home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

09-22-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
StephenF92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Competition xDrive

NYC - Sales Tax & Recommended Insurance

I am about 10 days away from picking up my new 2022 M4 Competition xDrive Coupe. I live in NYC where I will be registering the car. Does anyone know where I can go to see what taxes and fees I should expect to pay?

Also does anyone have any recommend car insurance companies for my situation living in NYC?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Are you buying from the dealership? They should be doing all the tax, titling and registration for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Whatever the tax rate is for your zip code x MSRP. DMV fees are just a few hundred and thankfully NYS limits dealer doc fee to $75. Other states let dealers steal $499+ for paperwork. Insurance is impossible to answer. Just use a few comparison sites to let them do the searching for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

I live in Jersey and when I saw the line item for taxes, I almost wanted to cry, lol. I don't expect NY is going to be any better. FWIW I saw a $50 a month jump in my car insurance and we get every discount there is. Going to shop around though because insurance rates tend to be all over the place. If I lived right next door to you, was the same age, same number of kids, same cars, we'd get two different insurance rates. Call around and compare, that's your best bet.
      09-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
wooblewobble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenF92 View Post
I am about 10 days away from picking up my new 2022 M4 Competition xDrive Coupe. I live in NYC where I will be registering the car. Does anyone know where I can go to see what taxes and fees I should expect to pay?

Also does anyone have any recommend car insurance companies for my situation living in NYC?

Thanks
The simplest would be if you didn't pay any tax to the (presumably out-of-state) dealer and the dealer will just hand you the car with temp plates in exchange for a sales price plus whatever BS dealer "fees" they charge (and maybe a couple bucks for the temp plates). All you'd really need to do is go to the DMV in NY with the bill of sale and MCO. They will at least collect the STATE tax you owe and will make sure to get it from you before they even let you register the car/get plates. They might also collect any LOCAL (city, county) tax you owe on top of state tax (at least that's what the city's tax website says: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/ta...hicle-tax.page), and if so, a single visit to the DMV should take care of everything. I assume it'll be your standard sales tax rate (8.875%) on the final selling price, plus a couple hundred bucks for title/registration.
Appreciate 0