BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-29-2021, 12:03 PM   #45
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

It's rear biased balance because of the engine weight up front. They're aiming for 50:50 so the back is always lower on an M3

If you put a bunch of rake on it your traction will be terrible
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #46
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

So the measurement from the bottom of the wheel face to the fender arch is 64.5cm up front and 63.5 on the rear. I don't want to mess with the cars geometry much at all so I will follow the same 1cm/10mm difference in that measurement. As Vic mentioned the front gap is much higher stock, it is intended that way for balance.

MSS suggests 5mm higher in the rear but again, the balance of the car is near perfect and I do not want to change that over aesthetics. I need to raise the rears about 5mm more depending on if the front lowers anymore, which it hasn't so far.

I am currently sitting at a 25mm drop in the rear and I am getting rubbing and a bit of bounce a highway speeds with two adults in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #47
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Im not sure if you started with the first post here but the OP did not get the desired 25-30mm drop in the front off the bat. His original drop with the threads maxed was around 10mm but he is hoping (as Evolve has said) it will settle. My concern is that they said it will take quite a bit of miles to get to the settled height.

BSM_G808 can chime in much better
The max drop I have up front is nearly 20mm after a week from the install. With the adjusters at the lowest setting, I got a 15mm drop fresh after the install which is about a .6in drop so you wont have any issues there. The unknown at the moment is whether the springs will "settle" like the MSS and Evolve claims.

Either way you will have to readjust any adjustable ride height suspension regardless as tolerances on the car and springs will be different.

The good news is the rears are pretty close to the gap you leave on the adjusters. The rear's maximum drop is 30mm. I left a 5mm gap between the adjusters and the drop came out to 25mm.

The fronts are very easy to adjust so don't worry about that too much. The rears are under a lot of load and you will likely need to lower the arms to adjust them if you did not get it right the first time. So make sure you decide on the rears height before installing, otherwise you will have to pay someone to readjust that if you don't do the work yourself.

Last edited by ///MeraldCity_G82; 06-29-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #48
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Im not sure if you started with the first post here but the OP did not get the desired 25-30mm drop in the front off the bat. His original drop with the threads maxed was around 10mm but he is hoping (as Evolve has said) it will settle. My concern is that they said it will take quite a bit of miles to get to the settled height.

BSM_G808 can chime in much better
Yes but the OP has updated it with his initial review ( thanks) I have never had a 15mm drop come from settling...that is just plain weird.

Really puts guess work into what to initially set it up with as I do not want to keep messing with this. I want to keep the factory rake as well.

So it looks like a 1/2 setting different in ride quality etc for me possibly a very small drop, I actually like the factory rear, it's just the front that bothers me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #49
luico1188
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

Order date: 6/9
Install date: 6/14
Install Time: 3.5 hours

Installation was very easy as-long as you have the right tools. I too was upset when I installed the MSS kit. The front sat way to high (maybe 2-3 fingers). It almost looked stock. The back looked damn good and perfect. This was with the lowest possible setting. I drove the car every day to see how it would settle and after 1k miles nothing really noticeable changed. I didn't measure. The ride quality is great and feels very close to stock but I couldn't keep the car looking like this so I took things into my own hands and here the best solution I've found.

-Remove MSS coil and use MSS spring only.

-Sit MSS spring upside down(compare to oem spring looks like upside up to me). Upside down would actually show the writing on the springs the correct way as when installing with coils the writing is actually upside down :

- remove MSS rubber seat and use OEM rubber seat

- use MSS bump stop

Voila, here's your result
Attached Images

Last edited by luico1188; 06-29-2021 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Additional photos
Appreciate 5
barryc3651956.00
FITM3NT542.00
Vic5519360.50
mzcp2685.50
      06-29-2021, 06:39 PM   #50
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luico1188 View Post

Installation was very easy as-long as you have the right tools. I too was upset when I installed the MSS kit. The front sat way to high (maybe 2-3 fingers). It almost looked stock. The back looked damn good and perfect. This was with the lowest possible setting. I drove the car every day to see how it would settle and after 1k miles nothing really noticeable changed. I didn't measure. The ride quality is great and feels very close to stock but I couldn't keep the car looking like this so I took things into my own hands and here the best solution I've found.

-Sit MSS spring upside down(compare to oem spring looks like upside up to me). Upside down would actually show the writing on the springs the correct way as when installing with coils the writing is actually upside down :

- use MSS bump stop

Just as I thought springs only settle a couple mm. If a spring settles more than 15mm I would be concerned of the quality and spring sag in the future. Funny thing is, your drop after removing the spring seat and adjusters, it looks the same height as Evolve's car.

If yours did not "settle" over 1000 miles I am sure mine won't either. Very disappointing and misleading claiming 32mm up front.

There is another thread on the VW Golf R platform and they also had only a 15mm drop. They needed to wait for MSS to release shorter spring to get the 30mm that they claimed. I honestly want to see a close shot of Evolve's spring with part number and compare it to mine. Could the spring be shorter? Softer spring rate?

Honestly I would be concerned wit the longevity of your front struts. With that much compression and reduced travel on the shock, I am sure its is not good long term and it must be a harsh ride. How is the ride after removing the adjusters and adjuster seat?

Last edited by ///MeraldCity_G82; 06-29-2021 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #51
luico1188
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
Quote:

Honestly I would be concerned wit the longevity of your front struts. With that much compression and reduced travel on the shock, I am sure its is not good long term and it must be a harsh ride. How is the ride after removing the adjusters and adjuster seat?

- use MSS bump stop

Just as I thought springs only settle a couple mm. If a spring settles more than 15mm I would be concerned of the quality and spring sag in the future. Funny thing is, your drop after removing the spring seat and adjusters, it looks the same height as Evolve's car.

If yours did not "settle" over 1000 miles I am sure mine won't either. Very disappointing and misleading claiming 32mm up front.

There is another thread on the VW Golf R platform and they also had only a 15mm drop. They needed to wait for MSS to release shorter spring to get the 30mm that they claimed.
I agree with you 1000%. Misleading and overpriced for what I had to do. I could've saved a buck and just purchased the lowering springs. The ride is still a very solid ride. No stress to the struts noticeable Nd still feels OEM. I'm not too worried about the longevity of the struts as future plans are in place anyways but the struts are not hitting hard at all. Really still feel like the same sport car I drove out of the showroom.

Anyone interested in buying the MSS kit? Hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #52
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

There is another thread on the VW Golf R platform and they also had only a 15mm drop. They needed to wait for MSS to release shorter spring to get the 30mm that they claimed. I honestly want to see a close shot of Evolve's spring with part number and compare it to mine. Could the spring be shorter? Softer spring rate?

I've over numerous cars and various suspension setups have never seen a 15mm phased drop. I have seen 8mm over 48 hours and that is it.

Evolve is a board sponsor and on this thread, I certainly would like to hear their response to this.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:18 PM   #53
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
I've over numerous cars and various suspension setups have never seen a 15mm phased drop. I have seen 8mm over 48 hours and that is it.

Evolve is a board sponsor and on this thread, I certainly would like to hear their response to this.
Yeah I was gonna give MSS the benefit of the doubt but he drove a 1000 miles over two weeks, that is plenty time and miles to settle.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #54
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I was gonna give MSS the benefit of the doubt but he drove a 1000 miles over two weeks, that is plenty time and miles to settle.
I'm getting my setup installed Thursday. I didn't want a big drop before I read this thread.

Do you think I should do your 25mm in front adjust do a 10mm in the back and call it a day?

I want the rake, its over-kill and obviously over-priced ( my friend is giving me a very good deal) but I am not a H&R spring guy, they tend to cut corners on development to be the first to market.

Thanks for being the first
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 08:32 PM   #55
barryc365
Major
Rep

Just watching the Evolve video, the MSS spring base looks to be much larger than the OEM base.

By keeping the OEM base you'd drop 10mm easily it looks like but I wonder is this safe. Hard to say I'm sure but interesting idea

Any thoughts Imran@Evolve ?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:01 PM   #56
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting my setup installed Thursday. I didn't want a big drop before I read this thread.

Do you think I should do your 25mm in front adjust do a 10mm in the back and call it a day?

I want the rake, its over-kill and obviously over-priced ( my friend is giving me a very good deal) but I am not a H&R spring guy, they tend to cut corners on development to be the first to market.

Thanks for being the first
I have the front at the lowest position which is supposed to be a 32 mm drop. I would just do that. If you have a jack at home, you can easily adjust the fronts no problem. Its not under much load. But two of us only got a 15mm drop from the lowest position so you will be safe if 15mm is what you are after.

As for the rear, I would go 10-15mm as it will make the ride more comfortable, give you that rake you want, and it won't rub with a full car assuming you are running spacers. I think the rears settled a couple mm so maybe account for that as well.

I am happy with the way the car rides and will most likely keep the springs on and swap them out if MSS updates the spring.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #57
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Just watching the Evolve video, the MSS spring base looks to be much larger than the OEM base.

By keeping the OEM base you'd drop 10mm easily it looks like but I wonder is this safe. Hard to say I'm sure but interesting idea

Any thoughts Imran@Evolve ?
The base MSS provides is there to keep the springs level in relation to the perch on the strut. You can't see it in the video but the inner part(facing toward inside of car) of the spring perch is lower than the outer and the bottom of the MSS spring is flat. Using the oem rubber base will most likely cause the springs to not sit level.

I might experiment with shaving some rubber off the top of the MSS base and keep that level.
Appreciate 1
barryc3651956.00
      06-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #58
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Here is some pics from my install, the springs look the same as Evolve's in there install video and the thickness of the spring base looks the same

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 03:49 AM   #59
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:

I can only show the the pictures of our car and MSS have confirmed its the same springs/part numbers used in the production kits.

In regards to fully settling they took a lot longer than a traditional spring.

I wouldn't worry about the quality they are made by Eibach from motorsport quality. We have been using them on ours and customers cars for 2 years now and have not seen any issues.

I spoke to MSS and they said they will be making a video soon explaining why the springs take some time to settle.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:18 AM   #60
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post

I spoke to MSS and they said they will be making a video soon explaining why the springs take some time to settle.
Can you just give us the cliff notes since you are in partnership with them? Do we really need a video?

Id appreciate that as I am now considering the MSS due to KW delays.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #61
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: All of them

Quote:
Can you just give us the cliff notes since you are in partnership with them? Do we really need a video?

They are writing something up I will relay when I have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:53 AM   #62
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Quote:

They are writing something up I will relay when I have it.
Do you think you could make the kit with a smaller seat base without messing up the kit? 10mm smaller might make all the difference. Happy to be the test mule!

Appreciate your input and the videos you guys out out are great. My kit will be arriving in Brooklyn soon
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #63
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

- use MSS bump stop

I appreciate this and your car sits as I want mine or very close... thank you

Further you maintain, visually, the OEM perspective of the front and rear to keep the weight bias in line as Barry has mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #64
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have the front at the lowest position which is supposed to be a 32 mm drop. I would just do that. If you have a jack at home, you can easily adjust the fronts no problem. Its not under much load. But two of us only got a 15mm drop from the lowest position so you will be safe if 15mm is what you are after.

As for the rear, I would go 10-15mm as it will make the ride more comfortable, give you that rake you want, and it won't rub with a full car assuming you are running spacers. I think the rears settled a couple mm so maybe account for that as well.

I am happy with the way the car rides and will most likely keep the springs on and swap them out if MSS updates the spring.
I'm going with your recommendations. We will adjust accordingly. Evolve is a quality company, unfortunately they don't make these, only distribute them. But I believe should changes happen they will stand by their customers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #65
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate this and your car sits as I want mine or very close... thank you

Further you maintain, visually, the OEM perspective of the front and rear to keep the weight bias in line as Barry has mentioned.
I have posted alongside you since 6 speed days. Glad to see you got one as it makes me feel better about buying one for myself haha
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #66
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have posted alongside you since 6 speed days. Glad to see you got one as it makes me feel better about buying one for myself haha
Damn 6Speed, that takes me back a long long long ways. What was your handle there? I remember posting my first Porsche Turbo there back in 2003 (yes Im fucking old LOL not really).

Oh yes, this M3 is fantastic and one of my fave M's of all time granted technology, chassis, transmission, and overall engineering advancements should make it as such. I think what is best for me is how its progressed so well over the F82 that I had (my opine).
Appreciate 0