07-17-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
Bostro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i xdrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 g82  [10.00]
Best camber plates for street and track

It happened… racing is getting into me. From one HPDE to another and here we go… addiction is kicking in.

Consulting my path towards “better tracking machine” with my dealer foreman who is also racing etc. we would like to start with camber plates.

What camber plates brand you would reccomend and why?

Will appreciate feedback from “real users” who can also ellaborate on pros and cons.

Thank you all for stepping into the zone of better cornering
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, M1000RR

I'm using Millways and I'm pretty happy with them. Its set to -3º and there still a bit of adjustability available if i wanted to go even more aggressive.

Anyway In your place I'd look at coilovers, as you'll surely get there eventually so just save the camber plates money and skip directly to complete suspension that will allow you that adjustment and more.
Appreciate 1
Bostro531.50
      07-18-2023, 08:00 AM   #3
GTS Daddy
#Driver
Rep
Drives: '23 G80x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM73 View Post
I'm using Millways and I'm pretty happy with them. Its set to -3º and there still a bit of adjustability available if i wanted to go even more aggressive.

Anyway In your place I'd look at coilovers, as you'll surely get there eventually so just save the camber plates money and skip directly to complete suspension that will allow you that adjustment and more.
Any extra sound/NVH coming from those Millways?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #4
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
The quality of the Millway plates is superb. Even my alignment guy who does a lot of race cars commented. I have the monoball and did not notice additional NVH but this is on a CSL with more NVH already. Millway makes a street version if you're concerned about NVH. While I'm not familiar with all "complete suspension" kits on the market for the G8x, the coilover sets I've seen do not include camber plates, so it shouldn't be considered throw away money if you decide to go coilovers later. Not sure what @RM73 is referring to in that regard.
      07-19-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Daddy View Post
Any extra sound/NVH coming from those Millways?
They sell 2 variants of these plates, one is "Street" (the ones I've got) and the other is "Uniball". They state the the Uniball version will produce higher NVH, on the Street version I could not feel any noticeable difference compared with stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 03:07 AM   #6
RM73
How Low Can You Go
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
While I'm not familiar with all "complete suspension" kits on the market for the G8x, the coilover sets I've seen do not include camber plates, so it shouldn't be considered throw away money if you decide to go coilovers later. Not sure what @RM73 is referring to in that regard.
Most track oriented coilover set will include camber adjustment (ie AST, Moton, Nitron), making the millway camber plates useless. Of course you can go with a more street oriented coilover and reuse the camber plates, they will probably be compatible.
My thinking relates to the OPs comment on "racing is getting to me" ... when that happens you will end up going for the best options available, most of the times you'll just spend extra going for "in between" solutions, I've done it myself. Either you set a strict budget or over time you'll look back and wish you'd just got those better, more expensive parts from the go.
Appreciate 1
LuvMyE923000.00
      07-19-2023, 06:20 AM   #7
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM73 View Post
My thinking relates to the OPs comment on "racing is getting to me" ... when that happens you will end up going for the best options available, most of the times you'll just spend extra going for "in between" solutions, I've done it myself. Either you set a strict budget or over time you'll look back and wish you'd just got those better, more expensive parts from the go.
That's a good point, but it also kind of depends on the car, if it's going to become a dedicated track rat or if it will also be used occasionally on the street, or it's your only car and used 98% on the street. The latter may require more compromises.

Getting a car prepared for the track is a slippery slope. Things like camber plates are easily justified, as they will quickly pay for themselves in more even tire wear and perhaps a bit sharper turn-in. Brake pads for the track are a no-brainer, but once you start changing the suspension geometry and putting in a cage, seats, harness, etc. you really change the character and usability of the car.

I was telling a friend about this just yesterday. I've been doing HPDE for decades now, and I gave up instructing a long time ago, so now when I go I'm usually by myself... but my last school with BMW CCA I had an instructor. I had gotten lazy and developed bad habits, and he helped me to realize and correct those baddies. But he was also pushing me to go much faster, be more aggressive, more along the lines of a racer (which he is) versus someone just enjoying the weekend (which is me). I summarized it by saying "he can drive his $8000 E36 race car to the limits and beyond without much worry, but it's a different story in my $80,000 street car".
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 4
GTS Daddy372.50
RM73343.50
Bostro531.50
Polo088161610.00