BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

06-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #221
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I've ordered the M comp. Xdrive because of the fact that I really love a "clean" drive. I'm enjoying a lot with my RWD M140i, and as I'll keep it alongside the M3, I wanted something different.

M140i LSD RWD - a compact just for fun (donuts, burnouts, drifts)
M3 Mxdrive - my personal Autobahn killer and special real M car

And another reason why I bought it 4WD, is that, whenever you want, you can have it RWD pressing a button....

I don't care about the wight, I'll not take it onto a track...so for me it doesn't matter. I go tracking with different and more track focused cars.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 1
PLife647.50
      06-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #222
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

I would have considered 6MT AWD but since that's not an option it'll be 6MT RWD for me. That's OK though - I have a X5 that's got M xDrive and the ZF 8AT so I don't need the same thing in a second car.
Appreciate 1
Mar481099.50
      06-29-2021, 12:13 AM   #223
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp AWD

I really want a manual and I would love to have a brand new car with a manual. However, these cars are putting down way too much power these days. Once you start doing any mods you won't be able to put down the power, which is not fun. The car already has to launch in 2nd gear. I don't want to play the traction game and have to drive around on drag radials.
If AWD was available in a 6 speed there would be no question on which spec to get.
Like others have said, the option to switch the AWD to RWD and use the 10 stage traction control gives drivers the best of both worlds. There is a theory that the M3CS will be available in AWD with a manual, so maybe BMW has a strategy here. I still think about switching my build to manual every now and then… haha
      06-29-2021, 02:04 AM   #224
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadHater View Post
I really want a manual and I would love to have a brand new car with a manual. However, these cars are putting down way too much power these days. Once you start doing any mods you won't be able to put down the power, which is not fun. The car already has to launch in 2nd gear. I don't want to play the traction game and have to drive around on drag radials.
If AWD was available in a 6 speed there would be no question on which spec to get.
Like others have said, the option to switch the AWD to RWD and use the 10 stage traction control gives drivers the best of both worlds. There is a theory that the M3CS will be available in AWD with a manual, so maybe BMW has a strategy here. I still think about switching my build to manual every now and then… haha
I don't know if there is an option for traction control in RWD mode… thought you can only do MDM in RWD mode?! Correct me if I'm wrong!! The 10 Stage traction control is only for the RWD cars..
      06-29-2021, 02:26 AM   #225
The Dad
The Dad
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel16 View Post
Quote:
I don't know if there is an option for traction control in RWD mode… thought you can only do MDM in RWD mode?! Correct me if I'm wrong!! The 10 Stage traction control is only for the RWD cars..
Here you go. An explanation of the AWD
      06-29-2021, 02:36 AM   #226
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep

First of all, I feel like most people here who wants an AWD haven't driven a RWD G80/82. I promise you, it's not the same as F80/82. I bought my G82 because the AWD isn't an option currently … and I'm impatient as f**k. However, I don't regret my decision. I've owned both the F80 and F82.. the traction and launch on my G82 is far superior. Yes, 0-60 will be better with AWD but I can't remember the last time I raced someone off the line… high school maybe? Not something I go around looking for. all I know is that I like to go fast and the RWD G82 checks that box. I have an RRS for a daily, it seems to tackle my rainy and snowy days fairly well. For all that are waiting for an AWD… test drive a RWD if you can.
      06-29-2021, 02:50 AM   #227
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
First of all, I feel like most people here who wants an AWD haven't driven a RWD G80/82. I promise you, it's not the same as F80/82. I bought my G82 because the AWD isn't an option currently … and I'm impatient as f**k. However, I don't regret my decision. I've owned both the F80 and F82.. the traction and launch on my G82 is far superior. Yes, 0-60 will be better with AWD but I can't remember the last time I raced someone off the line… high school maybe? Not something I go around looking for. all I know is that I like to go fast and the RWD G82 checks that box. I have an RRS for a daily, it seems to tackle my rainy and snowy days fairly well. For all that are waiting for an AWD… test drive a RWD if you can.
I did test drive a RWD and I was amazed by the grip. The RWD G80 is probably on of the best rear wheel drive vehicles I have ever driven because of the technology and how it is able to deliver power.
After driving the RWD it just made me very excited for the AWD, haha. The back end got squirrely a few times and I loved it.
However, the xDrive is rear wheel drive biased so it will do the same if you really want it to. I know this from experience in my M340ix. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either choice, I personally wouldn't get a RWD auto. If I go RWD, I will definitely get the manual.

At the end of the day, it is a great car. Your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times don't really matter that much. So just get one and go drive it.
      06-29-2021, 04:49 AM   #228
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I wanted AWD so I got AWD. It snows where I am and I have hills.
Appreciate 1
evilalien450.50
      06-29-2021, 08:13 AM   #229
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Optioning they 10 stage traction control is the only way to get traction control on the AWD version when utilizing RWD mode, per the technical documentation.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #230
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Optioning they 10 stage traction control is the only way to get traction control on the AWD version when utilizing RWD mode, per the technical documentation.
"The M xDrive system also offers a choice of three drive modes: 4WD – the default setting with rear-wheel biased torque distribution focused on traction and precisely controlled handling.
4WD Sport – directs greater percentage of torque to the rear during dynamic driving and is designed to work particularly well on track environments. 2WD – requires DCS to be turned off and affords experienced drivers a pure rear-wheel drive experience without any system intervention".

No traction control in RWD mode. It's all you!

Introducing the 2022 BMW M3 and M4 Competition xDrive https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1817773
      06-29-2021, 02:40 PM   #231
CadHater
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
500BHP & street tires = AWD
Facts.
      06-29-2021, 11:27 PM   #232
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
"The M xDrive system also offers a choice of three drive modes: 4WD – the default setting with rear-wheel biased torque distribution focused on traction and precisely controlled handling.
4WD Sport – directs greater percentage of torque to the rear during dynamic driving and is designed to work particularly well on track environments. 2WD – requires DCS to be turned off and affords experienced drivers a pure rear-wheel drive experience without any system intervention".

Introducing the 2022 BMW M3 and M4 Competition xDrive https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1817773
Re-read the technical documentation. Clearly states that when in 2WD mode for the AWD the 10 stage traction control system can be engaged if it was optioned.
Attached Images

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #233
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Re-read the technical documentation. Clearly states that when in 2WD mode for the AWD the 10 stage traction control system can be engaged if it was optioned.
I take back my previous statement!! You are correct my friend.
EvenKeel418.00
      07-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #234
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Getting AWD by choice & factory default - M4 Convert. Have read that the standard RWD cars will launch in 2nd gear to hold traction.

Is this true?

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #235
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Getting AWD by choice & factory default - M4 Convert. Have read that the standard RWD cars will launch automatically by software in 2nd gear to hold traction.

Is this true?
RWD COMP indeed launches in 2nd gear yes.. not sure yet if AWD will be a 2nd gear launch as well (most likely)
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #236
Vader_G80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 Competition X IOMG

Personally I think there is an argument for both options. As for me, knowing that this engine is making close to 1000hp on stock internals (redbull racing), I would like to know that I am able to put down all of my power in any aftermarket modifications. My issue in coming from my 800whp c63s coupe AMG is that I cant do a darn thing with all of the power as I just wheel spin through all of my gears.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #237
TexasEd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Xdrive;2020 Nissan GTR

I like the AWD concept; had it in my M8 and have it currently in my Nissan GTR. My M4 Competition is not AWD but I am ok with it since my GTR scratches that itch.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #238
frank70
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp. iX M60 on order

Quote:
Facts.
I would also have assumed this for a fact, but then i drove the RWD G80 : it is unbelievable how much traction it has.
We will have to see the reviews and i am sure we will also get comparison reviews for both RWD / AWD versions. If the AWD does not impact the feeling/steering of the car i am sure AWD is the way to go considering the small extra cost.

But if AWD does impact the steering/handling feel of the car i would still very much go with the RWD because really the RWD is absolutely brilliant and has no traction problems at all (when you leave all the electronics turned on)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #239
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

AWD.

It is the reason I decided to buy this car and go all-in. My DD has been some form of turboed AWD car since 2005. I love how AWDs handle in all conditions all year long regardless of season. I don't care about "purity", "saving the manuals", or "real M like they made 50 years ago" nostalgia. Proud heretic. My priorities are mine, to each their own. But I do vote with my dollars

FWIW: I test drove an M3 Comp on a cold wet PNW April day, and loved it. I was very impressed by hiw it felt despite far from optimal "summer" conditions. Then I got in line for a MY22 xdrive allocation.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #240
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilalien View Post
AWD.

It is the reason I decided to buy this car and go all-in. My DD has been some form of turboed AWD car since 2005. I love how AWDs handle in all conditions all year long regardless of season. I don't care about "purity", "saving the manuals", or "real M like they made 50 years ago" nostalgia. Proud heretic. My priorities are mine, to each their own. But I do vote with my dollars

FWIW: I test drove an M3 Comp on a cold wet PNW April day, and loved it. I was very impressed by hiw it felt despite far from optimal "summer" conditions. Then I got in line for a MY22 xdrive allocation.
AWD + Automatic M3

What's next?
9 foot basketball rims
And a participation trophy 🏆

I just looked it up in Webster:

M3 definition: rwd manual transmission

😭😭😭😭
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #241
sleepdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX DG/Blk

AWD without question. It only took BMW 13 years to do what the GTR brought to the public in MY2009.

575 wheel with a few bolt ons in a 3800lb package was a sweet spot for a DD that occasionally made it to a track or strip. That car could put the power down, and was by no means “boring” - Ran 10 flat at 138 in DD form, and would go sideways if U wanted it to.

My f80, while a fun car in its own right, just cannot come close to putting the power down like the GTR did, even at only 444 rated stock Hp. Never tuned it because that would have frustrated the hell out of me.

Hoping I will love my new M like I did the GTR. All that performance with some modern touches, more useable interior, etc,etc would be amazing.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
evilalien450.50
      07-05-2021, 10:04 AM   #242
evilalien
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
AWD + Automatic M3

What's next?
9 foot basketball rims
And a participation trophy 🏆

I just looked it up in Webster:

M3 definition: rwd manual transmission

😭😭😭😭

Pretty sure an American English dictionary (fake English unless it's the OED, because tradition matters right?) doesn't define a German car

And wait until the purists find out about electric toothbrushes, wireless networks, and 2-in-1 shampoo.

I'm glad they make a RWD MT. Buy 2, one kept in storage, because this is probably the last one of it's kind. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to my new year-round all-weather DD.
Appreciate 0