BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-11-2024, 09:08 AM   #1
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Intermittent slow leak in tire??

I know how crazy this sounds, but I have been experiencing an intermittent slow air leak in one of my tires. It's been going on for about six weeks now. Over the course of five days, I'll lose up to 10 psi in the tire. I fill it up with air and then go five or six days without losing any air.

I brought it to a reputable tire shop that I have good experience with, and they couldn't find a leak - from the tire, valve stem or wheel. I've checked tire pressure several different ways and they all match to within a couple psi as is the norm.

This is all crazy to me. I'm going back to the tire shop later today, but I was hoping someone out there may have an idea of what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 09:19 AM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Inflate to 45PSI and dunk the wheel in the kiddie pool. You’ll find it. Chances are good it’s a puncture where a small nail got into the tread and just barely punctured the belts and then got flung out and left behind a very small hole or slit. Have you actually taken the wheel off yourself to look? I had one like this… basically had to poke a hole to patch it, it was that small, but I found it.

Take the wheel off and inspect the tread closely all around the contact patch. If you see any imperfections, spray it with soapy water or a little spit and check for bubbles.
Appreciate 2
mathys202.50
      04-11-2024, 09:30 AM   #3
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Inflate to 45PSI and dunk the wheel in the kiddie pool. You’ll find it. Chances are good it’s a puncture where a small nail got into the tread and just barely punctured the belts and then got flung out and left behind a very small hole or slit. Have you actually taken the wheel off yourself to look? I had one like this… basically had to poke a hole to patch it, it was that small, but I found it.

Take the wheel off and inspect the tread closely all around the contact patch. If you see any imperfections, spray it with soapy water or a little spit and check for bubbles.
Thank you. I have had the wheel taken off (after filling the tire to 45 psi) and dunked in water by a reputable tire store. They couldn't find a leak and were as perplexed as I was. After one attempt, the tech even came out to verify my story and went back to dunk the tire again. He couldn't find a leak on the first or second attempt. I'm going back there later today.

btw, I suspect there's a small finishing nail of some sort in there. But it's been the on-again off-again nature of the leak that's so perplexing. And yes, I know it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 09:46 AM   #4
StreetLethal
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 6MT

I have a summer tire like this currently. Inflate to 33, then over a week its down to 27 and holds there. When I swapped to winters I went over the tire with a fine tooth comb and found a broken nail wedged in the depths between the tread blocks. The hole is there, you just haven't found it yet. The pool trick is a good idea, but it may not leak until pressure is applied in just the wrong spot.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      04-11-2024, 10:00 AM   #5
abg80m3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Competition (G80)

I had something weird happen with my G80 where if I tightened the factory wheel stem cap all the way (finger tight) the tire would start losing air. If I don't tighten the cap all the way my tire holds pressure steady without any issues. Not sure if this is happening with you but you might want to check.

I'm having the dealer look at what's going on with my tire later this week.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      04-11-2024, 10:08 AM   #6
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Stem
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2024, 10:55 AM   #7
BEAR-AvHistory-2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40, BMW M4C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by abg80m3 View Post
I had something weird happen with my G80 where if I tightened the factory wheel stem cap all the way (finger tight) the tire would start losing air. If I don't tighten the cap all the way my tire holds pressure steady without any issues. Not sure if this is happening with you but you might want to check.

I'm having the dealer look at what's going on with my tire later this week.
Expect you did, but did you look inside of the cap to see if anything might touch the valve stem? Otherwise have them replace the whole assembly.

Dravit Gray, 503BHP, AWD, Black Leather, Moonlight Roof, Red Calipers.
1965 Cobra Replica
Appreciate 2
hinckley3492.50
      04-11-2024, 12:21 PM   #8
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethal View Post
I have a summer tire like this currently. Inflate to 33, then over a week its down to 27 and holds there. When I swapped to winters I went over the tire with a fine tooth comb and found a broken nail wedged in the depths between the tread blocks. The hole is there, you just haven't found it yet. The pool trick is a good idea, but it may not leak until pressure is applied in just the wrong spot.
Agree. May not leak until under certain uses, pressures, temps, etc.
Appreciate 1
hinckley3492.50
      04-13-2024, 08:09 PM   #9
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I know how crazy this sounds, but I have been experiencing an intermittent slow air leak in one of my tires. It's been going on for about six weeks now. Over the course of five days, I'll lose up to 10 psi in the tire. I fill it up with air and then go five or six days without losing any air.

I brought it to a reputable tire shop that I have good experience with, and they couldn't find a leak - from the tire, valve stem or wheel. I've checked tire pressure several different ways and they all match to within a couple psi as is the norm.

This is all crazy to me. I'm going back to the tire shop later today, but I was hoping someone out there may have an idea of what's going on.
This happened to me on one of my rear PS Super Sports. Nail in the tire and almost $500 to replace.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:24 AM   #10
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

I think the air leak is prob coming from the stem or there is prob a hole thats too small that when its not on the car and under no weight, its sealed and so the water test isnt helping. But once you put it on the car, the weight of the car is able to expand the hole/cut and air starts leaking out. Either ways, if the tire shop doesnt find any issues, have them first replace the valve stem and if that doesnt work then might have to replace the tire or tires depending on the thread dept of the other tire
Appreciate 1
BimmerFix1390.50