BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: Are you installing PPF on your new G80/82?
Full wrap 83 27.30%
Partial coverage 146 48.03%
Nope 75 24.67%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

08-20-2021, 12:55 AM   #89
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
I have no idea yet on where to go... I have been asking owners that have M3/M4 that live in Orange County or San Diego county .........for suggestions.
I was looking at ENVIOUS detailing in Orange county or CERAMIC PRO, and Auto Armour PPF in San Diego on Yelp!
I went to Envious Detailing. Overall I'm happy with their work. There are some small bubbles here and there but I'm happy with what they did. Here's their post and some pictures of my car after worked on it.
Appreciate 1
ROBERT11831569.00
      08-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #90
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

I just got mine back last week. I had the car shipped straight from the dealer to my Autocouture to have the front clip of the car PPF and ceramic coated. Came out amazing. Its not one of the fun mods but for me its the piece of mind knowing I can just enjoy the car and not worry about rock chips and such.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mamba279.00
      01-07-2022, 12:57 AM   #91
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
I'm on the fence with PPF. I just got a quote for $1600 to do the rockers, rear fender behind wheel, mirrors, partial hood and fenders and front bumper. I have never done anything like this before and always try take the best care of my car I can. I know this is the new thing to do is PPF and ceramic but man the money gets ridiculous in my opinion and there are draw backs from what I've read in some threads. I've had some cars 6 to 8 years and the chipping and road rash aren't that bad and I've had cars 3 years and plenty of chips. Just trying to weigh the best way to spend my money on this car without over doing it. I would much rather spend it on exhaust and other mods but I feel like all the gloss black on this car is gonna get beat to crap after a couple of years. I just don't know which direction to go?

Any advice?

Several months later, I connect with this.. how are things now? What did you end up doing?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #92
modat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 IOMG M3 Xdrive

Decided im going to do the front and roof. Going to cost about 2800 here in NJ
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:01 AM   #93
csayad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 Competi ...  [8.57]
  [0.00]
I did an entire PPF on my TZB2 G80 xDrive, costed around $5-$5500k I can't remember off the top of my head
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #94
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Several months later, I connect with this.. how are things now? What did you end up doing?
After dealing with a lot of run around from a few places I ended up doing PPF. I had to take it back and have them re-do a couple of spots as they had imperfections in them. I'm still mixed on the whole deal as it's expensive and I had less than stellar performance from 2 places I dealt with.

Ultimately though it is much easier to clean and I don't have to worry about scratching the paint in the area's I applied it to. I also don't stress as much going down our crappy roads or a truck etc throwing a rock at the bumper or hood.

Would I do it again? If I was leasing nope. Not worth it to me. If I bought and was planning on keeping a long time as well as how special the car was and how I planned on using I would definitely ponder it again. As with anything price is always a big factor to me.
Appreciate 1
eman45171694.50
      01-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #95
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Quote:
After dealing with a lot of run around from a few places I ended up doing PPF. I had to take it back and have them re-do a couple of spots as they had imperfections in them. I'm still mixed on the whole deal as it's expensive and I had less than stellar performance from 2 places I dealt with.

Ultimately though it is much easier to clean and I don't have to worry about scratching the paint in the area's I applied it to. I also don't stress as much going down our crappy roads or a truck etc throwing a rock at the bumper or hood.

Would I do it again? If I was leasing nope. Not worth it to me. If I bought and was planning on keeping a long time as well as how special the car was and how I planned on using I would definitely ponder it again. As with anything price is always a big factor to me.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yea the actual quality of installation is where my quotes are coming in around 2800 just for the front and rockers.

I did buy the car though!! Keep getting mixed feelings about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #96
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW G80 IOMG M3 MANUAL

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me. Yea the actual quality of installation is where my quotes are coming in around 2800 just for the front and rockers.

I did buy the car though!! Keep getting mixed feelings about it.
I had the full hood, bumper, rockers and behind the rear wheel area and it was around $2100 to $2200 I think? It's been awhile so just going off memory. Brand and thickness of film make a difference as does warranty length. The 2 shops I dealt with each used different films so the prices varied.

Either way you got a great car. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #97
retroviol3t
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Jahre - Techno Violet

I'm on the fence about it and I own a matte color.

I walked out and noticed a pin sized rock chip in the hood near the front. Reality in my head is.. it's gonna happen. So I toss around the idea in my head of $10k to wrap the entire car with stealth PPF plus ceramic coating etc.

But then the fact that I may trade this car in or sell it in 4 years and I wonder... does it really matter? It's normal wear and tear ... whats it really going to net me? A couple thousand?
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1141.50
      01-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #98
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
I have no idea yet on where to go... I have been asking owners that have M3/M4 that live in Orange County or San Diego county .........for suggestions.
I was looking at ENVIOUS detailing in Orange county or CERAMIC PRO, and Auto Armour PPF in San Diego on Yelp!
All those high end cars out there and you can't find a shop to cover a BMW? Seems odd to me
Most of the good Places I called have a two month waiting list in NY and a tonne of them are under staffed. Seems like if you want this done somewhere reputable you need to book your car in well in advance of receiving it

I'm really not sure it's worth it to me in hind sight. I'll end up selling the car in a few years and a few rock chips are not going to make any real difference. BMW will just end up paying me the book value, rock chips or not. Anyway, it's done now!

10 years ago none of my cars had PPF or Ceramic and they always looked great with the good old two bucket wash and wax!
Appreciate 2
LuckyBrand1141.50
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      01-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #99
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Quote:
All those high end cars out there and you can't find a shop to cover a BMW? Seems odd to me
Most of the good Places I called have a two month waiting list in NY and a tonne of them are under staffed. Seems like if you want this done somewhere reputable you need to book your car in well in advance of receiving it

I'm really not sure it's worth it to me in hind sight. I'll end up selling the car in a few years and a few rock chips are not going to make any real difference. BMW will just end up paying me the book value, rock chips or not. Anyway, it's done now!

10 years ago none of my cars had PPF or Ceramic and they always looked great with the good old two bucket wash and wax!
I'm having the same issue also booking a appointment. I changed my mind about not getting it but was only doing bumper, mirror and side skirts and of course tinting the windows.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #100
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

In the same boat. Lined up Extreme Colors in Greenville to coincide with PCD. Car was ready before they were, so scheduled with reputable shop back home. Dropped off the car last Monday, only for the owner to call the next day to reschedule (everyone else in the shop tested positive for Covid). Shop was back open today, and I'm now scheduled for next Monday .. I hope.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      01-12-2022, 12:43 AM   #101
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
what has everyone paid for partial (front clip) PPF + ceramic coating (2 coats) ? I am being quoted about 5k for that, which seems high
      01-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #102
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM.PWR View Post
what has everyone paid for partial (front clip) PPF + ceramic coating (2 coats) ? I am being quoted about 5k for that, which seems high
I paid $5k for:

- PPF on the front bumper, full hood, headlights, front fenders, a pillars, full roof, and side blades.
- Ceramic with top coat
- Ceramic tint all around
- Ceramic on all leather surfaces on the interior

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #103
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I paid $5k for:

- PPF on the front bumper, full hood, headlights, front fenders, a pillars, full roof, and side blades.
- Ceramic with top coat
- Ceramic tint all around
- Ceramic on all leather surfaces on the interior
that's a really good deal.
      01-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #104
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:
I'm on the fence with PPF. I just got a quote for $1600 to do the rockers, rear fender behind wheel, mirrors, partial hood and fenders and front bumper. I have never done anything like this before and always try take the best care of my car I can. I know this is the new thing to do is PPF and ceramic but man the money gets ridiculous in my opinion and there are draw backs from what I've read in some threads. I've had some cars 6 to 8 years and the chipping and road rash aren't that bad and I've had cars 3 years and plenty of chips. Just trying to weigh the best way to spend my money on this car without over doing it. I would much rather spend it on exhaust and other mods but I feel like all the gloss black on this car is gonna get beat to crap after a couple of years. I just don't know which direction to go?

Any advice?
I did full PPF on the front, plus the side skirts, and ceramic all over. I have BGM, which seems pretty low maintenance so far (in terms of showing dirt), and like you haven't really been too concerned about chips in the past, but I'm still glad I did it. At a minimum I would do the side skirts + mirror caps. I think without PPF on them the shiny black will look terrible in no time

Edit: I personally wouldn't do partial hood, I think that line in the middle of the hood looks bad and just collects dirt. I would do full hood or nothing.
I agree, the partial line on the hood is what turned my off PPF. I really like a clean car, both from dirt and chips etc. I'm now weighing the idea of at least doing the front of the car.

I lease my cars, but if the resale market is good when I'm looking at my next car, I sell my current car privately, sometimes gain $5k, one time $12k. So, whatever I can do to have a car in the best shape possible pleases me, and it good when I dispose of it.

This all said, I'm still on the fence about PPF.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #105
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

I think it all depends on how anal you are with your paint condition.
I personally cannot stand a rock chip on the bumper or any other body panels.
That's why I got full PPF.
In terms of resale value, it's definitely not worth it.
Appreciate 1
Grrveer87.50
      01-18-2022, 10:20 PM   #106
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Good perspective. (I too HATE rock chips&#129324
Appreciate 1
Grrveer87.50
      01-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #107
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
This 100%. If you don't care that much about rock chips (or you're leasing), save yourself the extra cash. I got PPF on 50% of my X5 M50i + ceramic, and I am so happy I did. Especially because it's BSM. Makes detailing a breeze, and the paint looks brand new. I'll definitely be doing it on my G80. Just have to get an allocation and decide on a color first 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #108
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:

Any advice?
I did full PPF on the front, plus the side skirts, and ceramic all over. I have BGM, which seems pretty low maintenance so far (in terms of showing dirt), and like you haven't really been too concerned about chips in the past, but I'm still glad I did it. At a minimum I would do the side skirts + mirror caps. I think without PPF on them the shiny black will look terrible in no time

Edit: I personally wouldn't do partial hood, I think that line in the middle of the hood looks bad and just collects dirt. I would do full hood or nothing.
I agree, the partial line on the hood is what turned my off PPF. I really like a clean car, both from dirt and chips etc. I'm now weighing the idea of at least doing the front of the car.

I lease my cars, but if the resale market is good when I'm looking at my next car, I sell my current car privately, sometimes gain $5k, one time $12k. So, whatever I can do to have a car in the best shape possible pleases me, and it good when I dispose of it.

This all said, I'm still on the fence about PPF.
I was quoted 1650.00 for bumper, side skirts, B pillar, mirrors and 45% tint for side and back window. Now if I can just get on his schedule.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 1
BardG211.50
      05-23-2022, 10:20 PM   #109
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
I should be picking mine up in a few days here, so far the detailer has had the car longer than I have! My fault though as I choose to PPF the whole car at the last minute (I couldn't pass on it for the extra $ it was going to be from the PPF I had approved already).

People with rear bumper PPFd. How does it look around your proximity sensors? Were the sensors cut around or just PPFd over & left?
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0018923.00
      05-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #110
colo3Kid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Within past 8 days, I had installed Full Front XPel Fusion PPF plus door edges, at time of delivery I had XPel ceramic paint protection put on entire car. So, installer did some serious careful prep to ensure PPF adhesion. So far no lifting anywhere, even edges. As for the black plastic on grille and side vents- no luck. PPF doesn't adhere even if ceramic protection was never installed prior. My X has exterior carbon pack. which includes under frt. bumper, PPF installed on this. The bottom black plastic, under doors would probably respond the same. Also, had ExoShield Windshield protection installed. My area has way too much road construction & small gravel.
Appreciate 0