BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

09-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #1
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3C xDrive

Ceramic Coating

Hey guys - I know this belongs in the cosmetic sub-thread but wanted to post here for visibility. I’m getting my entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF. Also thinking about getting a ceramic coating on top the the PPF. What brand ceramic do you recommend and think is best? Thanks in advance
      09-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
DAlby18
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red M3 Competition

It's funny I only hear about Xpel on this forum and nothing about kavacha? Apparently Kavacha has a pod with 9h already on it. Has anyone had this done? This was the route I was thinking about going.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlby18 View Post
It's funny I only hear about Xpel on this forum and nothing about kavacha? Apparently Kavacha has a pod with 9h already on it. Has anyone had this done? This was the route I was thinking about going.
the hardness is irrelevant because all coatings still scratch that I've seen used on cars. Ceramic coatings can help with cleaning but I don't count them as protection. I've had countless cars coated with just about every major brand out there. Some are better than others in terms of reducing cleaning time but none are what is consider game changing. Feyn labs does have a self healing coating which is pretty good though.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
WraithM5
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, G80 M3C Xdrive

Gyeon PPF coating, and Carpro Skin would be good options for you, and very easy to DIY even. I also recommend their other general detailing products as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
the hardness is irrelevant because all coatings still scratch that I've seen used on cars. Ceramic coatings can help with cleaning but I don't count them as protection. I've had countless cars coated with just about every major brand out there. Some are better than others in terms of reducing cleaning time but none are what is consider game changing. Feyn labs does have a self healing coating which is pretty good though.
^ This.

PPF = protection from rock chips, scratches and swirl marks.
Ceramic = a permanent waxed look (when clean), protection from things like bird droppings. Ceramic wears off over time too - polishing scrubs it off.

Ceramic is not a substitute for PPF. Not even close.

Should you have ceramic over PPF? Most people get it because the cost over PPF is negligible. I think you can get by if you wanted to skip it after getting PPF.

Source: I have PPF + ceramic on many surfaces on two cars. And just ceramic on other surfaces. I will be getting full body PPF and ceramic on the M4 when it arrives because panels with PPF have held up flawlessly while the ceramic only surfaces are not as perfect as they started off when looked at up close.

Last edited by kjx; 09-06-2021 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3327.00
      09-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix924 View Post
Hey guys - I know this belongs in the cosmetic sub-thread but wanted to post here for visibility. I’m getting my entire car wrapped in Xpel Ultimate Plus PPF. Also thinking about getting a ceramic coating on top the the PPF. What brand ceramic do you recommend and think is best? Thanks in advance
I am getting an M4 Comp xD, will have a full Xpel stealth on all AW panels and components, with a Xpel gloss on all other surfaces. Will be adding a Gyeon over the top as I live on the coast and have a lot of birds and bat's in the area.
      09-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which ceramic are you going to go with? I was thinking Feynlabs self healing but unsure really. Also I tried private messaging you but I think your inbox is full!
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Which ceramic are you going to go with? I was thinking Feynlabs self healing but unsure really. Also I tried private messaging you but I think your inbox is full!
for any non-wrapped sections (I decided to lease so I'm not wrapping the whole car now ironically) will get Feynlabs Labs Heal (lite or Plus, I'm not sure yet). I'll clear it out, thank you for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Quote:
^ This.

PPF = protection from rock chips, scratches and swirl marks.
Ceramic = a permanent waxed look (when clean), protection from things like bird droppings. Ceramic wears off over time too - polishing scrubs it off.

Ceramic is not a substitute for PPF. Not even close.

Should you have ceramic over PPF? Most people get it because the cost over PPF is negligible. I think you can get by if you wanted to skip it after getting PPF.

Source: I have PPF + ceramic on many surfaces on two cars. And just ceramic on other surfaces. I will be getting full body PPF and ceramic on the M4 when it arrives because panels will PPF have held up flawlessly while the ceramic only surfaces are not as perfect as they started off when looked at up close.
Thank you, I feel like this gets confusing for some people caught up in the marketing. That's why we have this great community, to keep people from making mistakes or sharing our stories.

I have a good random orbital buffer so I can easily polish things up should I need to but I prefer coating so it's not needed in essence. Using a foam cannon, 2 bucket method and fresh rinse is so much easier with a coating than without so long as it's done right.
Appreciate 1
kjx3162.50
      09-05-2021, 10:12 PM   #10
sf2360
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G06-2021,718 GTS 4.0, Raptor

I've done xpel fusion plus on top of xpel ultimate and stealth on my raptor and x4m and currently getting xpel fusion on top of xpel ultimate on my new G82
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
ferrix924
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for any non-wrapped sections (I decided to lease so I'm not wrapping the whole car now ironically) will get Feynlabs Labs Heal (lite or Plus, I'm not sure yet). I'll clear it out, thank you for the heads up!
Is there any reason to get Feynlabs self heal if it’s going on top of PPF?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
not ontop of PPF, only places that aren't wrapped
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #13
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
You can get swirl marks on PPF, as well, but most good PPF is self healing.

Feynlabs is a professional coating, and hard or impossible to get, unless youre a professional installer.

I've had grea success with Kamikaze Zipang Coat, which is also self healing, and you will see that most places dont want to sell it to you, either.

Esoteric is the exclusive US retailer for Zipang, at $319. I prefer to get Zipang from CarZilla in Canada. $319CAD, which, at the time of this posting, is $252 US. Plus about $12-$17 shipping, depending on where you are in the US.

Appreciate 0