BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

08-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #67
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Raving reviews so far:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...5-v-blackwing/

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #68
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Having had a V1, V2 and a V3 I was hoping for a similar aggressive look. While I'm sure it's a fantastic car to drive-especially the manual-IMHO the exterior styling is rather bland especially when compared to a V3. I will reserve my final judgment until I can see one in person.
Leno's review offers a lot of footage from multiple angles and it looks ok but I don't find it exciting to look at. It does sound good.

Maybe the strategy is build the ultimate sleeper??
Get it without the carbon fiber packages and swap base level trim, badges and basic wheels.

Attached Images

Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #69
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

V3 for reference
[IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...-CTS-V-104.jpg[/IMG]
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #70
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I like the way it looks. Like the M5, it's understated. It's like a full-sized athlete wearing a 3-peice suit. And for all of you manual fanatics who would only buy a shift-it-yourself G80, I can't imagine outright ignoring this Caddy for about the same price, with 668-hp from the factory and a top speed over 200 mph, and a thunderous exhaust note to match. Hec, it at least deserves a test drive if you're that committed to a high performance manual sedan.

This, the CT5V Blackwing, it just may be THE grand finale for a manual ICE sedan. The G80 could simply be playing 2nd fiddle.

What a great time to be a car enthusiast. We're truly fortunate.

Last edited by KevinGS; 08-11-2021 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #71
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

My thoughts: Where do I sign? The reviews these cars are getting are insanely positive, and the times they're turning in at the VIR is eye-opening (like the CT4VB beating the M4 CS around the track). Some may take issue with the interior. However, unlike the ATS-V's gauge cluster, I don't find anything egregious here and you also have to factor in the difference in price.

The CT5VB steals the show though. Cadillac decides to offer a manual in a midsize luxury sedan that can live on a track with a legendary supercharged small block V8. When I read the reviews, all I can do is do a slow-clap. THIS car (to me) is the spiritual successor to the legend that is the E39 M5. Trust me, if I had the money, I would have ordered the CT5VB months ago. To no one's surprise, GM says that the take-rate for the manual is 50% on the preorders received thus far.

Say what you will why you won't buy the VBs: interior, styling, build quality, reliability (heh), ... just don't say you bought the BMW because it was the better driver's car. A king has been deposed, and a new one has been crowned. Well done, Cadillac. You built a better M3 than BMW for less money, yet you still won't get any respect. A shame ....

Last edited by Bunkei; 08-12-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 4
translux478.00
seis-speed2426.00
WWM3956.50
      08-13-2021, 06:21 AM   #72
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

As i said before, some of you are really limiting yourselves to a BMW, and yeah, pretty sad. lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #73
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
As i said before, some of you are really limiting yourselves to a BMW, and yeah, pretty sad. lol.
How so? Not wanting to own a GM product is limiting myself? While I'm sure they will be competitive I haven't seen any tests that show these vehicles outperforming their competition or anything indicating they are a must buy for me. I have owned a lot of domestics over the years and know fully well what ownership is like thank you. What's sad is trying to tell people what they should like. I don't go to Audi forums telling posters there that it's sad that they like Audi's because that would be dumb.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #74
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'd buy a manual CT5VBW in some reasonable color, black, grey, with the sports seats today for sticker + up to $5k.

However as I experienced before the terrible dealer base is going to be the main obstacle.
I spent a couple hour today calling a dozen or so local and regional dealers. Only guy that had a clue and is working on getting me an allocation was 1,000 miles away at Sewell Cadillac of Dallas. I did buy two V2's from him so I'm sure that helped.

Couple of my favorite responses-
"We haven't made a Blackwing for two years"

" haha you want one just like the 100 other dreamers that called me this week, you'd be better off trying to buy a ticket to the moon"

"Do you want a Landau top?"

Two of those statements actually happened, one not yet
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
car_fan381.00
      08-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #75
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
How so? Not wanting to own a GM product is limiting myself? While I'm sure they will be competitive I haven't seen any tests that show these vehicles outperforming their competition or anything indicating they are a must buy for me. I have owned a lot of domestics over the years and know fully well what ownership is like thank you. What's sad is trying to tell people what they should like. I don't go to Audi forums telling posters there that it's sad that they like Audi's because that would be dumb.
I don't think he was trying to tell you what to like, but rather not to limit yourself to one make. If you want to see tests where the vBs are outperforming the competition, then head over to Car and Driver's site and check out their most visit to VIR. They have lap times for both vBs, along with lap times for various competitors.

When it comes to reliability, it's honestly a crapshoot. For any car brand, there will be detractors who would tell you that they will never own anything from that brand ever again, BMW included. There's very little you can do about it, except making sure there's a warranty that has sufficient coverage.
Appreciate 1
car_fan381.00
      08-21-2021, 10:43 PM   #76
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Look at this as a marketing angle. I am in the target audience for both of these cars. I read about the blackwing. Everything sounds really good. But I never even remotely consider buying one. I'm not sure why.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #77
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Quote:
I don't think he was trying to tell you what to like, but rather not to limit yourself to one make. If you want to see tests where the vBs are outperforming the competition, then head over to Car and Driver's site and check out their most visit to VIR. They have lap times for both vBs, along with lap times for various competitors.

When it comes to reliability, it's honestly a crapshoot. For any car brand, there will be detractors who would tell you that they will never own anything from that brand ever again, BMW included. There's very little you can do about it, except making sure there's a warranty that has sufficient coverage.
Are you talking about the times set by development engineers? Or do you have link to independent testing? I don't believe in factory times because they can claim whatever they want and nobody can verify it and since they're in the business of selling cars, it's hard to believe, regardless of who the manufacturer is.

With that said, I'm sure they're going to be very capable cars. I would personally never buy one even if it was faster than a Senna
      08-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #78
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
I walked into a cadillac dealer to inquire about the 5, and walked right out without even talking to anyone. These also need a black roof badly.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #79
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I walked into a cadillac dealer to inquire about the 5, and walked right out without even talking to anyone. These also need a black roof badly.
Why? Not impressed with the car's appearance?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #80
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
No they don't have any and it felt like I stepped back into 1965. I didn't get a good feeling from the sales staff and I didn't really want to bring a 100k car there for service.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #81
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Quote:
No they don't have any and it felt like I stepped back into 1965. I didn't get a good feeling from the sales staff and I didn't really want to bring a 100k car there for service.
Have you had service done there before? Each dealer is so different from the next. People love to bash Nissan dealers but I bring my 100k Car there and my service department is amazing. Trust me, I'm not a fan of dealerships!!' But you do need one. There are horror stories from every manufacturer. If there is more than 1 around, maybe ask some people. Can't let what you think may be a bad service department keep you from buying a vehicle you really want? My BMW dealership where I bought from had a horrendous Serv. Department. So I drive 15 more miles to the better one😁
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #82
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by translux View Post
I'd buy a manual CT5VBW in some reasonable color, black, grey, with the sports seats today for sticker + up to $5k.

However as I experienced before the terrible dealer base is going to be the main obstacle.
I spent a couple hour today calling a dozen or so local and regional dealers. Only guy that had a clue and is working on getting me an allocation was 1,000 miles away at Sewell Cadillac of Dallas. I did buy two V2's from him so I'm sure that helped.

Couple of my favorite responses-
"We haven't made a Blackwing for two years"

" haha you want one just like the 100 other dreamers that called me this week, you'd be better off trying to buy a ticket to the moon"

"Do you want a Landau top?"

Two of those statements actually happened, one not yet
At least with Sewell you have the “right” Cadillac dealership. Interested in one myself
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:52 AM   #83
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
You didn't consider the car because you don't want to bring your car in there for service? LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 07:04 AM   #84
DoubleDave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Not being able to drive one of these for a while is the biggest detractor IMO.

I’ve said it a few times but buying a car without driving it first was a big mistake for me. The reviews are all focused on the flat out performance and they tend to gloss over how the thing drives on the road. I know it has the latest mag ride and it SHOULD be a great car to live with but you won’t know what it’s like for you without driving one. I don’t trust any of the reviewers at all, they just want view, likes and subs.

If I had the opportunity to drive one either of the Blackwing cars, I would have bought one if I’d liked it. I’m not bound to any brand nor will I write off any brand (except Mercedes).
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #85
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
You didn't consider the car because you don't want to bring your car in there for service? LOL

comical
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 07:01 PM   #86
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

In general I'm not a huge fan of the Cadillac design language, interior or exterior. All my subjective opinions, of course, but it does seem clear that GM knocked it out of the park in terms of objective metrics with these cars. Plus that nasty sounding supercharged V8 with a manual transmission on the 5?
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      09-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #87
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

I wish I could drive both, but I have not even seen a G80 base only comps so far. This sounds crazy, but just sitting and rowing the gears even with the engine off would help me decide. I know exactly what I want in both cars, trying to be patient about it.

FWIW - The posters on the BW forums love their cars and it definitely feels like the manual take rate is very high.
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #88
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooblewobble View Post
In general I'm not a huge fan of the Cadillac design language, interior or exterior. All my subjective opinions, of course, but it does seem clear that GM knocked it out of the park in terms of objective metrics with these cars. Plus that nasty sounding supercharged V8 with a manual transmission on the 5?
Yeah it does sound awesome. I don't love the styling but I could get over it for that lusty V8. The CT4-V V6 isn't special enough for me to consider it but I respect the capability of the chassis.
Appreciate 1