G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums CANADA

07-30-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
drbachata
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2000 540i 6-speed

Test drives

Was anyone able to secure a test drive with a G80/G82 prior to ordering/purchasing? I'm having no luck at the moment, in great part due to there being like three 6 speed examples in the entire country...

When there were more, dealers were reluctant in allowing test drives, especially on the manual examples - understandably so. Although I'm familiar with 6 speed turbo inline 6s from BMW, I really want to get a feel for the S58 6 speed to compare it with the S55s/B58s I've experienced.

I feel my only chance might be with a current owner *hint hint*. I'd even pay a test drive fee at this point! Beats ordering a $110,000 vehicle you end up not fully appreciating...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbachata View Post
Was anyone able to secure a test drive with a G80/G82 prior to ordering/purchasing? I'm having no luck at the moment, in great part due to there being like three 6 speed examples in the entire country...

When there were more, dealers were reluctant in allowing test drives, especially on the manual examples - understandably so. Although I'm familiar with 6 speed turbo inline 6s from BMW, I really want to get a feel for the S58 6 speed to compare it with the S55s/B58s I've experienced.

I feel my only chance might be with a current owner *hint hint*. I'd even pay a test drive fee at this point! Beats ordering a $110,000 vehicle you end up not fully appreciating...
I test drove a Brooklyn Grey M3C RWD for an hour. They just gave me the keys. I bought a car from them a year ago, so maybe that helped and they knew I was serious about ordering a new M3.
      07-30-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
In my experience it's always been like this when a new M car hits the market. It also matters if you are a new face to that dealership or a repeat customer.

I'm fortunate enough where the G80 M3 was the 3rd car I've acquired from this dealership. My first was an M235, which they did let me test drive. The M2 I ordered without a drive at all because they simply weren't available. The M3 I showed up with my 9 month pregnant wife, and our car seat for a test fitting, proving that we were serious about purchasing the car, so they allowed me an unsupervised test drive for over 2 hours. But I also think this is based on geography, as a good friend of mine on his 6th BMW in New Jersey still couldn't find a dealership to let him do a test drive before ordering.

Lots of words to say work on building the relationship, show you're serious, offer a deposit, establish yourself as a credible buyer (not that you aren't doing those things already), but understand the dealership might be hesitant to let someone beat up on a high-demand car if they don't know you all that well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Shared with another member in the general G80 discussion, and I'll do the same here. I realize you're in Canada, but if you can get here to DFW, I wouldn't be looking for money.

I live about 15 minutes from DFW airport… how about this:

Fly on in, I’ll scoop you up and then you can drive us to a nice steak/martini lunch at Bobs or Perry’s down the road prior to dropping you back off at the terminal.

Half way joking, half way serious.

Car is G80 6MT with roughly 5K on the clock. Nicely broken in
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Yup. Had my current car in for service, but was chatting with the sales manager (who I've been talking to for a while about the G80) and he said he had an M3C coming back from another test drive soon... and soon he gave the me the keys to a Portimao M3C to take out on my own in the cold and wet. Loved it, ordered an MY22 M3C xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
anderson87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I walked into 2 dealers and test drove an M4 and M3. The M4 they didn't even take my drivers license and after I was back asked my name. I was surprised how easy it was to take them out actually. Within 10 min of being at the dealer I was out on the road on my own.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 04:46 PM   #7
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
I tried to test drive a cancelled 6MT order in North Van and they wouldn't let me because they didn't want to put KM on it. I told them no test drive = no sale and they didn't care even a little bit. 0/1 dealers

Same day I went to Brian Jessel and asked to test drive their only 6MT and they said sure and told me to wait out front. Drive pulled up in a black M4 and threw me the key and started walking away without saying anything. Hopped inside and it was a comp??????? I called the driver over and said he grabbed the wrong car. He said "oh they didn't tell you? the 6MT has a pending sale so no driving it. Just test the comp". I took it for a spin, but had a pretty bad taste in my mouth from being dicked around. Spoke to the senior advisor (Valentino) and he said sorry if the sale doesn't go through then call back in a few days and I can test drive. Called him a few days later and he goes "Oh it sold. We sell every 6MT right away.", I go "OK, are you getting another one in soon?", he goes "No. everyone wants xdrive. we aren't ordering any 6MT at all because no one wants them.". I'm thinking to myself that this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about because they clearly sell every manual the bring in right away. Anyway, I checked back on their website 3 more times over the next month and the exact 6MT car was still for sale and never in fact sold. I'm pretty sure all he cared about was an upsell even though I was ready to walk out with the manual. Such a shady practice. 0/2 dealers and they are never getting my business again.

Same day, decided to check out auto west in Richmond. Waited around for 15 mins and was completely ignored by everyone there. For reference I'm a 30yr old well dressed white dude. Didn't even get a greeting from reception. At this point I was so annoyed from the first two dealers and then being ignored so I just walked out. 0/3 dealers

Went to BMW store in Van. Their manager had a white 6MT demo car off site but they advised that I could reschedule to take it for a spin. I called back a few days later (expecting another reach around) and they were actually really accommodating and I finally was able to test the stick. Unfortunately it was really bad traffic that day but regardless I actually didn't enjoy the clutch feel at all compared to my aftermarket spec clutch in my 435i. I let them know and decided to finally drop my hopes of another brand new 6MT and just finalized and placed a deposit on an m4 comp xdrive.

For any BC people looking for recs on dealers, I was actually shocked at the terrible service of every dealer except The BMW Store in Vancouver. Hope you have better luck than I did
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
For any BC people looking for recs on dealers, I was actually shocked at the terrible service of every dealer except The BMW Store in Vancouver. Hope you have better luck than I did
I definitely did, and have great experiences at Brian Jessel (including Valentino). Sorry you didn't. When I'm there, I'm usually a very casually dressed "white guy", pretty obviously not even slightly concerned about the cars as a "status symbol" like most of the people wandering around the showroom. That gets me ignored at Audi dealerships, and gets them $0

I've heard a lot of people have inconsistent experiences across multiple dealerships, I write it off to catching people on a bad day vs a good day. Building a good relationship at a dealership helps, perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 07:24 PM   #9
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
I definitely did, and have great experiences at Brian Jessel (including Valentino). Sorry you didn't. When I'm there, I'm usually a very casually dressed "white guy", pretty obviously not even slightly concerned about the cars as a "status symbol" like most of the people wandering around the showroom. That gets me ignored at Audi dealerships, and gets them $0

I've heard a lot of people have inconsistent experiences across multiple dealerships, I write it off to catching people on a bad day vs a good day. Building a good relationship at a dealership helps, perhaps.
Yes I'm sure there are lots of good experiences from those dealerships, I was just surprised at the string of bad luck trying to check out one vehicle.

What really stuck with me from the failed test drive and subsequent phone convo with the Brian jessel rep was that the 6MT was still listed for weeks afterwards. And I was completely dismissed for no apparent reason. The SA that I placed my 22 g82 xdrive order with commented on the fiasco saying that bringing over the loaded model instead of the requested model was one of the oldest (and frowned upon) tricks in the book for sales but they had no idea why they would essentially lie over the phone afterwards about having sold and not bringing anything else in

My experiences at BJ prior to this were all good, including picking up my 435
Appreciate 1
evilalien447.50