BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

05-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Associate driver profile with multiple keys

My car came with two key fobs. One goes in my man purse and the other goes in my gym bag. I usually have one or the other but if both, the second one is in the trunk so that if someone breaks in, they still can't start the car.

So...

When I switch fobs, even though both are assigned to my profile (no one else drives the car) when I start the car it comes up as Guest and I have to select me and then enter the passcode, which is all a real PITA.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution to let both fobs have the same profile?

In my other car (the G30) this is not an issue, but then it has the older iDrive that doesn't use MyBMW to store profile information.

Yeah, yeah, I guess I could have two profiles, but then that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

I have an even worse problem, every single time when I start the car I need to choose my profile otherwise it stays to guest....
      05-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinglagos View Post
I have an even worse problem, every single time when I start the car I need to choose my profile otherwise it stays to guest....
You have to go into settings (I think that's it...) and associate the key with the profile. It is not very obvious, I think when you go into profiles you then have options on the far right of the screen, and one of those is settings or something like that. It took me a while to find it.

There are some other options that I have set and then have absolutely no idea how I did it or how to get back to it. iDrive has gotten better, but sometimes the options are so buried or not quite where you'd think they should be, that it can be difficult to find them.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
You have to go into settings (I think that's it...) and associate the key with the profile. It is not very obvious, I think when you go into profiles you then have options on the far right of the screen, and one of those is settings or something like that. It took me a while to find it.

There are some other options that I have set and then have absolutely no idea how I did it or how to get back to it. iDrive has gotten better, but sometimes the options are so buried or not quite where you'd think they should be, that it can be difficult to find them.
Thanks! Figured must be something like that but yeah the menus are a bit hard to navigate...
      07-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
thehaloboy
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp G80

Also, taking off the PIN seems to help.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
I'm still having this problem. Only one of my keys is associated with my profile, the other key requires me to select my profile on startup. I DO have the "associate with key" settings selected.

Even worse, now when I try to select my profile, each and every time it says it cannot verify my ConnectedDrive account and I have to put in my password. Every time I start the car. I tried de-selecting the ConnectedDrive option in profile settings, but it turns itself back on every time I restart the car.

Anyone have solutions for these?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #7
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
My solution was that I stopped using both keys.

Progress, sometimes, is not a step forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
My solution was that I stopped using both keys.

Progress, sometimes, is not a step forward.
Ya, unfortunately I called Genius and they confirmed that 1. You cannot have a profile on two keys, and 2. Worse, I had to delete my profile in order to stop the constant password requests. Now I'm having a completely different issue with my profile being my email address and not my name with no way to change it. Genius(es) spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to help me fix it before starting an IT Ticket they'll update me on.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:23 PM   #9
LuvMyE92
Rep

Quote:
Ya, unfortunately I called Genius and they confirmed that 1. You cannot have a profile on two keys, and 2. Worse, I had to delete my profile in order to stop the constant password requests.
I guess the other way to "fix it" is to configure "guest" just how you want it to be, and leave it alone.

Now...

In my wife's car, I have two profiles, one for each key, hers and mine. I had taken her to the airport and when she got back into the car, she couldn't remember how to change the profile back (it would have done it automatically had I locked the car and she unlocked it) so she changed all of the settings in my profile to what she wanted.

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Ya, unfortunately I called Genius and they confirmed that 1. You cannot have a profile on two keys, and 2. Worse, I had to delete my profile in order to stop the constant password requests.
I guess the other way to "fix it" is to configure "guest" just how you want it to be, and leave it alone.

Now...

In my wife's car, I have two profiles, one for each key, hers and mine. I had taken her to the airport and when she got back into the car, she couldn't remember how to change the profile back (it would have done it automatically had I locked the car and she unlocked it) so she changed all of the settings in my profile to what she wanted.

I think I may have found another workaround. I've De-linked my key fobs, but I kept the link to the Digital Key (aka the plastic card that came in the car) in just leave that in the signal tray. It worked so far with one set, I'll set what happens when I try to get into the car with the other key fob.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'm having a related challenge. We have two 2022 BMWs (both with iDrive 7). We cannot get my husband's personal profile picture (which he just uploaded to his MyBMW profile) to appear under his driver profile in the vehicle. Does the update to the vehicle take a few hours, overnight, or a couple days?

I updated my personal profile picture a few months ago, and I can't remember whether it appeared in the vehicle (the M4 I primarily drive) immediately or after a short delay. My picture correctly appears with my driver profile in the X3 (and has, since Day 1).

I've done everything exactly like BMW's "how to" video, which suggests the update is immediate.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/07/v...n-your-bmw-id/

Edit: his personal profile photo now appears in the vehicle the day following updating his photo on MyBMW. (It wasn't there this morning but is there late this afternoon). First-world 'problem' solved ...

Last edited by luckylingy; 03-10-2022 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:08 PM   #12
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now...

I think I may have found another workaround. I've De-linked my key fobs, but I kept the link to the Digital Key (aka the plastic card that came in the car) in just leave that in the signal tray. It worked so far with one set, I'll set what happens when I try to get into the car with the other key fob.
But the digital key can start the car, it's equivalent with locking the car with a key still in the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I'm having a related challenge. We have two 2022 BMWs (both with iDrive 7). We cannot get my husband's personal profile picture (which he just uploaded to his MyBMW profile) to appear under his driver profile in the vehicle. Does the update to the vehicle take a few hours, overnight, or a couple days?

I updated my personal profile picture a few months ago, and I can't remember whether it appeared in the vehicle (the M4 I primarily drive) immediately or after a short delay. My picture correctly appears with my driver profile in the X3 (and has, since Day 1).

I've done everything exactly like BMW's "how to" video, which suggests the update is immediate.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/01/07/v...n-your-bmw-id/
Two things come to mind.

1.) Is your account synchronizing with the online account? There is a setting to enable to disable account synchronizing.

2.) Try changing your pic with the mybmw app. I change my idrive pic in THAT and it immediately changes in the car.
      03-10-2022, 02:10 PM   #14
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jailonacs99;28016886"
Quote:
Quote:

Now...

But the digital key can start the car, it's equivalent with locking the car with a key still in the ignition.
Yeah, leaving your key in the car doesn't sound good.

I don't understand why it's hard just to pick one fob to use?

This design choice by BMW (only one key can be associated to a profile) is a huge mistake though. I use the digital key 100% of the time. I can associate my profile to my iPhone or Apple Watch, but not both. Pretty disappointing. Now I just use my watch to lock the car occasionally.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #15
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I do a variation: I leave the digital key concealed inside the car (NOT in the 'charging' tray), so I can start the unlocked car without retrieving my key (e.g., jockeying cars between the garage and driveway) -- but also not leave it vulnerable to nefarious minds. (I always lock the car when not at home.). I also use the digital key card whenever I walk/hike in warmer months (in order to minimize bulk in my shorts' pockets).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #16
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Quote:
I do a variation: I leave the digital key concealed inside the car (NOT in the 'charging' tray), so I can start the unlocked car without retrieving my key (e.g., jockeying cars between the garage and driveway) -- but also not leave it vulnerable to nefarious minds. (I always lock the car when not at home.). I also use the digital key card whenever I walk/hike in warmer months (in order to minimize bulk in my shorts' pockets).
Interesting you use the card. Have you set up your phone to act as a key? That will give allow you to not have the key on you and not have to leave the card in the car.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 07:33 PM   #17
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Interesting you use the card. Have you set up your phone to act as a key? That will give allow you to not have the key on you and not have to leave the card in the car.
Yes, I have my iPhone set up as a digital key as well. This time of year I'm bundled up in several layers to walk outdoors, so physical keys aren't noticeable. Once the weather warms and (most of) the layers peel off, I'll leave the keys at home and just carry my iPhone and the digital card key (belt-and-suspenders approach) on my walks and hikes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 11:26 PM   #18
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jailonacs99;28016886"
Quote:
Quote:

Now...

Absolutely; literally the same day I originally posted I re-thought that scenario. It also didn't really solve the main issue, which is that the car is designed around the core driver profile being logged in to. The issues I had around having to re-login were mostly about that.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, it's best to revolve your main key fob around your profile and keep it synched. It's nice and seamless with my key fob, my phone as a key, and the card as a key. The second key fob stays at home because my wife never drives it anyway.
Appreciate 0