BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

11-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #1101
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS6

Kind of annoying that we have these leaks and still no good photos of the final car. Are people getting frustrated with the lack of information yet? Release the fucking car.

We've seen the front, rear, and seats. What more do we need to see for them to show a final version of the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #1102
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

My hope and guess is they are busy redesigning the front. They cannot afford to screw up the icon of the ///M brand.

I mean, Van Hooydonk would be crazy to have his legacy mirred by screwing up the legend status of the M3. Who would want to be remembered for that? LoL
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24824.50
      11-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #1103
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
My hope and guess is they are busy redesigning the front. They cannot afford to screw up the icon of the ///M brand.
Bad guess!
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      11-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #1104
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Bad guess!
Hahhaa
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24824.50
      11-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #1105
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I mean, Van Hooydonk would be crazy to have his legacy mirred by screwing up the legend status of the M3. Who would want to be remembered for that? LoL
To be honest, this almost seems accurate. There is no reason why they wouldn't have released official images of the car by now - think about past models that leaked and then they went on a full media blitz to get out ahead of it.

They haven't done that despite the front and rear leaking well over a month ago now. Hell, at least de-camo the ring car a little more so we can see the final body lines. The fact that they have done neither of these things suggests that there may be something going on from a redesign perspective.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #1106
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
Quote:

To be honest, this almost seems accurate. There is no reason why they wouldn't have released official images of the car by now - think about past models that leaked and then they went on a full media blitz to get out ahead of it.

They haven't done that despite the front and rear leaking well over a month ago now. Hell, at least de-camo the ring car a little more so we can see the final body lines. The fact that they have done neither of these things suggests that there may be something going on from a redesign perspective.
You guys are truly hopeful. I have to admire it. Re-tooling and redesigning doesn't work that way. The production line is already set. The car is already production ready for the most part. SCOTT26 has already explained that aspect as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #1107
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys are truly hopeful. I have to admire it. Re-tooling and redesigning doesn't work that way. The production line is already set. The car is already production ready for the most part. SCOTT26 has already explained that aspect as well.
Then why are they waiting a full year to start production? Also why has there been no mention of the car at any shows, nor any indication that production is truly set.

I think there's a lot of speculation on whats going on. Seems very odd that we have had the magnitude of leaks and spy shots come out about this car and BMW has not responded by showing the car. Even M's CEO came out and admitted to the leaks - why would they not just show the car at that point?

Also, I am not one of these people that hates the design - I just think that if we follow BMW's recent track record, cars that were generally close to being done/production that leaked, BMW has come out and launched a media blitz almost within the week. See the M8, X5M and X6M.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #1108
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Then why are they waiting a full year to start production? Also why has there been no mention of the car at any shows, nor any indication that production is truly set.

I think there's a lot of speculation on whats going on. Seems very odd that we have had the magnitude of leaks and spy shots come out about this car and BMW has not responded by showing the car. Even M's CEO came out and admitted to the leaks - why would they not just show the car at that point?
I think this has already been addressed by those with a working knowledge of model life cycles, and those who have insider knowledge. The M4 is still in production, and that is one of the reasons mentioned. You'd have to go back and read through the threads. Furthermore, SCOTT26 just saw the M3 in person last month, and he reiterated that the grilles are here to stay.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #1109
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think this has already been addressed by those with a working knowledge of model cycles, and those who have insider knowledge. The M4 is still in production, and that is one of the reasons mentioned. You'd have to go back and read through the threads. Furthermore, SCOTT26 just saw the M3 in person last month, and he reiterated that the grilles are here to stay.
When are we going to see the car then - I am shocked we're going to end 2019 with no indication of what the next gen M3 looks like, when M3 production ended in this year and the G20 has been out for almost a year.

BMW is handling the release of this car in spectacularly stupid fashion. Some of us don't want to wait almost two years for an indication of what the next car is going to look like. Let alone the fact that they have teased this radical redesign that no one likes. My patience for waiting to see if its even worth waiting further is running out, as I am sure quite a few others are.
Appreciate 3
MFNATIK3487.00
J-RO2078.00
Covfefe189.00
      11-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #1110
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think this has already been addressed by those with a working knowledge of model cycles, and those who have insider knowledge. The M4 is still in production, and that is one of the reasons mentioned. You'd have to go back and read through the threads. Furthermore, SCOTT26 just saw the M3 in person last month, and he reiterated that the grilles are here to stay.
When are we going to see the car then - I am shocked we're going to end 2019 with no indication of what the next gen M3 looks like, when M3 production ended in this year and the G20 has been out for almost a year.
The G20 and the M3 operate on two different product scales. What I mean by that is, the G20's arrival wasn't really a threat to cannibalize M3 sales. Selling the G80 next to the F82 could potentially cannibalize the last few dollars BMW wants to make off of the M4's life cycle.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #1111
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

BMW is handling the release of this car in spectacularly stupid fashion. Some of us don't want to wait almost two years for an indication of what the next car is going to look like. Let alone the fact that they have teased this radical redesign that no one likes. My patience for waiting to see if its even worth waiting further is running out, as I am sure quite a few others are.
FWIW, we all have a pretty good indication of what the car will look like. We've seen the front and the rear of the car, and we've seen the newest side profiles wearing less body cladding/camo.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #1112
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, we all have a pretty good indication of what the car will look like. We've seen the front and the rear of the car, and we've seen the newest side profiles wearing less body cladding/camo.
Right but that is not enough to make a solid conclusion about the overal cohesion of the final product.

I am one of the people that is very close to pulling the trigger on a 911 because at least I know it doesn't look like ass. I want to give BMW the benefit of the doubt and at least be able to pass judgement on the complete car before deciding to move on. This process with very limited transparency thus far in the game is infuriating.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24824.50
      11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #1113
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Right but that is not enough to make a solid conclusion about the overal cohesion of the final product.

I am one of the people that is very close to pulling the trigger on a 911 because at least I know it doesn't look like ass. I want to give BMW the benefit of the doubt and at least be able to pass judgement on the complete car before deciding to move on. This process with very limited transparency thus far in the game is infuriating.
I agree, but you have an 85-90% idea about what to expect from the car overall. There's some nuance that we don't know (...colors, exact power output, wheel options, etc.), but if a potential buyer hates the front end now, that aspect isn't going to change. If you can afford a 911, I don't even understand why you're debating the M3. I mean that positively. If I could afford the Porsche GT3 I want, I would've already left the BMW camp.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #1114
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

As much as I'm sick of this grille topic, it does give me some relief from seeing all these Tesla forum memebers call their Model 3, M3s lol
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #1115
GlazierGlaze
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, but you have an 85-90% idea about what to expect from the car overall. There's some nuance that we don't know (...colors, exact power output, wheel options, etc.), but if a potential buyer hates the front end now, that aspect isn't going to change. If you can afford a 911, I don't even understand why you're debating the M3. I mean that positively. If I could afford the Porsche GT3 I want, I would've already left the BMW camp.
I can afford and am looking at 991.1 GT3s. However, practicality would suffer and my wife would be pissed.

So I am waiting to see what the M3 looks like since its fast, ideal for future kiddos, and looks good. But if it looks like ass, it will be easier to convince my wife that the GT3 is suitable replacement...
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24824.50
tke743738.50
      11-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #1116
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can afford and am looking at 991.1 GT3s. However, practicality would suffer and my wife would be pissed.

So I am waiting to see what the M3 looks like since its fast, ideal for future kiddos, and looks good. But if it looks like ass, it will be easier to convince my wife that the GT3 is suitable replacement...
I'm jealous. Sincerely!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #1117
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:

Nein. The Grilles are here for now.
They are not changing a thing. If you think THE 4/i4,M3 and M4 Kidney Grilles are large wait till you see what will be showcased next Influenced by Next 100. Taking key elements and applying them to a production form. And the iX.

M. Closed Rooms should be happening in Europe in early 2020.
      11-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #1118
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

They are not changing a thing. If you think THE 4/i4,M3 and M4 Kidney Grilles are large wait till you see what will be showcased next Influenced by Next 100. Taking key elements and applying them to a production form. And the iX.

OMG. Maybe this will really happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Covfefe189.00
      11-19-2019, 06:49 PM   #1119
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:

Can you elaborate on what exactly Next 100 is?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #1120
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Exactly, that's why the M3 is such a special car. You get the practicality, and wife acceptance factor, while having effectively a working race car in the garage. I loved going to track days and taking the kid's seats out of the back in the paddock. My biggest concern is that it's getting too big, unlike most I don't have an issue with a grills.

Last edited by tke743; 11-19-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #1121
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

The 4/M4 is still in production and the g8x needs to do its second season of winter testing.. this is nothing new and the timetable lines up with a late 2020 full reveal, with cars showing up at US dealer lots by summer 2021.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24824.50
      11-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #1122
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Can you elaborate on what exactly Next 100 is?
It’s a concept car.

Not a model specific concept more of a long term futuristic ( next 100 years ) type of concept.

The grill look familiar
Appreciate 0