2k cheaper, but even then the base 'on the road' price is within £10k of the 911.

I suppose the key difference is you'll get better discounts and finance offers from BMW than you will on a 911!!

Having said all that I would definitely not say no if someone offered me the key to either of these cars. Yes, the M3 will be faster in straight line, which of course is not the be all and end all (e.g. Audi), and I'm under no illusions they offer similar driving experiences…
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
LBBF87524.50
      07-24-2021, 12:20 PM   #29
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason60051 View Post
New 911 looks like a$$…the new gt3 with all the black plastic is terrible.
I agree. 991 911 GT3 is perhaps my favorite racecar looking Porsche. But I really do like the new 992 Turbo.
Appreciate 1
The Dad87.50
      07-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #30
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
Yeah, 4 door sports sedan vs 2 door sports car, makes no sense. Let's do a Subaru BRZ or Mazda Miata VS M4 comparison to level the playing field. Kidding, but it is aggravating….
Maybe he couldn't get an M4 for the test, but the drive will be the same.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #31
canadianbimmerlover
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M, Z4 M, M2C, M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
If I very carefully go through the nutty Porsche configurator and select ONLY items that my relatively low-spec M3 6MT has (Exec pkg, parking pkg, very little else and missing Blind Spot monitoring as my car was a weird HEA car), I end up with a US $40,440 difference between the two cars. I can't make them exactly equal, I have a 6MT and the Porsche has a PDK, but also the Porsche is lacking a HUD (which I love).

That continues to answer any "is this a good comparison or not" questions for me. I can have my car AND a Miata for the same price. Or my car and a spare X2 for winter driving. Prices on car comparisons don't have to exactly match...but they have to be closer than that.
Biggest gripe I have with Porsche. Everything is optional and the car is twice the base price by the time you're done. Agree they are very different cars. M xDrive is superior to Porsche's system when you're having to drive in snow - that's a common refrain up here in the great white north.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #32
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

This video highlights the need for AWD, if you care about acceleration (and I do). I know everyone is talking about the improved grip of the RWD G8x relative to the F8x, but I don't believe it will translate to a big difference in real world conditions and with tires that have more than a few hundred miles on them. These RWD cars are so traction limited, you feel like you aren't getting to access 20% of the car. If you daily drive these cars, I can't imagine not wanting the AWD version. I bet Matt would have heavily sided with the M3, if it were the much quicker and more capable AWD variant.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #33
///Motivated
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i, i3

The tires are a great point. I was reading all the complaints about the inability of the F80 to hook up (which I noticed) and was jealous about how much better the G80 was purported to be. Well, I just had to replace the MPSS tires after 31k miles on my F80. On roads where I would slip and slide at part throttle I was now WOT and completely hooked up. It makes me wonder how many of these comments are based on no one remembering how their car drove with new tires while comparing to a brand new car with new tires.
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      07-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #34
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Motivated View Post
The tires are a great point. I was reading all the complaints about the inability of the F80 to hook up (which I noticed) and was jealous about how much better the G80 was purported to be. Well, I just had to replace the MPSS tires after 31k miles on my F80. On roads where I would slip and slide at part throttle I was now WOT and completely hooked up. It makes me wonder how many of these comments are based on no one remembering how their car drove with new tires while comparing to a brand new car with new tires.
Plus, most people put 1200 miles on the tires for new cars before ever getting on them due to the break in period. That first 1000 miles is premium grip.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 12:39 PM   #35
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
To be fair (and in line with other comments about different price classes etc.) he did mention they had purposely gone for a 'base' model Carrera with no options.

At least here in the UK (with enough restraint to ignore the trinkets on the options list) the M4 Comp (the only version we'll get, at least until the CS!) and the standard Carrera 2 are within £8k or circa 10% at list price. The M3 Comp is another £2k cheaper, but even then the base 'on the road' price is within £10k of the 911.

I suppose the key difference is you'll get better discounts and finance offers from BMW than you will on a 911!!

Having said all that I would definitely not say no if someone offered me the key to either of these cars. Yes, the M3 will be faster in straight line, which of course is not the be all and end all (e.g. Audi), and I'm under no illusions they offer similar driving experiences…
Watched a UK video on the C8. Forgetting about price gouging dealers here, the car would MSRP ~ $85,000--3LT, Z51, etc. In the UK with all of the import, taxes, and so on, the Vette would cost about the same as a 992 C4S. The difference here would be at least $55,000 in MSRP. The price was 132,000 Pounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #36
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanibal74 View Post
There is a about a 100k difference in price between these two specs in AUS:
I'd move in a heartbeat ‼️
      07-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #37
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mat didn’t launch the car correctly. He kept leaving before the launch control was fully activated, so he was basically taking off (in 2nd?) without building up boost. He achieved a 3.7 0-60 during his previous review where he did launch it correctly. The G8x absolutely puts its power down much better than the F8x.

The difference in straight line performance between the G80 Comp and the base 992 is pretty stark. Frankly, even a 992 S doesn’t quite match the Comp’s in-gear acceleration. That’s based on actual firsthand experience.

I personally expended a lot of effort finding multiple 992s to vigorously test drive during this shortage. I can say definitively that the difference between the M3 and the current 911 C2S is as small as it’s ever been. In fact, putting aside looks, it’s quite conceivable that there will be people out there who’ll outright prefer the M3 this time once things like cost and amenities are considered. We’ve already seen a professional review or two state as much.

I preferred the 992 S, but by a smaller margin than I expected, and there were situations where I felt the G8x performed better (straight line, and certain high speed corners with little to no elevation change - G8x weight becomes more apparent when asked to control its movement along the vertical axis). Verified after multiple drives.
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2021, 09:11 PM   #38
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyRoger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
"bUt YoU cAn'T CoMpArE BmW wItH pOrScHe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
"bUt YoU cAn'T CoMpArE BmW wItH pOrScHe"
Nope they are so different and the 911 is so much more rewarding to drive in every sense of meaning.

Also I look back at the 911
Like a G80 vs older Ms.....better by every metric except the one that counts most for me: feel, experience, emotion.

To each their own.....

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #39
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
Watched a UK video on the C8. Forgetting about price gouging dealers here, the car would MSRP ~ $85,000--3LT, Z51, etc. In the UK with all of the import, taxes, and so on, the Vette would cost about the same as a 992 C4S. The difference here would be at least $55,000 in MSRP. The price was 132,000 Pounds.
Yep they're not the same good value in the UK they are in the US, but that's generally been the same with any US import here and certainly Vettes.

That's another reason they've not caught on in the same way over here - for the money there's just too many other good cars (and let's face it many with better quality interiors etc versus the older Vettes), so you really have to want one, if they were the same price as the US that's a different story.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #40
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
This video highlights the need for AWD, if you care about acceleration (and I do). I know everyone is talking about the improved grip of the RWD G8x relative to the F8x, but I don't believe it will translate to a big difference in real world conditions and with tires that have more than a few hundred miles on them. These RWD cars are so traction limited, you feel like you aren't getting to access 20% of the car. If you daily drive these cars, I can't imagine not wanting the AWD version. I bet Matt would have heavily sided with the M3, if it were the much quicker and more capable AWD variant.
How about 2 car lengths on stage 2 s55 cars while still in break in period.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #41
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Where is this? From the videos I've seen, Stage 2 S55 is still a bit faster than stock M3/4 S58
      07-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #42
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Where is this? From the videos I've seen, Stage 2 S55 is still a bit faster than stock M3/4 S58
Personal experience,
From a dig dramatically faster.
From a 60 dead neck and neck.
Racechip on map7 walks stage 2.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519214.50
      07-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #43
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
I personally expended a lot of effort finding multiple 992s to vigorously test drive during this shortage. I can say definitively that the difference between the M3 and the current 911 C2S is as small as it’s ever been. In fact, putting aside looks, it’s quite conceivable that there will be people out there who’ll outright prefer the M3 this time once things like cost and amenities are considered. We’ve already seen a professional review or two state as much.
Yeah I think you were referring to Jonny Lieberman;

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/

Quote:
While I have yet to slide behind the wheel of an E30 M3, I've driven more than my fair share of every other generation of M3. Years ago, I drove an E46 M3 back-to-back on a track with a 997-generation Porsche 911 Carrera S. The E46 was nice and fun and all that, but the 911 seemed twice as quick and 50 times as good. You wouldn't really think to ever compare the two. Fast forward, and not only did I have this pig-faced M3 at home, but also a Porsche 911 Carrera S manual. I took both Germans up the same road on the same day—the best way there is to compare cars. The BMW felt quicker, and according to our test numbers, it is. I'm almost positive that on a racetrack, the 519-pound-lighter Porsche would find a way to exert its supremacy—that's what Porsches do. But in the canyons? Where both cars will be driven the majority of the time? I'd rather have the 2021 M3 Competition.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-27-2021, 06:12 AM   #44
M3CQM
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Champagne Quartz

Unfair?

Top 3 series car against a base 911?
Appreciate 0