BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-26-2022, 10:11 AM   #45
aimanad_101
Rep
Drives: g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimanad_101 View Post
They blacked the idrive system in video and i thats mean the G81 will have the new id8 system!!!
?
You see him driving with the old system.
But as this is a prototype it doesn't mean much, I still think it will get the new one.
I think bmw will stay with same dashboard same cluster and same entertainment screen But they will replace the id7 with id8 and this is why in video they showed the idrive system turned off
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:18 AM   #46
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
I think bmw will stay with same dashboard same cluster and same entertainment screen But they will replace the id7 with id8 and this is why in video they showed the idrive system turned off
iDrive 8 would most likely required the latest hardware.

I dont think BMW has rolled out any vehicles with iDrive 8 software and iDrive 7 hardware.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #47
G80eek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by acce98 View Post
You are in my same situation !
My dealer has 1 M4C and 1 M3C confirmed , productions mid of July so we have 1 more month or more to change the spec /order .

I will take my decision after the M event and after the delivery time . I can wait max Nov 2022 not more otherwise M3C !

Waiting for same pics the 09/10 May
Well, if your dealers allocations for the M3C are also delayed, I can always sell you my M3C in PB since I have ample time to wait.

I have been delayed over and over again since November 21, which was my initally expected delivery date.

I think getting delivery of the M3 Touring by November 22, given all the ongoing delays, will be quite a challenge.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #48
acce98
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M8 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80eek View Post
Quote:
My dealer has 1 M4C and 1 M3C confirmed , productions mid of July so we have 1 more month or more to change the spec /order .

I will take my decision after the M event and after the delivery time . I can wait max Nov 2022 not more otherwise M3C !

Well, if your dealers allocations for the M3C are also delayed, I can always sell you my M3C in PB since I have ample time to wait.

I have been delayed over and over again since November 21, which was my initally expected delivery date.

I think getting delivery of the M3 Touring by November 22, given all the ongoing delays, will be quite a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80eek View Post
Quote:

Is better for me to don't think about delivery time . As far as I know they already have the production date confirmed for the M3/M4 so I'm quite relaxing 😎.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:53 AM   #49
aimanad_101
Rep
Drives: g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Quote:
iDrive 8 would most likely required the latest hardware.

I dont think BMW has rolled out any vehicles with iDrive 8 software and iDrive 7 hardware.
When they released id5 and id6 it was same hardware (instrument cluster and cid)
Appreciate 1
s58544.00
      04-26-2022, 10:56 AM   #50
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
When they released id5 and id6 it was same hardware (instrument cluster and cid)
Those might have been the earlier versions with just had a software update.

iDrive 8 updates the whole interface and eliminates most of the physical buttons. Its highly unlikely that iDrive 8 software will be compatible with iDrive 7 hardware.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      04-26-2022, 11:42 AM   #51
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prei1978 View Post
Yeah, I'm not convinced, TBH. Going back to Audi: they don't sell the A6 Avant in the US, but somehow managed to make the RS6 legal to sell over here.

I'm sure BMW would sell the M3 Touring in greater numbers than the RS6 given its lower price and brand appeal.
They do: A6 Allroad. And so does Merc.
So, the quote above that crash protocols are too strict is inaccurate and not the whole story.

Simply put: crash testing an entirely new platform for NA market is expensive. Audi, Merc, Volvo have done it, so they can just bring performance versions based on that chassis. Starting from scratch for a niche vehicle run doesn't have a good business case.

The dream for us wagonistas died with the F31.
For those who followed some early threads on the m3 station wagons insiders provided us with some additional color. It is not just the cost of testing, on top of that bmw made some specific design decisions with the g21 knowing the wagon was not headed to the us market that would have to be completely reworked.

One specifically mentioned was the battery setup counts as "in the passenger compartment" which is not allowed in the us.

Obviously I don't know the technical rules nor engineering but on what is reported by insiders to be a run only ~1000 cars globally it wouldn't make really any sense for the portion of that headed to the us.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #52
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
For those who followed some early threads on the m3 station wagons insiders provided us with some additional color. It is not just the cost of testing, on top of that bmw made some specific design decisions with the g21 knowing the wagon was not headed to the us market that would have to be completely reworked.

One specifically mentioned was the battery setup counts as "in the passenger compartment" which is not allowed in the us.

Obviously I don't know the technical rules nor engineering but on what is reported by insiders to be a run only ~1000 cars globally it wouldn't make really any sense for the portion of that headed to the us.
Yep, that's the issue: BMW does not have a homologated Touring platform on which to build M3 version for NA market.

Interesting about a 12V battery being illegal inside the passenger space, but sitting on a battery making up the entire floor is OK. 😉
OK, I know I'm making an apples and oranges dig, but the regulations that are in place just to provide a leverage in government trade deals are just silly.
Appreciate 2
s58544.00
Scorp!on1514.50
      04-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #53
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDON View Post
"We are now on a relatively bad country road"…
Wow!! He's never driven in the US of A!!
Love the car though!
I laughed at that too, I live in the northeast and PA roads are shocking in some areas. It's a disgrace!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #54
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'm so excited about this car! I love that M is building a touring/station wagon M3!

Even if it doesn't come to the US, just that it exits at all makes me happy
Appreciate 1
IanW555484.50
      04-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #55
jeloz
Switching back to Bimmer
Rep
Drives: M3 G81 Touring (2023)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW555 View Post
Here we go!

Delicious.

You get the first post in everywhere Ian 😂

Love the Touring?
We have an M3 Touring group here..
Come join…

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3519...e&exp=4a9f
Appreciate 1
IanW555484.50
      04-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #56
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not convinced, TBH. Going back to Audi: they don't sell the A6 Avant in the US, but somehow managed to make the RS6 legal to sell over here.

I'm sure BMW would sell the M3 Touring in greater numbers than the RS6 given its lower price and brand appeal.
maybe they are not wanting high numbers and know they won't make enough to go around.

question is should i trade my G21 for this ...

rumour has it the next M3 won't be pure ICE ...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:29 PM   #57
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
I just trade my M8C for a M3 Touring .
They invite me on May 18 in Zurich to see the car . ( I don't think it will be possible to drive it ) .
At the moment from my dealer no more info if the car will be equipped with the ID8 .
They told me after a call in BMW that the car will come with the ald ID7 and probably will be ordinable from June 2022 delivery NOV 2022 .

Same for the carbon roof , no INFO .

More info will be after May 18 .

if they confirm ID 8 and delivery NOV 22 I will wait otherwise i will move to the M3C delivery July 22 .
Yes it looks as if they are about to commence showing the final production model to prospective customers at exclusive events prior to full launch.
Other than the hand built model showcased in current media.
      04-26-2022, 04:32 PM   #58
prei1978
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i xDrive Conv.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post
maybe they are not wanting high numbers and know they won't make enough to go around.

Honestly, I think if you're in a market where the M3 Touring will be offered it is a no-brainer. The sedan is very capable and as you say, maybe the last pure ICE version of the car. It is something I'd buy and keep.

That's also the case with the RS6. The next one is unlikely to be a pure ICE and will almost certainly not have a V8, so again, probably a keeper.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #59
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Honestly, I think if you're in a market where the M3 Touring will be offered it is a no-brainer. The sedan is very capable and as you say, maybe the last pure ICE version of the car. It is something I'd buy and keep.

That's also the case with the RS6. The next one is unlikely to be a pure ICE and will almost certainly not have a V8, so again, probably a keeper.
lol you've made me start reading the M3 forums ...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 07:07 AM   #60
IanW555
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3T / X5 F15 30d

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M4 View Post

Definitely plan to keep mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #61
j0Hn10
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(G80)

Quote:
They invite me on May 18 in Zurich to see the car . ( I don't think it will be possible to drive it ) .
At the moment from my dealer no more info if the car will be equipped with the ID8 .
They told me after a call in BMW that the car will come with the ald ID7 and probably will be ordinable from June 2022 delivery NOV 2022 .

if they confirm ID 8 and delivery NOV 22 I will wait otherwise i will move to the M3C delivery July 22 .
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #62
s58
DROP TABLE EVs;
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3 6MT, 2015 Lexus GX460

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Hn10 View Post
Doesn't look like ID8 will be in the 2023 touring...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...karound-video/
The car shown in the video (with the camo wrap) is a test mule car likely using the easily available M3 interior for testing. I would be very surprised if BMW debuts the new 3 series interior in a touring teaser video. I would not be surprised if the production ready touring has ID8. The other touring teaser videos feature a frozen gray touring that only gets partially revealed. I believe they are waiting until the MY23 3 series interior is revealed before showing the actual production M3 touring's interior because it will include ID8.
Join BMWCCA today and become eligible for members only events, discounts, and the new car rebate of up to $1000! Feel free to use me as a referral (with member #553730) which enters me for a performance school day (I should probably be better at driving, anyway).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:14 PM   #63
j0Hn10
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3(G80)

Ive seen the touring with ID7 & ID8. All be it the latter was covered up but you could see the very edge of the screen from the passenger side. I'm new to BMW but to me it feels like a rather big change for an LCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s58_MT View Post
The car shown in the video (with the camo wrap) is a test mule car likely using the easily available M3 interior for testing. I would be very surprised if BMW debuts the new 3 series interior in a touring teaser video. I would not be surprised if the production ready touring has ID8. The other touring teaser videos feature a frozen gray touring that only gets partially revealed. I believe they are waiting until the MY23 3 series interior is revealed before showing the actual production M3 touring's interior because it will include ID8.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:10 AM   #64
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:

Yes it looks as if they are about to commence showing the final production model to prospective customers at exclusive events prior to full launch.
Other than the hand built model showcased in current media.
I got tired of waiting for Bmw to bring me a proper replacement for my F31 and put out a deposit for a RS6. Any changes possible for the North American future of the G81?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 09:39 AM   #65
TJR_///M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C 2021 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Interesting about a 12V battery being illegal inside the passenger space, but sitting on a battery making up the entire floor is OK. 😉
OK, I know I'm making an apples and oranges dig, but the regulations that are in place just to provide a leverage in government trade deals are just silly.
???
Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't think this is anything to to do with trade deals - it's a legacy of lead acid batteries, which you certainly do not want in the passenger compartment, and has not been updated to reflect much safer battery chemistry.
      04-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #66
CarbonBlackJack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I got tired of waiting for Bmw to bring me a proper replacement for my F31 and put out a deposit for a RS6. Any changes possible for the North American future of the G81?
“WE ARE M”

Let me fix the above:

“WE ARE Missing our core market”

Sadly, don’t think there’s a reverse course on this. Once again, worth saying, your enthusiasts will gravitate away from the brand when you consistently misalign strategy with demand. Most everyone will make a “good” electric sports car within German carmakers- building loyalty now is important. I’ll say it again- a petition to Audi to bring the RS4 Avant here may be worthwhile and a poke in the eye of BMW if it actually came into fruition.
Appreciate 0