BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

08-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
mpkoz
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler

Replacing headlights

I was an idiot and opted out of the laser headlights on my allocation. Back when I made the build I assumed they would have about the same DRLs and wasn’t a fan of the blue plastic. Now I’m regretting it tremendously mostly due to the daytime driving lights on the non-lasers looking so strange. Build has been locked for a month now and is due in mid September.

I know retrofitting lasers is ridiculous, I’ve heard between $5k-10k and I’ve never replaced headlights in a car otherwise. Will there be other custom/aftermarket options? Will those options be extremely expensive as well? Again, it’s mostly the driving lights I dislike. If there was a way to replace just those LEDs I’d be happy too.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpkoz View Post
I was an idiot and opted out of the laser headlights on my allocation. Back when I made the build I assumed they would have about the same DRLs and wasn’t a fan of the blue plastic. Now I’m regretting it tremendously mostly due to the daytime driving lights on the non-lasers looking so strange. Build has been locked for a month now and is due in mid September.

I know retrofitting lasers is ridiculous, I’ve heard between $5k-10k and I’ve never replaced headlights in a car otherwise. Will there be other custom/aftermarket options? Will those options be extremely expensive as well? Again, it’s mostly the driving lights I dislike. If there was a way to replace just those LEDs I’d be happy too.

Thanks in advance!
The laser lights are listed at $7200 on bmwpartspro.com. You will also need the ecu coded afterwards from the dealership (or someone that knows how to do that). I don't foresee aftermarket laser lights in the near future..
      08-15-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
M3-san
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3xD, 535xi

There's a pair on eBay I saw a few days back.

Ah, here they are:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25482978582...8AAOSwLZpf-YEs

$4,900
      08-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
mpkoz
Rep

Thanks guys. The pair on eBay are intriguing but seems like they are R&D units or something. I saw those in another thread. I don’t necessarily care about the laser lights, just that the LED pattern doesn’t look so bad. Was hoping there was another aftermarket pair or perhaps there will be after more time passes.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:43 PM   #5
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Thanks guys. The pair on eBay are intriguing but seems like they are R&D units or something. I saw those in another thread. I don’t necessarily care about the laser lights, just that the LED pattern doesn’t look so bad. Was hoping there was another aftermarket pair or perhaps there will be after more time passes.
Garbage aftermarket lamps on an 80k car... At least let it depreciate a little!

Looking through G20 parts lists there may be a laser retrofit kit out there that should install the same, however I haven't looked into it as my car has lasers. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
NYBulldog1309.00
      08-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #6
mpkoz
Rep

Yeah good point. Hopefully will find a way to get lasers in without costing 10k.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #7
GJBFI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 competition Xdrive

After seeing the laser lights in real life I decided finally not to take them. Although they have a nice shape when in use I find the blue plastic pieces to look cheap and do not match all the exterior colors.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:46 PM   #8
psylovibe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

I hear you! Similar case. Just that my car got switched to a 2022 and the options changed. Honestly, I would talk to your CA and just get another allocation. That’s what I did. I don’t mind the wait. But I’m not buying an 80k+ car and trying to retro fit or spend another 5-7k for an option costing an extra $1000.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #9
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-san View Post
There's a pair on eBay I saw a few days back.

Ah, here they are:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/25482978582...8AAOSwLZpf-YEs

$4,900

Pre production parts not the same as the production headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:52 PM   #10
mpkoz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJBFI View Post
After seeing the laser lights in real life I decided finally not to take them. Although they have a nice shape when in use I find the blue plastic pieces to look cheap and do not match all the exterior colors.
That’s interesting, I initially didn’t go with them because of the blue. Still haven’t seen either in person, good to know there’s a chance I’ll prefer the standard lights regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:31 PM   #11
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Probably cheaper to just trade the car in. I plan on getting the anti dazzle reporgrammed when I get my car.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #12
GJBFI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 competition Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
That's interesting, I initially didn't go with them because of the blue. Still haven't seen either in person, good to know there's a chance I'll prefer the standard lights regardless.
In Canada we have in addition of the cheap blue plastic this flashy yellow sticker who cannot be remove of the laser lights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
iqstick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
In Canada we have in addition of the cheap blue plastic this flashy yellow sticker who cannot be remove of the laser lights.
It's the same on the US spec cars from what I've seen. Kinda sucks IMO but nothing you can do about it.
      08-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
kbanga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C | G80 M3C | E24 635CSi

I have a car on order right now and absolutely needed the Laserlights or i wouldn't accept the car. It makes the car "futureproof" in a way and i think they lighting structure is miles better than the non-laserlight option. Not sure how people think the blue plastic piece makes it look cheap when literally no other car on the road has them? Probably something new people are complaining about with these cars
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      08-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post
I have a car on order right now and absolutely needed the Laserlights or i wouldn't accept the car. It makes the car "futureproof" in a way and i think they lighting structure is miles better than the non-laserlight option. Not sure how people think the blue plastic piece makes it look cheap when literally no other car on the road has them? Probably something new people are complaining about with these cars
The US version of the Laser Lights in dumbed down from the European Spec. Antidazzle is disabled, and the beam doesnt project near as far as those in the EU. I believe the US cars Project 600 meters, and the EU Project 900 meters.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 06:18 PM   #16
spridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbanga View Post
The US version of the Laser Lights in dumbed down from the European Spec. Antidazzle is disabled, and the beam doesnt project near as far as those in the EU. I believe the US cars Project 600 meters, and the EU Project 900 meters.
Easy enough to activate the EU spec functionality with some programming
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13014.00
      08-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Easy enough to activate the EU spec functionality with some programming
It is, but Im also hearing its being restored to factory, when they push updates to the car. Did even know that was a thing.

Appreciate 0