BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #23
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

With the expenses of CCB's I'm glad I did not go with them. I do plan on doing a few track days a year including monthly autox events. They sure do look cool, but I honestly don't see a benefit.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:51 PM   #24
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
they're a god send on the M5 with black wheels. And they're not dangerous or scary in the cold and rain. But yes they bite less than they would when warmed up. BMW wouldn't sell them if they weren't safe or usable in wet or cold situations. But yes as mentioned the cost to replace should never be an issue for the first two owners of the vehicle. Just brake pad. Don't let anything on the forum scare you away from something you actually want. All ney sayers on the forum do is make an issue seem so much worse than it is. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. But i'm one of those who really only wants them for the daily driving and clean impossible to clean black rims.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:19 PM   #25
MarineRaider
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
they're a god send on the M5 with black wheels. And they're not dangerous or scary in the cold and rain. But yes they bite less than they would when warmed up. BMW wouldn't sell them if they weren't safe or usable in wet or cold situations. But yes as mentioned the cost to replace should never be an issue for the first two owners of the vehicle. Just brake pad. Don't let anything on the forum scare you away from something you actually want. All ney sayers on the forum do is make an issue seem so much worse than it is. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. But i'm one of those who really only wants them for the daily driving and clean impossible to clean black rims.
Let me start by saying I would have bought them had they been on the car I got no problem. I would have changed the brake caliper color but no issue with them.

But my friend has them on his M2C and he gets plenty of brake dust, this notion that these are clean as a whistle seems to be blown out of proportion. I have PCCBs on my GT3 and I get plenty of brake dust, Porsche says its normal. Only their new system ( with white calipers) do they market as being" clean".

Maybe you get lighter dust but they get dust. On YT a guy has them on his M3C and his black wheels were filthy...like mine YAY!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #26
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineRaider View Post
Maybe you get lighter dust but they get dust.
Exactly this. Why don't other regular cars have issues with brake dust? Because they use ceramic compounds that make lighter brake dust and also doesn't stick as much to the wheels. You can do the same on our cars at the expense of braking performance. Wasn't Akebono the popular option for ceramic pads for the other BMWs? I bet they'll have something soon.
      09-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #27
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
How much of a disadvantage are they on a day to day basis in colder temps and wet weather? Is it minimal or very noticeable?

I will daily drive 12k miles/yr and do 2-4 track days a year. The idea of less weight, less dust, long life, best track performance, and great looks is enticing.

Am I wrong to think they'll last >100k miles in that scenario?
For 2-4 track days per year I don't think it's worth it personally. The standard brakes are very good and would be even better with dedicated track pads and more than sufficient for a casual track day goer.

I'm not sure about the longevity but they could become something that people would avoid in a second hand market. You're not going to want to buy this car in 5 years second hand if it has a $20k brake bill coming up
Transfer thanks for doing all my research for me! Answered all my questions. Did u order a G80 yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #28
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
sounds like CCBs are no for a daily and if you are trying to keep costs down
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #29
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

I have the CCB’s , and I am loving them. One of my favorite options on the car. Reduced rotating mass and unsprung weight, excellent stopping power. I have had zero brake squeals or squeaks, fantastic pedal feel.

And they definitely stay waaaaaaaay cleaner than my f80 breaks did. My wheels and my OCD definitely thanking me !
Appreciate 5
Transfer5250.00
themnmd1691.00
Limegrntaln13406.00
M3WithAT687.00
      09-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #30
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Quote:
Quote:
How much of a disadvantage are they on a day to day basis in colder temps and wet weather? Is it minimal or very noticeable?

I will daily drive 12k miles/yr and do 2-4 track days a year. The idea of less weight, less dust, long life, best track performance, and great looks is enticing.

For 2-4 track days per year I don't think it's worth it personally. The standard brakes are very good and would be even better with dedicated track pads and more than sufficient for a casual track day goer.

I'm not sure about the longevity but they could become something that people would avoid in a second hand market. You're not going to want to buy this car in 5 years second hand if it has a $20k brake bill coming up
Transfer thanks for doing all my research for me! Answered all my questions. Did u order a G80 yet?
Ha! No order. Decided it's overpriced in this market so may pick up used in a few years. I'd love to have one but not at $85-100k MSRP no discounts.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #31
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

CCBs are meant to improve track performance by having higher friction coefficients at higher temps. Pure performance for the track.

Brake dust on the street is an unintended consequence of a much harder pad compound.

They are ridiculously expensive to replace, and all the Porsche guys at my track are either replacing with Steel before they track, or are not economically influenced by 8k+ per axle brake jobs and want the extra performance.

IMO There really is no reason to have CCBs unless you are going to be pushing the brakes to their temperature limit (long track sessions of *very* hard driving) regularly and want to maintain high brake performance. Like your G80 is primarily a track tool, and your tracking with Several 130mph+ brake zones, like Road America, COTA, VIR, trying to set PR's for lap times.

You can get a set of hard compound low dust pads for ~500 a set if you care about the dust..
      09-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #32
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha! No order. Decided it's overpriced in this market so may pick up used in a few years. I'd love to have one but not at $85-100k MSRP no discounts.
Bummer…makes sense, but maybe you got spoiled by the X3M deals we had available a year or so ago…😜
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #33
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Bummer…makes sense, but maybe you got spoiled by the X3M deals we had available a year or so ago…😜
Yup. $1200/mo is no bueno compared to $800/mo X3MC and frankly that's outside a budget I'm comfortable with.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #34
oombikko
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

CCBs are overrated. If you track heavily, they are cost prohibitive. They take an arm and a leg to replace. Standard irons are plenty fine in terms of stopping power in daily driving and track use (with track pads).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #35
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
If I had the money,sure I would get CCB's. Even though I don't track my cars,they would be pretty sweet to have. They are cleaner , lighter and look cool. If only one could be sure of no pricey replace or repair bills. I would take a chance
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #36
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yeah, if you're buying CCBs to have clean wheels, that's just bananas. LOL

I guess you just have money to burn...and I can't hate on that.
You could just buy new wheels and still be ahead
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #37
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

Kinda crazy to me that folks would pay 5k for the carbon fiber exterior pack, which has ZERO performance gain, and then hate on CCB’s.

CCB’s aren’t cheap, that’s for sure. But they do have a performance and aesthetic advantage. The pedal feel and stopping power is amazing. Quieter and feel stronger than my standard F80 brakes.

Aesthetics - Look gigantic and super aggressive, clean ass wheels

Performance - Less fade, less rotating mass, less unsprung weight. In an already heavy car, I want it to feel as light as possible.

Time -Do you like your wheels to look clean? How much extra time do you spend on the wheels? Whats your time worth? Wash your car once a week? Spend 30 min extra on the wheels? 24 hours a year ? You can see how quickly that adds up …

In the end, you decide how to spend your $$. But its definitely not a worthless upgrade.
Appreciate 9
Erik8516.50
Draper3459.50
Pprior422.00
M3WithAT687.00
WWM3964.00
playswcars3626.00
jamabdi185.50
      09-21-2021, 07:45 AM   #38
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
Kinda crazy to me that folks would pay 5k for the carbon fiber exterior pack, which has ZERO performance gain, and then hate on CCB's.

CCB's aren't cheap, that's for sure. But they do have a performance and aesthetic advantage. The pedal feel and stopping power is amazing. Quieter and feel stronger than my standard F80 brakes.

Performance - Less fade, less rotating mass, less unsprung weight. In an already heavy car, I want it to feel as light as possible.

Time -Do you like your wheels to look clean? How much extra time do you spend on the wheels? Whats your time worth? Wash your car once a week? Spend 30 min extra on the wheels? 24 hours a year ? You can see how quickly that adds up …

In the end, you decide how to spend your $$. But its definitely not a worthless upgrade.
I guess the problem is not the $8k upgrade, it's the $15k rotor replacement every 10-15 track days.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #39
Motorat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepdoc View Post
Kinda crazy to me that folks would pay 5k for the carbon fiber exterior pack, which has ZERO performance gain, and then hate on CCB's.

CCB's aren't cheap, that's for sure. But they do have a performance and aesthetic advantage. The pedal feel and stopping power is amazing. Quieter and feel stronger than my standard F80 brakes.

This!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 02:52 PM   #40
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Yeah, if you're buying CCBs to have clean wheels, that's just bananas. LOL

I guess you just have money to burn...and I can't hate on that.
You could just buy new wheels and still be ahead
OMFG
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 02:00 PM   #41
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
It is important to distinguish between adding aftermarket ceramic brake pads to BMW M-Sport Brakes and the $8k BMW Carbon Ceramic Brake (CCB) option. The word CARBON as in Carbon Fiber is the key difference.

Aftermarket Ceramic Brake Pads
- Ceramic Pads on a BMW M-Sport or M-Performance Brake Blue/Red/Gold Caliper Option (Brembo style)
- OEM or Aftermarket Blank or Dimpled/Slotted Steel Rotors

Pros/Cons: Same stopping power as OEM with little brake dust. NOT a PERFORMANCE option.

BMW Carbon Ceramic Brake (CCB) Option
- Carbon Ceramic Pads on the Gold Caliper Option
- OEM Dimpled/Slotted Carbon Fiber Rotors $$$$$

Pros/Cons: High performance track/racing braking option (high temps/aggressive bite) with astronomical maintenance costs for heavy track use. For street use, the pads are 4x-5x more expensive than OEM organic/semi-metallic pads. The carbon rotors last forever (300k km). $!500 for 4 corners CCB pads vs $600-800 for pads (add more for rotors). Low brake dust is a benefit of the CCB option.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #42
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_dude View Post
It is important to distinguish between adding aftermarket ceramic brake pads to BMW M-Sport Brakes and the $8k BMW Carbon Ceramic Brake (CCB) option. The word CARBON as in Carbon Fiber is the key difference.

Aftermarket Ceramic Brake Pads
- Ceramic Pads on a BMW M-Sport or M-Performance Brake Blue/Red/Gold Caliper Option (Brembo style)
- OEM or Aftermarket Blank or Dimpled/Slotted Steel Rotors

Pros/Cons: Same stopping power as OEM with little brake dust. NOT a PERFORMANCE option.

BMW Carbon Ceramic Brake (CCB) Option
- Carbon Ceramic Pads on the Gold Caliper Option
- OEM Dimpled/Slotted Carbon Fiber Rotors $$$$$

Pros/Cons: High performance track/racing braking option (high temps/aggressive bite) with astronomical maintenance costs for heavy track use. For street use, the pads are 4x-5x more expensive than OEM organic/semi-metallic pads. The carbon rotors last forever (300k km). $!500 for 4 corners CCB pads vs $600-800 for pads (add more for rotors). Low brake dust is a benefit of the CCB option.

Cheers
I can handle the added pad cost as long as the rotors hang for at least 100k miles I’ll be happy. I can always switch out to steel if I need to, for not too much cost.

That being said, my car is going to be Atlantis and I love the way the gold looks with that color. Actually, all the blue BMW look boss with those gold calipers, didn’t like the red Superman combo near as much and the black was what I was going to go with but it got hidden by the wheel and blends in.

Would have gone black but I decided the ccb was worth it.
Not gonna lie, looks was definitely a part of this. As long as they don’t actually have WORSE performance than I’ll be likely pretty happy.

Some people were saying they are actually worse performing at cold temps/wet.
That sounds odd, but never having them anything is possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #43
nyc_dude
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 //M3 e90 Interlagos Blue

Garage List
Most racing brakes like CCB need to be warmed up to work effectively.

So in Idaho....you need to be careful if the temps drop below 40-50deg F. Maybe take a warm up lap around the block to get heat into the breaks. Avoid driving in the snow. ///M cars are toys.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 10:50 PM   #44
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Yep.
For sure.

I will abide by this info and remember to always warm them up before I go too far. Probably won’t drive too frequently in snow, just take the Acura MDX which does well.
Appreciate 0