BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #23
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i, Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itson451 View Post
Let me help you out. The car feel like a rwd car, if had not known I would swear it was rwd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
I did my first autocross this weekend. My instructor thought the car was RWD by the way it put power down. He was surprised to find out it was AWD.
That's an interesting take, since early journalist reviews of the (RWD) M3C marveled at the traction and said it felt like an AWD model
The thing is, we always look at things relatively. Human nature. F80 struggled with grip, some people would call it fun and raw but to me, the grip issue was annoying and didn't let me experience the car to the fullest. G80 on the other hand, has the grip and suddenly people call the RWD as AWD like (maybe compared to F80). But if you purely look at g80 as it's own platform and judge it alongside c63 and rs5, then you could see what this comment is all about… theory of relativity 😬😬
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #24
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by csayad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRacer523 View Post
Quote:
I'd consider doing a YouTube video but, I feel like I'll get hate for it. One reason is because of age. Also because I have a feeling no one would watch it.
yeah true.. you are too old to be owning an m3
Quote:
Quote:
I'd consider doing a YouTube video but, I feel like I'll get hate for it. One reason is because of age. Also because I have a feeling no one would watch it.
I'll be blunt with you guys, I really hope I don't set anyone off. I'm 17 years old, my family sort of comes from car enthusiast background. I will happily say my parents bought the car because they are my own role models. I don't flex on people or be an asshole to other people. Just wanted to make that clear.
Was your car the one on Insta that got that nice set of wheels that kind of went viral for a minute?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #25
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

My guess is there are no press cars or BMW decided not to let reviewers release their reviews of press cars
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      09-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #26
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentMeister View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'll be blunt with you guys, I really hope I don't set anyone off. I'm 17 years old, my family sort of comes from car enthusiast background. I will happily say my parents bought the car because they are my own role models. I don't flex on people or be an asshole to other people. Just wanted to make that clear.
Was your car the one on Insta that got that nice set of wheels that kind of went viral for a minute?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't recall going viral so prob a diff car
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:04 PM   #27
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Quote:
Good for you. That's the hand you were dealt with, embrace it. As long as you don't posses the qualities of being arrogant or look down on people and are simply humble then more power to you. Enjoy your M car in good health.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good for you. That's the hand you were dealt with, embrace it. As long as you don't posses the qualities of being arrogant or look down on people and are simply humble then more power to you. Enjoy your M car in good health.
I love the car so much already. I just broke 400 miles today and I'm going to take the greatest care of it. I still can't believe that I have the privilege to drive such a car.
Appreciate 3
mattburks749.00
barryc3651947.00
Patton2502936.50
      09-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #28
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I love the car so much already. I just broke 400 miles today and I'm going to take the greatest care of it. I still can't believe that I have the privilege to drive such a car.
Glad you like it so much. Let's hear from you.. what is it that you like so much about it? How does it compare to your other sports car experiences if you have any.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #29
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen orko View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Glad you like it so much. Let's hear from you.. what is it that you like so much about it? How does it compare to your other sports car experiences if you have any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen orko View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So before this car I drove a '19 RS5 Sportback and then before that I drove a '17 F80 M3 ZCP. The F80 first sort of felt like it wanted to kill me lol. Reason for selling that car was because I put 6000 miles on it and then sold it then made $8k off of it. Then after that we got a nardo gray RS5, put 11k miles on it and had it for roughly a year. Great winter car, super easily to get in and drive. Now onto the G80, I love this car more than the others because the switchable drivetrain first of all. I did a small 1st gear launch in the G80 and like holy hell it moved. My next favorite thing would probably have to be the ventilated seats, life saver!! Third thing is probably just the performance of the car is impeccable from only putting 400 miles on it so far. Another thing is that the G80 has wireless Apple CarPlay which is a sort of big thing to me. One more thing is the drivers assistance package, for long trips or feeling lazy on the Highway it does a great job driving autonomously. Let me know if you want to hear more, or have any questions!
Appreciate 2
Patton2502936.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      09-28-2021, 11:38 PM   #30
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't recall going viral so prob a diff car
Well viral in the bmw insta page community, your car is Brooklyn and on vossen wheels?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #31
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

Unfortunately I haven't driven the G80 non x drive variant but I would imagine it is amazing as well. I am absolutely in love with my G80. All I can really comment on is how it might compare to the F80. I absolutely loved my F80 as well and I miss it dearly, that car was very special to me. I do love the bump in interior quality and design in the G80, the power and handling is the best of any car I've ever driven.

I won't lie I was initially afraid of BMW mutilating the M3 design with this generation and was initially shocked when it came true. However the design grew on me fast and seeing it in person for the first time was comparable to the time a very young me saw a Lamborghini Gallardo up close in person for the first time. Now that mine has finally come im in love with it and love the front end as well. Before I had people telling me my F80 was " basically the same car" as their 328 etc but not anymore.

Overall everytime I get behind the wheel I feel like the G80 is the car I want to drive forever. Ideally I would've kept my F80 as well as that car had its own unique feel to it that I loved. Unfortunately that was not viable.

On another note the X drive system is awesome, driving in the rain is now a pleasant experience where as with a rwd car there was alot of slipping and traction control kicking in. Not sure how i feel about the Pirelli tires i got in the tire lottery as taking some corners specifically if it's a corner on a bit of a grade the wheels almost slip it feels like. I'm curious as to how the Michelin's compare.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #32
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

I have never owned a BMW.. This will be the first one... Also, it takes 5 to 7 months to get a M3/M4 to California.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #33
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Great thread and indeed, I expected to see a lot more videos/commentary when xDrive models were delivered. I'll share my thoughts (I have a G82 but close enough to your thread's title. )

I was immensely excited when the new body style debuted and the fact that xDrive was an option made it even more compelling. I sent my order code to my service advisor in January and expressed my desire to be first in line once allocation began. He immediately notified me once they got allocation and my order was slated for production July 12th. The wait was....painful. (I tracked it across the Atlantic and even captured the ship going through the Panama Canal via their web cams.) Finally took delivery end of August.

I mention this because I sometimes questioned whether I should just ditch the wait and get a RWD model, but the wait was so worth it. Previously I owned an F82 and loved it but always felt the power was just too much for two wheels. Given the G82 is probably 80-100+ horsepower (my F82 was non-Competition model), AWD was a must. And I can REALLY tell the difference.

Last weekend a buddy and I took our cars out for some fun on twisty roads. (He has a Nismo Z.) In the past, my F82 was fast and agile, but on drives like we did there were occasional moments where I thought I felt understeer, and many moments where I was on the gas on roads that weren't perfect and I'd get the traction control light blinking on/off while the motor was simultaneously losing power momentarily or at least the power was tempered. When the rear grabbed the asphalt again, I could feel the power brought back in full and the car would toss me further back in my seat. (I usually drive with all the traction control on along with the nannies. I'm wanting spirited driving but not the risk of crashing my beloved/expensive machine.)

Enter the G82 with xDrive. I'm hesitant to use launch control because it's hard on the engine/drivetrain (or so the manual suggests), but I did a somewhat "launch control" at a metering light when getting onto the freeway. Full auto mode with Sport Plus exhaust/throttle, transmission at the 2nd level (one lower than the most aggressive setting), and normal/default AWD mode. I can't recall what happened in great detail... because it all happened so damn fast! Vastly different and improved from the F82. It hooked up, threw me deep into my seat, and screamed through the first two gears like a race car trying to murder me with noise and acceleration. When I let off the gas, I was at freeway speed, and whether it was 3 or 3.5 seconds after starting, it was just amazing.

Later came the twisty roads. My buddy's Nismo is fast and can handle corners like a go-cart. In my F82 I aimed to stay close, but often back off a bit because I kept hitting some of what I wrote above about driving feel, and also because I just get a little scared of hitting the car's limit. With the G82 last weekend, it was honestly kind of effortless to keep up. The damn thing accelerates like the F82 could never do around corners, up hills, or on poor pavement. It hooks into the road and the more you press the gas the more it pulls the earth to you even faster. And with the newer chassis and the huge 275 tires in the front, turning seems to not have a limit that I intend on finding. Take a corner fast, and it's planted. Press the gas more and turn the wheel in further, and the car yawns at you because you're still not really pushing it. I'm personally not interested in the extreme limit of what this thing can do on a public road because it's just that fast and agile. It's plenty capable enough for my taste and I'm sure with an M Track Day lesson or two I could really unlock everything, but if I never do that I'll still be satiated with what this extraordinary machine can do.

As a bonus, when I pass my buddy or if he's behind me while we're flying around twisties, he reports that the car sounds more exotic than the F82.

Beyond the acceleration and cornering capabilities, the rest of the car is such an upgrade across every part of the driving experience. Others on the forum have stated the Harmon Kardon sound system isn't great, but to my semi-audiophile ears, it's a punchier, more enveloping sound than my F82. I've re-listened to old songs just to hear them on the new system. I also have the carbon bucket seats and full Silverstone white leather in the cabin, which looks magnificent. And the all digital instrument cluster is what I've wanted for a long time. All in all this machine is a lovely beast.
Appreciate 13
      10-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #34
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When you were first able to drive with a license
What was your first car?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #35
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What was your first car?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What was your first car?
My sister and I shared a leased '18 340i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #36
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What was your first car?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What was your first car?
My sister and I shared a leased '18 340i M Sport
Very nice
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #37
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_travers View Post
Great thread and indeed, I expected to see a lot more videos/commentary when xDrive models were delivered. I'll share my thoughts (I have a G82 but close enough to your thread's title. )

I was immensely excited when the new body style debuted and the fact that xDrive was an option made it even more compelling. I sent my order code to my service advisor in January and expressed my desire to be first in line once allocation began. He immediately notified me once they got allocation and my order was slated for production July 12th. The wait was....painful. (I tracked it across the Atlantic and even captured the ship going through the Panama Canal via their web cams.) Finally took delivery end of August.

I mention this because I sometimes questioned whether I should just ditch the wait and get a RWD model, but the wait was so worth it. Previously I owned an F82 and loved it but always felt the power was just too much for two wheels. Given the G82 is probably 80-100+ horsepower (my F82 was non-Competition model), AWD was a must. And I can REALLY tell the difference.

Last weekend a buddy and I took our cars out for some fun on twisty roads. (He has a Nismo Z.) In the past, my F82 was fast and agile, but on drives like we did there were occasional moments where I thought I felt understeer, and many moments where I was on the gas on roads that weren't perfect and I'd get the traction control light blinking on/off while the motor was simultaneously losing power momentarily or at least the power was tempered. When the rear grabbed the asphalt again, I could feel the power brought back in full and the car would toss me further back in my seat. (I usually drive with all the traction control on along with the nannies. I'm wanting spirited driving but not the risk of crashing my beloved/expensive machine.)

Enter the G82 with xDrive. I'm hesitant to use launch control because it's hard on the engine/drivetrain (or so the manual suggests), but I did a somewhat "launch control" at a metering light when getting onto the freeway. Full auto mode with Sport Plus exhaust/throttle, transmission at the 2nd level (one lower than the most aggressive setting), and normal/default AWD mode. I can't recall what happened in great detail... because it all happened so damn fast! Vastly different and improved from the F82. It hooked up, threw me deep into my seat, and screamed through the first two gears like a race car trying to murder me with noise and acceleration. When I let off the gas, I was at freeway speed, and whether it was 3 or 3.5 seconds after starting, it was just amazing.

Later came the twisty roads. My buddy's Nismo is fast and can handle corners like a go-cart. In my F82 I aimed to stay close, but often back off a bit because I kept hitting some of what I wrote above about driving feel, and also because I just get a little scared of hitting the car's limit. With the G82 last weekend, it was honestly kind of effortless to keep up. The damn thing accelerates like the F82 could never do around corners, up hills, or on poor pavement. It hooks into the road and the more you press the gas the more it pulls the earth to you even faster. And with the newer chassis and the huge 275 tires in the front, turning seems to not have a limit that I intend on finding. Take a corner fast, and it's planted. Press the gas more and turn the wheel in further, and the car yawns at you because you're still not really pushing it. I'm personally not interested in the extreme limit of what this thing can do on a public road because it's just that fast and agile. It's plenty capable enough for my taste and I'm sure with an M Track Day lesson or two I could really unlock everything, but if I never do that I'll still be satiated with what this extraordinary machine can do.

As a bonus, when I pass my buddy or if he's behind me while we're flying around twisties, he reports that the car sounds more exotic than the F82.

Beyond the acceleration and cornering capabilities, the rest of the car is such an upgrade across every part of the driving experience. Others on the forum have stated the Harmon Kardon sound system isn't great, but to my semi-audiophile ears, it's a punchier, more enveloping sound than my F82. I've re-listened to old songs just to hear them on the new system. I also have the carbon bucket seats and full Silverstone white leather in the cabin, which looks magnificent. And the all digital instrument cluster is what I've wanted for a long time. All in all this machine is a lovely beast.
Thank you so much for taking the time and writing this detailed review. I'm super excited. Just like you I was tempted to settle for a RWD as they were in the lot many times. But an allocation opened and I ordered the x drive without any test drives. Production has begun!! So you can imagine what I'm going through. If lucky I would be driving this thing in December. I'm so damn impatient and excited at the same time. I don't remember looking forward to a car this much.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #38
NKGK20
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M , G80 on

There's a ton of folks that are still waiting for there xdrive.. just look at the build thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:19 AM   #39
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Do it for you, not others

and

since when does age make a difference on YouTube?

This is something my son and his friends did

10-14-2021, 12:34 AM   #40
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKGK20 View Post
There's a ton of folks that are still waiting for there xdrive.. just look at the build thread.
True. I finally got my vin and build date of Oct 21.
      10-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #41
Solarium
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Honestly I think BMW's not promoting the xDrive as much or sharing it with the reviewers because they don't want to cannibalize their RWD market. Coming from the 2016 M4 (pre-ZCP), driving the G80 xDrive literally made me feel like there was something wrong with the M4. And there is... the M4 slid literally everywhere before I upgraded the PSS tires to the PS4S. And even the PS4S couldn't handle a mild tune with BM3 at stage 1. There was so much low end torque that it was possible to do a drift at every turn. It was fun to drift but nothing else beyond that, it couldn't do a launch control without swerving left and right, I couldn't put any power down for fear of the rear end sliding out, I couldn't turn very well either because of the lack of control of the rear end. I knew that my next M will have to be an xDrive, especially after testing the M5 with the same xDrive and knowing that I will be eventually tuning it.

The moment I got the G80 xDrive I knew there was a huge difference, even during the test drive when I picked up my car at the dealership. There was so much more control, usable horsepower, grip, emotion, and driver involvement. It's not as boring to drive at all, and even when compared to a GTR which I rented before it felt more alive. The MDM is fantastic, and feels like every turn I make it allows just the right about of slippage just like a RWD. It allows me to concentrate on the driving experience rather than focusing on keeping the car not sliding out all the time. It's not a fair comparison to say the least.

I was previously thinking of a 911, but I really doubt that a $150k 911 C2S/C4S will perform even 10% better than the G80 xDrive. Even with testing the 991.2 C2S with my M4 I wasn't really impressed by it. At most it would be a side grade not an upgrade for the Porsche brand. To get something that's clearly an upgrade beyond the G80 xDrive you would really have to go all out and get the $200k GT3 or Turbo, plus the G80 doubles as a practical and usable daily driver with 4 doors. Tell me what 4 door sports sedan can compete right now (not counting the new Cadillac CT5-V/CT4-V offerings, but I really don't like their mundane exteriors and it's not AWD). The xDrive IMO is the only way to drive the new gen M's and BMW really hit it out of the park with this one.
Appreciate 7
Patton2502936.50
kjx3162.50
02M3ForMe4255.50
      10-14-2021, 04:29 AM   #42
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
Honestly I think BMW's not promoting the xDrive as much or sharing it with the reviewers because they don't want to cannibalize their RWD market. Coming from the 2016 M4 (pre-ZCP), driving the G80 xDrive literally made me feel like there was something wrong with the M4. And there is... the M4 slid literally everywhere before I upgraded the PSS tires to the PS4S. And even the PS4S couldn't handle a mild tune with BM3 at stage 1. There was so much low end torque that it was possible to do a drift at every turn. It was fun to drift but nothing else beyond that, it couldn't do a launch control without swerving left and right, I couldn't put any power down for fear of the rear end sliding out, I couldn't turn very well either because of the lack of control of the rear end. I knew that my next M will have to be an xDrive, especially after testing the M5 with the same xDrive and knowing that I will be eventually tuning it.

The moment I got the G80 xDrive I knew there was a huge difference, even during the test drive when I picked up my car at the dealership. There was so much more control, usable horsepower, grip, emotion, and driver involvement. It's not as boring to drive at all, and even when compared to a GTR which I rented before it felt more alive. The MDM is fantastic, and feels like every turn I make it allows just the right about of slippage just like a RWD. It allows me to concentrate on the driving experience rather than focusing on keeping the car not sliding out all the time. It's not a fair comparison to say the least.

I was previously thinking of a 911, but I really doubt that a $150k 911 C2S/C4S will perform even 10% better than the G80 xDrive. Even with testing the 991.2 C2S with my M4 I wasn't really impressed by it. At most it would be a side grade not an upgrade for the Porsche brand. To get something that's clearly an upgrade beyond the G80 xDrive you would really have to go all out and get the $200k GT3 or Turbo, plus the G80 doubles as a practical and usable daily driver with 4 doors. Tell me what 4 door sports sedan can compete right now (not counting the new Cadillac CT5-V/CT4-V offerings, but I really don't like their mundane exteriors and it's not AWD). The xDrive IMO is the only way to drive the new gen M's and BMW really hit it out of the park with this one.
That read like a article in a magazine. Thanks for that. Having owned the RWD G80 and traded it in on a build of the AWD i’m finally in production. Should be a couple more months before I get it but I’m really excited. Thanks for your comments.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 04:52 AM   #43
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [10.00]
2022   [10.00]
Quote:

I own a stage 2 F82 and literally feel EXACTLY the same as you about the F82…I have loved my F82 but it's more unusable than usable…and that's why I ordered the G80x drive. My build week has been continuously pushed back to the point where I was at a dealership yesterday seriously considering pulling the trigger on a RWD G80 that they have in stock…thanks to your post I'll patiently wait for my G80!

I also considered cross shopping the 911 Carrera S but just wasn't practical enough as a daily with 2 toddlers.

Again thanks for your review…helped me a lot!
      10-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #44
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:

They had to do a RWD version so they could have a manual transmission. That's the only reason it should exist.

They aren't doing a wagon/touring in the US because of low sales. Well the number of people that would pick RWD over AWD is a very very small percentage of people. Seems like a bad decision from a business perspective.