BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

07-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
LeviBruno
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Next car advice - M3C vs M5C vs RS6 vs E63s

Currently daily a 2019 base M5. Great car, especially on the highway now that I'm traveling a bit more. Weekend fun car is a Cayman GTS 4.0 manual. Before the M5 I had a '17 M3 that was almost the perfect car so I'm really interested in the M3comp xdrive to replace my current M5. However, I'm also interested in the RS6/E63 wagon as a more direct competitor to the M5 in terms of size/comfort/speed. Options are M3comp, RS6 or M5comp LCI. What would you do for your daily? Is the fit and finish of these new M3's really as nice as the F90 M5's?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #2
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviBruno View Post
Currently daily a 2019 base M5. Great car, especially on the highway now that I'm traveling a bit more. Weekend fun car is a Cayman GTS 4.0 manual. Before the M5 I had a '17 M3 that was almost the perfect car so I'm really interested in the M3comp xdrive to replace my current M5. However, I'm also interested in the RS6/E63 wagon as a more direct competitor to the M5 in terms of size/comfort/speed. Options are M3comp, RS6 or M5comp LCI. What would you do for your daily? Is the fit and finish of these new M3's really as nice as the F90 M5's?
The G80 is a wonderful do-it-all daily as a single car if you like the way it looks (and I do), but if I already had such an accomplished fun car like the Cayman GTS manual and could afford a more luxurious 4-door daily, I'd step up to the next level of accomplished platforms with decidedly better interiors (with a bit more space as well).

I've been in a few M5s, and I myself think they're a bit larger and have more special interiors than the G8X, especially at some of the touch points like the climate control. And you can get decidedly better stereos in the 5/E63/RS6.

So if I already had a Cayman GTS, I'd pair it with an RS6 or E63 for a daily (or even an M5 Comp), especially if I had regular passengers. And if you can, and rarely travel with more than 4 people, swing for the fences and get the M5 CS with those amazing buckets in the front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:46 PM   #3
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Rs6 is a boat, albeit a wickedly fast one. Definitely drive one but I think you'll find the m3 to be a lot more precise when you're pushing it. Rs6 sure gobbles up freeway miles though - really depends on what you're going to use it for.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #4
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

RS6 definitely a downgrade vs M5. E63 about same as M5, though the M5 got the edge over it.
M5 LCI I find it a bit meh vs pre LCI

I would give the M3C a try in this case just to scratch the itch for new car, otherwise I would keep the M5, such a competent car
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #5
Ska8139
Rep
Drives: Dad mobile

Quote:
the M5 is a great car, but in terms of performance, it might be marginally quicker in a straight line (certainly no quicker in real world driving) than the wagons, but that's about it. In terms of negatives, it's less practical (interior space and especially trunk), has a worse interior and isn't as special in the same way as the wagons, at least in terms of availability/uniqueness (try getting a discount of any kind on either wagon or for that matter even an allocation). I'd also argue that the M5 doesn't sound nearly as good as the E63, and that's even after 2021 E63 AMG face lift which is known to be quieter than the years before it. If I were comparing these cars, the E63 wagon is the way to go. The only catch with the E63 is that they make a few hundred a year (~300 or so) and you'll likely end up languishing on a wait list for over a year like I have. A local Boston dealership claimed to have an allocation, but wanted a non-refundable $5k deposit and wanted $10k over MSRP. I hung up before she even finished her sentence. The M5 is the way to go if you don't care for wagons, aren't interested in paying at least MSRP and wanting a discount, or just want to stay brand loyal to BMW.

I test drove the G80 M3, and while found it to be an impressive driving car, felt that it was too expensive for what it was. It's a mass produced car and with the spec I would want, it was pushing $90k. Add in AWD, and you're probably sitting at mid $90s for a 'good' spec. It's styling is very controversial too. If you're okay with the styling and money isn't an object and you really want a sedan, then it seems like a good choice. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Ska8139; 07-11-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
I have an F80 and just bought an RS6 a couple of weeks ago. I would absolutely recommend the RS6 to someone who already has a driver's car (Cayman) for when they want that kind of thrill. The RS6 is nowhere near as enjoyable to drive as my F80 (or what I presume the G80 is like) but whole different league in terms of comfort, quietness, etc. If you want a comfy car that can double as a driver's car maybe lean towards the E63 but if comfort is your top priority in your next car I'd say go RS6.

P.S. you may want to add a Taycan Cross Turismo to your list of options...

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 01:12 AM   #7
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

I just moved from an M5 to a G80. I loved the M5 and although it was brutally fast it became a bit boring. Where I am there just isn't enough room to really use it and I wanted something more dynamic.

The G80 is refreshing, really fun, and I love how it drives. It looks aggressive and although I was 50/50 on the grille I already think it along with the rest of the car looks great. The interior is a step down in luxury but still very nice and the design is perfect. I only miss the sound system from the M5.

And the suspension tuning is so much better than my F90. I'm really enjoying it (it's only been a few days).

However, you have a GT4… and in your position I'd probably do rs6 if you can get one. The Porsche checks all the sport car boxes.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:01 AM   #8
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

RS6!!!!! Won't see many at all on the road. Which for me is one of the best things about it. Prob getting one soon myself. Not sure I can wait for the Z06 with all the push backs.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
LeviBruno
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the feedback. The M5 is hard to pick on because it does everything so nicely. I'm a little tired on the BMW brand though after doing an M3 for 3 years and now this M5 for another 3. I worry about the quality of the RS 6 given I had the last model S4 and the quality between M3 to S4 was night and day, in the M3's favor. I'm a fan of the fit and finish of the M5 and worry the RS 6, although way fricken cool, would be a downgrade in luxury just from my previous Audi experience....BUT that doesn't sound like it's true these days. Main job of this next car is to be comfortable for 3 hour work drives, but also be able to rip around town, making noise and being obnoxious. Really love the look of the RS6 over anything else out there currently.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for the feedback. The M5 is hard to pick on because it does everything so nicely. I'm a little tired on the BMW brand though after doing an M3 for 3 years and now this M5 for another 3. I worry about the quality of the RS 6 given I had the last model S4 and the quality between M3 to S4 was night and day, in the M3's favor. I'm a fan of the fit and finish of the M5 and worry the RS 6, although way fricken cool, would be a downgrade in luxury just from my previous Audi experience....BUT that doesn't sound like it's true these days. Main job of this next car is to be comfortable for 3 hour work drives, but also be able to rip around town, making noise and being obnoxious. Really love the look of the RS6 over anything else out there currently.
If you are down with tuning, full bolt on and tune, you have a pretty bad ass street car
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:01 AM   #11
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Interesting. Audi fit and finish when new is usually pretty good and they usually start falling apart only after warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
LeviBruno
Private
Rep

Not so much stuff breaking but comparing new to new Audi always just feels a little cheap to me. Weight of an Audi door compared to a BMW door is always something that bugged me. BMW always feels much more solid and seems to have that German structural heft to it. I’ve owned many Volkswagens as well and always feel the Audi quality to be too similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 09:05 PM   #13
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

I went from BMW camp to MB for E63s wagon. If BMW would have similar wagon I would probably stay with BMW but I switched 3.5 years ago and cant be happier.
E63s such an universal vehicle because it can do it all: costco shopping, fit 2 big dogs, or make super noises and pass another cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:27 PM   #14
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Not so much stuff breaking but comparing new to new Audi always just feels a little cheap to me. Weight of an Audi door compared to a BMW door is always something that bugged me. BMW always feels much more solid and seems to have that German structural heft to it. I’ve owned many Volkswagens as well and always feel the Audi quality to be too similar.
I got in a A5 from Enterprise and the windows rattled and seemed loose. I know it was a rental but had low miles and of course the windows were frameless but it sort of turned me off about the car.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #15
LeviBruno
Private
Rep

We’ll I ended up trading in my 2019 M5 base for an RS 6 and have had it for about 2 weeks now. I regret my decision and have learned my lesson on needing to test drive before buying… something I haven’t done for the past 3 cars I’ve owned.
Looks - personally, I think the RS6 is a much more interesting car from the outside. The lines, the 22inch rims, the massive front calipers and the fact that it’s a wagon all add up to a really cool/interesting looking car. Compared to the m5, the RS6 is (to me) a better looking car.
Interior - touch screens everywhere, plastic bits, cloth headliner. Those were the first 3 things I noticed. The touch screens look cool, but man do I miss being able to control everything with my right hand on the rotary nob and my eyes on the road. The touch screens require you to actually “press” them and you get a little feedback but doing this requires alot more attention. The buttons on the actual steering wheel require you to press them, and even when you press them they have a cheap feeling to them. I had a 2016 Audi s4 and remember that sort of bugging me. It’s hard to explain unless you feel the Audi buttons. But they feel cheap compared to the BMW product. I didn’t really pay much attention to the alcantara/suede pillers and headliner in my m5 but noticed immediately in the rs 6 it’s just a normal cloth material. Something about a $120k car with that kinda bugs me.
Performance - the car is brand new, still with only 160 miles on it, but I still have done a few hot runs with it. The feeling I get with it when flooring is “numb”. You don’t feel the violent pushed back feeling like the m5, but more of a “I think I’m going fast, oh shit yeah I’m going fast after checking the spedo” sort of feeling. I guess it sort of depends what you prefer, but the Audi feels removed. On a daily comfort driving basis the Audi would win in my book. The air suspension does an amazing job with any imperfections in the road and the cabin is extremely quiet. That’s a nice feature of the car, but when it comes to wanting to flip it into fun mode, it just doesn’t break away enough from the luxury cruiser mode to really excite me. One thing I do enjoy about the Audi is the rear wheel steering. Getting into tight parking spaces or maneuvering around in a parking garage is an odd feeling. The car is way more tighter than it should be.
Running out of steam here but those are my initial thoughts on it. I’m actively looking to trade it, working with a few dealers around the country, on a new m5 or possibly a Gt63/s. Let me know if there are any other questions on it or if anyone wants to take it off my hands!
Attached Images

Last edited by LeviBruno; 08-08-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Sucks but it's classic Audi. Not sure why people buy these cars expecting an exciting drive as they will always be a step down from an M or AMG car. They are nice daily drivers that can mimic a performance car but if you are looking for excitement you will always be left disappointed. It's still a nice car and maybe it will grow on you in time. Maybe SickGTR will take it off your hands as he said he was looking at ordering one but I imagine that may have been just talk to rile up the BMW folk as is his thing.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 08-08-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #17
SickGTR
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Sucks but it's classic Audi. Not sure why people buy these cars expecting an exciting drive as they will always be a step down from an M or AMG car. They are nice daily drivers that can mimic a performance car but if you are looking for excitement you will always be left disappointed. It's still a nice car and maybe it will grow on you in time. Maybe SickGTR will take it off your hands as he said he was looking at ordering one but I imagine that may have been just talk to rile up the BMW folk as is his thing.
Hey there heavy D___. It's not talk to rile up anyone. I've said it a million times. People buy whatever they want. I could care less. I've driven the Rs6 and did not have those thoughts. Especially coming from an M5. The Z06 is what's holding me up. I hate waiting but not going to buy the Audi and trade it a year later. To me, that's pissing money away. I can hold my F82 for as long as it takes. Why would it"rile " anyone on here up about buying a non BMW? Holy fanboys if that's the case. I know the X3m can't hold a candle to the Rs Q8🤪 Doesn't mean people won't buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
XsltAnalyst
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80, 957 Cayenne

you should test drive Cayenne GTS. Yes it's slower but you'd be surprised.

Otherwise test drive Tesla Model S plaid. Might be the change you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #19
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
I say you wait for the G90 M5.
Appreciate 0