BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: Are you installing PPF on your new G80/82?
Full wrap 83 27.30%
Partial coverage 146 48.03%
Nope 75 24.67%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

06-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #45
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdoubleUTIFUL View Post
I just talked with my detailer and he even advised that the ceramic will harden over the gloss black and serve as a swirl protectant if that's what some are worried about. Rock chips are another story and could penetrate the ppf as well. Therefore I'm just doing the ceramic
Ceramic coatings will not prevent swirl marks. That is user induced from improper washing.

If people are thinking ceramic/ppf is the magic key and you can walk away from your car and it’ll sit pretty you’re gravely mistaken. These are tools to help keep maintenance low and preserver your vehicle. There is a lot of misconception about detailing and it’s unfortunately been growing at a fast rate over the past few years.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #46
BMdoubleUTIFUL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
I just talked with my detailer and he even advised that the ceramic will harden over the gloss black and serve as a swirl protectant if that's what some are worried about. Rock chips are another story and could penetrate the ppf as well. Therefore I'm just doing the ceramic
Ceramic coatings will not prevent swirl marks. That is user induced from improper washing.

If people are thinking ceramic/ppf is the magic key and you can walk away from your car and it’ll sit pretty you’re gravely mistaken. These are tools to help keep maintenance low and preserver your vehicle. There is a lot of misconception about detailing and it’s unfortunately been growing at a fast rate over the past few years.
I should have explained better, he said as long as you wash correctly the chances of introducing swirls is low. Paired with how dirty you let your car get between washes. The ceramic is essentially another thin layer of "clear" for lack of better terms. The paint will not become damaged if you have a layer over it taking the light beating of normal washing
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #47
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I should have explained better, he said as long as you wash correctly the chances of introducing swirls is low. Paired with how dirty you let your car get between washes. The ceramic is essentially another thin layer of "clear" for lack of better terms. The paint will not become damaged if you have a layer over it taking the light beating of normal washing
Boom! Good explanation.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #48
pro_rom3
Rep
Drives: TRD Pro

If only doing one or the other, would it best to invest in a ceramic coat or partial wrap?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #49
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro_rom3 View Post
If only doing one or the other, would it best to invest in a ceramic coat or partial wrap?
I definitely would do a full front PPPF over ceramic. The PPPF offers protection from rock chips and it's easier to clean off bugs.

But this does mean without ceramic, you'll likely need to get your car detailed more often to get the eventual swirls out. But I'd rather do that than have a shiny ceramic coat paired with rock chips all over the front bumper and hood, which are bound to happen over time. Then the front of the car will look like crap, but the sides and rear could look good with the ceramic coating. I'll take the swirls over the rock chips, but that's just me.

Last edited by KevinGS; 06-09-2021 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #50
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Good video here from Joe Achilles showing the process and attention to detail.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #51
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Would you recommend installing PPF if its only a lease?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #52
tsixtial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianray18 View Post
I wouldn’t but that’s just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #53
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope. You won't get a single penny of that cost back at the end.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #54
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixtial View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't but that's just my opinion.
Yeah you maybe right. Im nt sure if im buying it after the lease
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #55
tsixtial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
That’s a tough one, I would say make the decision now so you don’t regret it down the line.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #56
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsixtial View Post
Quote:
That’s a tough one, I would say make the decision now so you don’t regret it down the line.
Ive decided not too. When i see the mid year change of the M3 I'll probably be like fuck it ill buy this one lol
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #57
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
Quote:
Nope. You won't get a single penny of that cost back at the end.
Would you do ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #58
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Def do the ceramic if not wrapping. Put 10 coats of that shit on. It will help lock in the paint and blings like crazy!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #59
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
Def do the ceramic if not wrapping. Put 10 coats of that shit on. It will help lock in the paint and blings like crazy!!
Im only hesitant cause its a lease! But i may do it since its like $700 only but no to PPF wrap for 2k lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #60
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Honestly, do the ceramic yourself. It's super easy!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #61
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, do the ceramic yourself. It's super easy!!!
I mean i would but i rather not on a 90k car lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #62
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

I hear you. Just a suggestion to try and save some money. Youtube a few vids and slap it on. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #63
brianray18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hear you. Just a suggestion to try and save some money. Youtube a few vids and slap it on. LOL
Hahaha i was close to doing that but $700 and having a piece of mind being done by a professional works for me lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #64
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hahaha i was close to doing that but $700 and having a piece of mind being done by a professional works for me lol
It will look great when done!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #65
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslim View Post
If I do a ceramic coating, and then put a Ppf on to top, will the ceramic coating loose it's properties? Should I just put Ppf without putting any ceramic before ? Thanks
Hey,

They it works is ppf goes first and then ceramic coating. Best results. But, ppf on its own does offer a gloss shine. Ceramic coating helps give paint that wet super gloss look but doesn't protect against paint damage - not like ppf. You can try the xpel Installer Locator tool, to find an XPEL installer nearest you and can ask for a quote on full wrap, or just a full front or even a partial front ppf. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
eman45171708.00
      06-29-2021, 08:40 PM   #66
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I'm on the fence with PPF. I just got a quote for $1600 to do the rockers, rear fender behind wheel, mirrors, partial hood and fenders and front bumper. I have never done anything like this before and always try take the best care of my car I can Â… I would much rather spend it on exhaust and other mods but I feel like all the gloss black on this car is gonna get beat to crap after a couple of years. I just don't know which direction to go?

Any advice?
Good discussion here. My $.02: there’s no absolute right or wrong answer, just what’s better for you, given your priorities. If you’d rather spend extra money for your car on an exhaust and other mods, than on professionally installed PPF and ceramic coating, that’s your call. When I regularly tracked my M3 years ago, my priorities were similar to yours.

My current priorities are different. I’m purchasing my M3 and keeping it (at least) several years. It’ll be my daily driver, through northern Michigan winters — but I’m obsessive about keeping my cars as close to cosmetically perfect as I can. Fortunately, I’m skilled at detailing and have the time to do so (retired). So my approach with this M3 will be partial PPF (front clip, rockers, leading edge of rear flare) and applying multiple layers of ceramic coating myself.

I had PPF on an E39 M5 nearly 20 years ago, and it definitely protected against rock chips. Fast forward, and the gloss black rocker panels on our cars need that protection more than just about anywhere else. (Imagine dragging briny boots over those panels in the dead of winter, or sticky summer tires throwing grit onto them from below.)

Properly maintained (two-bucket hand wash, proper drying techniques, etc.), ceramic coating will preserve the paint finish not otherwise subjected to stones, grit and scuffs. After properly coating my Black Sapphire X5, I subjected it to automatic car washes (weekly or more often) for 2+ years. A straightforward paint correction brought it back to showroom-new. Now it gets cleaned the right way and stays looking great.

Many owners don’t have time or inclination to apply ceramic coating themselves, so they have to decide whether the cost is a good value for them or not. By DIY, I’m out less than $40 for product (assuming 3 layers per application) and a few hours of my time. Again, YMMV.

Hope that helps, LuckyBrand!
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1246.50