BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I dunno... English isn't his first language so I wouldn't take every phrase exactly as spoken, could be interpreted as the competition badge vs std badge without "competition" bar is what can't be changed, not the color of the badge itself
"The only thing that's standing out on the competition that cannot be changed are the all black badges as we see in the front and also on the rear of the car."

It's around 9:34 of this video, and this graphic is displayed when he says it.

HA I know I was mostly kidding
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:07 AM   #24
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
lol got me then.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
lol got me then.
Sarcasm never comes across well, while your analysis is accurate and relevant, I still found the hyper detailed nuance of the topic amusing
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #26
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sarcasm never comes across well, while your analysis is accurate and relevant, I still found the hyper detailed nuance of the topic amusing
I was suprised I am the first 6MT snob to notice they are giving us the ability to judge people's transmission choices from afar!
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2426.00
xlover2191.00
      10-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #27
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
"The only thing that's standing out on the competition that cannot be changed are the all black badges as we see in the front and also on the rear of the car."

It's around 9:34 of this video, and this graphic is displayed when he says it.

How strange, I hadn't even noticed the different chrome/black badges until it was pointed out on this thread.

I guess it shouldn't really be that much of a surprise, as my current F82 (non-Comp) DCT has chrome badges versus the black badges on the Comp/CS etc - even if they don't have the natty little 'Competition' bars tacked on that the newer models get.

So obviously the different badge colours (or 'colors' for our North American friends!) are denoting the non-Comp versus Comp as usual, rather than specifically the choice of transmission, however it just so happens that on the G8x generation that going for the Comp version means you get 8AT by default.

Anyway its irrelvant for me, as I live in the UK and we get the 8AT Comp model only. Right, that's more than enough rambling on about badges...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:02 AM   #28
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
wait so you can't get a competition manual? that sucks
Yeah unbelievable, you can't get a black badge with a manual!

The other differences between base and competition are rather minimal (except for the engine tune), I think it's the mirror caps, the gurney and the exhaust tips which are black on the competition, nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #29
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeej View Post
wait so you can't get a competition manual? that sucks
Yeah unbelievable, you can't get a black badge with a manual!

The other differences between base and competition are rather minimal (except for the engine tune), I think it's the mirror caps, the gurney and the exhaust tips which are black on the competition, nothing else.
And with shadowline trim or carbon fiber exterior package, that can be changed. Only the badge can't be changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #30
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I'm actively looking to buy an M3 6MT comp pack. Debating between a F80 or wait a bit for the new base G80. I'm on a list for a new one, but I don't like the idea having to get the "base" model in order to get the manual transmission.

I expect the base G80 will be a better overall car with performance and technology.

I'm leaning towards the F80 and maybe getting the G80 a couple years down the road.
      10-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #31
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I'm actively looking to buy an M3 6MT comp pack. Debating between a F80 or wait a bit for the new base G80. I'm on a list for a new one, but I don't like the idea having to get the "base" model in order to get the manual transmission.

I expect the base G80 will be a better overall car with performance and technology.

I'm leaning towards the F80 and maybe getting the G80 a couple years down the road.
It's not a base car in the sense of the F80. The F80 Comp was night and day (coming from someone that had a base F80, then a comp, then a CS). Most importantly, the suspension is the same on the G80 "base" and comp.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      10-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #32
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's not a base car in the sense of the F80. The F80 Comp was night and day (coming from someone that had a base F80, then a comp, then a CS). Most importantly, the suspension is the same on the G80 "base" and comp.
I appreciate that, but there will be visual cues to tell them apart. IMO the F80 comp looks so much better than the base F80.
      10-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #33
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate that, but there will be visual cues to tell them apart. IMO the F80 comp looks so much better than the base F80.
The only difference is the badge color. If you can't get around that in your head get an F8x.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #34
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

If you REALLY want the black badging, it's nothing some floss and painter's tape can't remedy.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #35
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
If you REALLY want the black badging, it's nothing some floss and painter's tape can't remedy.
Or buy a black badge for a couple bucks on IND.

That's what I'll do but I do NOT get the competition badge.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #36
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Or buy a black badge for a couple bucks on IND.

That's what I'll do but I do NOT get the competition badge.
Ironically enough from a performance and speed standpoint from your CS to a G80 6MT will not be much really...but I get it manual.

I always drive manual, but I'm probably gonna jump to AT because I am tired of driving in Miami traffic driving stick and I do want to buy the best version engine wise for this vehicle so gonna go for the Comp.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #37
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Ironically enough from a performance and speed standpoint from your CS to a G80 6MT will not be much really...but I get it manual.

I always drive manual, but I'm probably gonna jump to AT because I am tired of driving in Miami traffic driving stick and I do want to buy the best version engine wise for this vehicle so gonna go for the Comp.
I would suggest you NOT change. We will all have ample opportunity to drive AT's for the rest of our lives once the MT is dead (along with ICEs).

I drive in and out of Brooklyn every day, the most populous of the 5 boroughs of NYC. It's brutal with a 6MT but I wouldn't have it any other way.

As a fellow gym nut, I find my left calf always looks spiked in every picture lol.

"Base" G80 with a BM3 stage 1 tune and I'll be set.
Appreciate 2
M3GymNut907.50
      10-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #38
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only difference is the badge color. If you can't get around that in your head get an F8x.
How about wheel and stance? Not to mention performance and seats.
      10-17-2020, 07:11 AM   #39
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How about neither are those are exclusive to the competition pack? All wheels can be optioned for both. In fact, all options can be optioned for both. You're misinformed my friend. Suggest you watch the IGTV where Markus Flasch debuts the car and he explains.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #40
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have a base G80 optioned with CF exterior package, CF bucket seats, two tone wheels, etc
Appreciate 0