BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

06-28-2021, 10:19 AM   #1
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

Car wash Towel recomendation

Hi Guys,

I have been using a wash less car wash cleaner for awhile but on the M i am having problem with lint being left behind, i ordered new microfiber chemicals brothers towels and it didn't help, not sure what im doing wrong but i can't get the windows clean. They are streak free, but little lint pieces are left everywhere.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

They make special microfibers especially for glass. There is a crap ton on amazon. Just search for "glass microfiber"
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #3
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

I always wash new towels before use.
Follow manufacturers instructions.

For glass I use invisible glass with a waffle weave microfiber towel then when they're dry I lightly wipe them down with an old newspaper with as little printed color as possible.
Do it right and the glass will disappear.
Old detailer trick.

Oh and get a reach tool like this to make things easy for the interior windshield and back window.
Attached Images

Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
CAS_M3
///M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 on Order

Chemical Guys' Woolley Mammoth .
      07-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Also, make sure not to use a fabric softener sheet when you dry them as it will make them less absorbent.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #6
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been using a wash less car wash cleaner for awhile but on the M i am having problem with lint being left behind, i ordered new microfiber chemicals brothers towels and it didn't help, not sure what im doing wrong but i can't get the windows clean. They are streak free, but little lint pieces are left everywhere.

thanks
Go old school and use a newspaper. Works awesome. You can also use the Mothers rubber clay bar on them. Gets off all the fine debris. Then, ceramic the windows but not the windshield
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Rag Company. Please stay away from Chemical Guys. For the love of god. Stay. Away.
Appreciate 3
themnmd1691.00
Der_Wolf888.00
Limegrntaln13438.00
      07-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
Hi Guys,

thanks
Go old school and use a newspaper. Works awesome. You can also use the Mothers rubber clay bar on them. Gets off all the fine debris. Then, ceramic the windows but not the windshield
I sometimes use that Mr. Clean white cleaning pad thing, followed by invisible glass
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I sometimes use that Mr. Clean white cleaning pad thing, followed by invisible glass
Just to clean them or to clean and coat them with something?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

personally I'm a big fan of Griot's Garage products. Chemical Bros. is good marketing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #11
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Just to clean them or to clean and coat them with something?
Oh sorry just to clean! Or you can clay bar the window. The result is about the same
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 02:24 AM   #12
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Rag Company. Please stay away from Chemical Guys. For the love of god. Stay. Away.
First hand experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #13
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Quote:
How come? I have 2 of their waffle weave (?) towels and they do a really good job of drying the car after I spray it with Meguiars Quick Wax shine as you dry. One worked fine with wringing out; with 2 don't need to. Just sweep them over the car--very little need to "wipe."
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #14
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly9987 View Post
First hand experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteflier View Post
How come? I have 2 of their waffle weave (?) towels and they do a really good job of drying the car after I spray it with Meguiars Quick Wax shine as you dry. One worked fine with wringing out; with 2 don't need to. Just sweep them over the car--very little need to "wipe."
CG is purely a marketing company. Kind of like the Bang Energy of the detailing world and their marketing works because at the end of the day there is always someone recommending one of their products.

First hand experience has taught me their products are very inconsistent and confusing to say the least. They rebrand the same item a million different ways to sell (marketing) and a few years back no one could tell the difference between many of their products. I remember having a gallon of glossworkz and their instructions were conflicting with what was truth. Point being if you’d like to give your money to a company that is run by these types of people and take that gamble on what works and what doesn’t then by all means go for it. There are many reputable and consistent companies out there that deliver quality products and they range from the affordable to more “premium” labels. I’m not a fan of giving my money to a company like this when I can support and receive much higher quality from others. Especially in a world where a new detailing line pops up every other week. Just my two cents to help those on this forum.
Appreciate 4
      07-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #15
Telly9987
Just a guy with a heavy foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Appreciated. So your issue is more with the company then with the products EXCEPT for your few interactions where products weren't correct or something else rebranded. While for major major detailing Griots is IMO the platinum level, ive used CG for quick detailers and waterless stuff and never had an issue. BUT not saying I won't in the future. Good advise! Thanks

Quote:
CG is purely a marketing company. Kind of like the Bang Energy of the detailing world and their marketing works because at the end of the day there is always someone recommending one of their products.

First hand experience has taught me their products are very inconsistent and confusing to say the least. They rebrand the same item a million different ways to sell (marketing) and a few years back no one could tell the difference between many of their products. I remember having a gallon of glossworkz and their instructions were conflicting with what was truth. Point being if you’d like to give your money to a company that is run by these types of people and take that gamble on what works and what doesn’t then by all means go for it. There are many reputable and consistent companies out there that deliver quality products and they range from the affordable to more “premium” labels. I’m not a fan of giving my money to a company like this when I can support and receive much higher quality from others. Especially in a world where a new detailing line pops up every other week. Just my two cents to help those on this forum.
Appreciate 1
Nettles761.00
      07-06-2021, 02:27 PM   #16
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly9987 View Post
Appreciated. So your issue is more with the company then with the products EXCEPT for your few interactions where products weren't correct or something else rebranded. While for major major detailing Griots is IMO the platinum level, ive used CG for quick detailers and waterless stuff and never had an issue. BUT not saying I won't in the future. Good advise! Thanks
You’re most welcome. I’ve used many of their products first hand to give that anecdote and also try to stay up to date on detailing products. I spend a good amount of time reading reviews and watching/reading comparison reviews. CG always falls short in comparison so that coupled with their marketing tactics is what deters me from ever spending my money with them. Griots is a great company and delivers consistent results and is readily accessible for most. You definitely got my point. Cheers
Appreciate 3
      07-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #17
Soylent
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C

Quote:
You’re most welcome. I’ve used many of their products first hand to give that anecdote and also try to stay up to date on detailing products. I spend a good amount of time reading reviews and watching/reading comparison reviews. CG always falls short in comparison so that coupled with their marketing tactics is what deters me from ever spending my money with them. Griots is a great company and delivers consistent results and is readily accessible for most. You definitely got my point. Cheers
Thanks for this information. I've always wondered about the many different CG products with their multiple colors an sweet smells. I going to give those blue towels from Rag Co a try and maybe see what Griots is all about.
Appreciate 1
Nettles761.00
      07-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Quote:
This. 100% this. Rag Company is what top-of-the-line detailers use. Chemical Guys are like the as seen on TV products when it comes to detailing.

The edgeless line from rag company has never treated me wrong. Love their stuff

edit: My detailer turned me on to Rag Company a while ago and said similar stuff to what was posted above about CG. He not only does my detailing but also detailing for private exotic car dealerships and high-end, classic cars that will be auctioned off. I treat anything he says as gospel, and he has no kickback or anything from rag company.

///M
Appreciate 1
Nettles761.00
      07-21-2021, 07:15 AM   #19
DandyDan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4C IOMG

I use Gyeon Q2M Glass and then wipe it off with one of their microfiber towels. Actually I use many of their products and I think they are top notch when it comes to cleaning your cars.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13438.00
      07-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #20
F3XX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Which drying towel do you recommend from the rag co.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #21
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3XX View Post
Which drying towel do you recommend from the rag co.
I’m personally a fan of waffle weave drying towels so check theirs and see if it fits your preference. Waffle weave + drying aid is a great way to dry your car. You think it won’t work, but it does like magic. I just used Bead Maker as a drying aid awhile back and was very satisfied with the results. Leaving a little protection is the cherry on top of all that gloss. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #22
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

A great drying towel is the Dreadnought drying towel.. I think the original is from Chemical guys but you can get an amazon version that works the same. Two of those towels can completely dry your entire car.
Appreciate 0