BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #67
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

My experience with Evolve and MSS is that they have very good support and stand by their products. I installed an F82 MSS Spring kit on my F87C and they sent me the required parts free of charge from the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #68
krakenXIV
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: G82 '21 / Mini SE '22

Just read the entire thread; Mine are being installed on the 8th of July (Vast Performance, Ferndale).
I'm also getting the 12/15mm wheel spacers from IND with these springs.

Quite excited about it after having read all of the comments here.
Definitely will follow up with photos.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #69
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenXIV View Post
Just read the entire thread; Mine are being installed on the 8th of July (Vast Performance, Ferndale).

You will be happy with the way it rides and handles as long as you don't slam the rear. It remove some squat from acceleration and deceleration and reduce roll on corners as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #70
krakenXIV
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: G82 '21 / Mini SE '22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
You will be happy with the way it rides and handles as long as you don't slam the rear. It remove some squat from acceleration and deceleration and reduce roll on corners as well.
Nice

Definitely not going to slam it too much.
I drive around the Detroit area (pothole / shitty road city).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #71
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Im happy with this--- I know the suspension police will possibly chime in saying lowering ruins the car LOL but for my personal needs (which are great in this day and age LOL) Im good with the form change over the very very slight negligible loss in function that other F1 drivers here will most definitely notice.

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
JTO245274.50
      07-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #72
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenXIV View Post

Wish you had these already! I'm visiting Ferndale now and would love to see it in person. Actually, I have yet to see another M3/4 in person other than mine. Never thought it would be Ferndale potentially haha!
      07-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #73
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18

Just received my MSS kit today. I've not seen any pics of this kit on a G82 yet. Likely will get it installed this weekend or early next week. Plan on doing 25 mm drop in the front and 20 mm in the rear! I'll post some initial pics and after it settles.
      07-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #74
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel16 View Post
Just received my MSS kit today. I've not seen any pics of this kit on a G82 yet. Likely will get it installed this weekend or early next week. Plan on doing 25 mm drop in the front and 20 mm in the rear! I'll post some initial pics and after it settles.
nice!! make sure you measure before and after so you can adjust again after things settle.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:08 PM   #75
spridge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

I'd like to pause this thread for a quick and mostly on topic shout-out… I originally ordered the KW HAS kit in April, and as you probably know, they had some challenges and their initial kits now won't be available until at least August. When I was notified of the latest delay, I cancelled the order and placed a new order for MSS HAS kit with Evolve. I was worried about how long it would take to ship from UK to Ohio as I had hoped to install the new springs over the long Independence Day weekend, but somehow the magicians at Evolve had the MSS kit delivered to me in a little more than 5 business days, without charging me a huge premium for international shipping. I followed the shipment on the carrier website and I was really worried yesterday when the package arrived in Belgium. Somehow it made it to my door today. Thank you Evolve! Those guys rock and no US customer should hesitate to order from them just because they're on a different continent!

We now return you to your regular programming. Thanks again Evolve Automotive !
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
barryc3651954.50
      07-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #76
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Well the MSS kit got installed.

My friends shop got me the kit and did the install and did a great job.

Jury is still out, the front did not drop much and the rear dropped more than expected.

We have measurements, we will follow it as it settles.

Its been a weird day so I don't want it to cloud my judgment on ride etc until I put some real miles in it. The car rode so well before these were installed so I hate remembering that in my memory as I chose to lower the car.

I will add to this as miles accumulate. Right now I would say rear needs to go up 5-7mm and front down 10mm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:59 AM   #77
FITM3NT
Potato peeler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Well the MSS kit got installed.

My friends shop got me the kit and did the install and did a great job.

Jury is still out, the front did not drop much and the rear dropped more than expected.

We have measurements, we will follow it as it settles.

Its been a weird day so I don't want it to cloud my judgment on ride etc until I put some real miles in it. The car rode so well before these were installed so I hate remembering that in my memory as I chose to lower the car.

I will add to this as miles accumulate. Right now I would say rear needs to go up 5-7mm and front down 10mm.
Did you have the shop set the adjuster on the lowest setting for the front?
      07-02-2021, 08:38 AM   #78
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITM3NT View Post
Did you have the shop set the adjuster on the lowest setting for the front?
Yes. It is annoying how much guess work is needed for this kit. It settled some today, rear has to be raised or spacers smaller ( I could maybe swap front and rear 10/13.) The car rubs ever so slightly at speed on dips. Regardless the rear is coming up 5-8mm. The front is a work in progress.

Ride is getting better, I was annoyed at first but I think the car and I are adjusting to each other. Plus I have less than 50 miles on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:53 AM   #79
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes. It is annoying how much guess work is needed for this kit. It settled some today, rear has to be raised or spacers smaller ( I could maybe swap front and rear 10/13.) The car rubs ever so slightly at speed on dips. Regardless the rear is coming up 5-8mm. The front is a work in progress.

Ride is getting better, I was annoyed at first but I think the car and I are adjusting to each other. Plus I have less than 50 miles on it.
I think one thing to note is that we have electronically(magnetically?) controlled dampers. I am sure there is some sort of adaptation period. How much gap did you leave on the rears?

Also its never gonna feel like stock, whenever you lower and compress the shock more than it is intended to sit at, it will affect ride quality. I do feel all bumps but ride quality improved over time. I am sure once we both raise the rears it will improve.

I did the same with my spacers. I had 12 up front and 10 rear but switched them to 10 front and 12 rear
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #80
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think one thing to note is that we have electronically(magnetically?) controlled dampers. I am sure there is some sort of adaptation period. How much gap did you leave on the rears?

Also its never gonna feel like stock, whenever you lower and compress the shock more than it is intended to sit at, it will affect ride quality. I do feel all bumps but ride quality improved over time. I am sure once we both raise the rears it will improve.

I did the same with my spacers. I had 12 up front and 10 rear but switched them to 10 front and 12 rear
What EDC setting are you on? Im on comfort with the oem set up so I cant get any softer.

We dont have the magnetorheologicals but I wish we did as they are hands down the best dampers in the business for daily sports car driving. I dont think the EDC adjusts outside of the settings but who knows but a BMW engineer.

Im going to have r33_RGSport use the MSS bump stops and follow what the other user did in relation to that for the front and also not max the rear out.

Im still annoyed that its going to take, per Evolve, over 4 digits in miles to settle which is just, for a lack of a better word, unsettling LOL.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #81
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Agreed, I have lowered almost all my cars except the GT3 and my 930. But, to be honest, the hype about MSS not just about this car but my RS3 too was so alluring.

Before I even started I was more than fine with the wheel gap in the rear, it looked lowered from the factory. It was the 3 plus fingers in the front, coupled with the 19/20 setup. It just bugged me.

I am not a H&R guy, at all.

So I had to try. I am driving around in Sport setting to sort of make as bad as it will get kind of training and went to comfort to feel the changes. I will get through it haha. The rears are going up as soon as it settles. Honestly I could have left the rears alone and I would have been fine other than mismatched springs but will raise the MSS to stock height if I have too....besides as I have droned on about, I want the rake.

I guess we can form a MSS support group
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #82
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
What EDC setting are you on? Im on comfort with the oem set up so I cant get any softer.

We dont have the magnetorheologicals but I wish we did as they are hands down the best dampers in the business for daily sports car driving. I dont think the EDC adjusts outside of the settings but who knows but a BMW engineer.

Im going to have r33_RGSport use the MSS bump stops and follow what the other user did in relation to that for the front and also not max the rear out.

Im still annoyed that its going to take, per Evolve, over 4 digits in miles to settle which is just, for a lack of a better word, unsettling LOL.
Since we're driving on the same roads/freeways ( Did a blast up and down the 55 this morning) I think that is probably the best approach.

I will be fascinated to MSS explanation on these settle over the course of 2 thousand miles, which could be my entire ownership based on history.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 09:56 AM   #83
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I guess we can form a MSS support group
My name is Vic and I am a future MSSaholic.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #84
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Since we're driving on the same roads/freeways ( Did a blast up and down the 55 this morning) I think that is probably the best approach.

I will be fascinated to MSS explanation on these settle over the course of 2 thousand miles, which could be my entire ownership based on history.
I have ripped the 55 in my racechipped g80 and its pretty solid so I cant wait for the MSS to compare.

And I concur, Im not going to get to 2k miles before this car goes byeeeeee
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #85
mattssi
Major
Rep

I just got a quote at my local European performance shop in Central Oregon - about $1200 for labor!! Apparently they follow BMW book for hours, but even at an inflated labor rate that would be 6 hours for an install.

Just crazy. If anyone can recommend a PNW quality installer, I'm all ears.
      07-02-2021, 01:24 PM   #86
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattssi View Post
I just got a quote at my local European performance shop in Central Oregon - about $1200 for labor!!

Just crazy. If anyone can recommend a PNW quality installer, I'm all ears.

WTF?? Try Futrell in Beaverton, I always got fair deals when working with Dean in the past.

But $1200??? talk about M tax. I would tell them to go F themselves. Sorry I have no other recommendations in Oregon unless you are willing to come to Seattle lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #87
mattssi
Major
Rep

Quote:
WTF?? Try Futrell in Beaverton, I always got fair deals when working with Dean in the past.

But $1200??? talk about M tax. I would tell them to go F themselves. Sorry I have no other recommendations in Oregon unless you are willing to come to Seattle lol.
Thanks!

Seattle is not out of the question. Could make a nice trip out of it and come out ahead.
      07-02-2021, 01:31 PM   #88
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don’t like springs. Full coilovers or leave as is. Springs just don’t ever feel right or look right, at least not to me.

Sorry for that pain OP, I’ve been there and had that terrible feeling of still seeing the gaping gap after investing time/money. Never mind the diminished handling/feel of the car.

Coilovers or nothing I say, I’ve learned my lesson.
Appreciate 2
coreyjn7230.50
M4Tejas780.50