BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-13-2023, 02:29 PM   #133
Spectremotorsports
Consultant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC, '23 X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
BMW M and the big-grille-only 4-Series crushed it in sales in 2022, so it appears that lots of actual buyers agree.
Not gonna speak to the design much since it's subjective, but everyone keeps mentioning the sales while blatantly ignoring a huge variable behind them:

The car doesn't really have a competitor....

If I'm shopping for a sub $100k 2+2 luxury performance coupe my choices are:

A)The Mercedes C63 Coupe, which you cannot order anymore and is about to be replaced with the 4cyl hybrid model which will probably look great but sound eh.

B) The Audi RS5, another one that's long in the tooth and due for replacement soon.

C) The M4, ugly(personal opinion) but killer engine/platform and literally the only new one of the bunch.

D) Spend a lot more money, or a bit less and go up or down market.

The M4/3 are alone in their segment right now (Maybe the Giulia QF vs M3, but also older and very italian). The take rate isn't any more indicative of desirability when there isn't anything to compare it to.

It's easy to claim you're the hot young girl in a room full of retirees.
Appreciate 4
DB_Cooper622.50
cbertels1215.50
mathys213.00
      01-13-2023, 03:47 PM   #134
tomjonesBT33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH22 View Post
And a Ferrari looks like a C8.
I agree
2017 X1 xDrive28i - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #135
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

I feel like people are overthinking this. Does anyone here actually believe that the LCI gets a redesigned bumper that will immediately outdate the incoming M3 CS?

It'sa pretty safe bet that the LCI will get the grille inserts that we saw on the camouflaged CS. That's probably the biggest visual change the G80/1/2 will get.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 05:42 PM   #136
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremotorsports View Post
Not gonna speak to the design much since it's subjective, but everyone keeps mentioning the sales while blatantly ignoring a huge variable behind them:

The car doesn't really have a competitor....

If I'm shopping for a sub $100k 2+2 luxury performance coupe my choices are:

A)The Mercedes C63 Coupe, which you cannot order anymore and is about to be replaced with the 4cyl hybrid model which will probably look great but sound eh.

B) The Audi RS5, another one that's long in the tooth and due for replacement soon.

C) The M4, ugly(personal opinion) but killer engine/platform and literally the only new one of the bunch.

D) Spend a lot more money, or a bit less and go up or down market.

The M4/3 are alone in their segment right now (Maybe the Giulia QF vs M3, but also older and very italian). The take rate isn't any more indicative of desirability when there isn't anything to compare it to.

It's easy to claim you're the hot young girl in a room full of retirees.
Doesn’t explain the excellent sales numbers for the non-M 4-Series, which has significant up to date competition.

We have incontrovertible evidence that a significant number of people are willing to buy these cars, grilles and all. Anecdotally, I’ve received nothing but compliments on all the G82/G22 cars I’ve owned (5 total).

You may think it’s ugly, but a lot of people with the means to buy these things brand new disagree with you and have put their money where their mouths are.
Appreciate 1
sk8funk174.50
      01-13-2023, 05:47 PM   #137
M_Tune
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Red Bull RB19

I am new to Bimmerpost and have been following this thread. The various post suggest the grill design of the M3 is polarizing.

My take on the topic is that the new grill design is a good concept that need to be nipped and tucked in a few areas. The grills do give the car an aggressive front fascia but from some angles it does have an odd look.

I have always wanted to own an M3 and this is now my last opportunity to do so before it goes electric, but I have been holding out for an LCI version that may have some refinement to the grill.

I feel that buyers who are not offended by the grill design have already bought the M3/M4, but for future sales BMW may need to accommodate buyers who are not keen on the current concept.

I just want to offer the perspective of someone who is neutral and don’t intend for my comments to be offensive or disrespectful to current M3/M4 owners.

Last edited by M_Tune; 01-13-2023 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2023, 06:24 PM   #138
Spectremotorsports
Consultant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC, '23 X3 M40i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Doesn’t explain the excellent sales numbers for the non-M 4-Series, which has significant up to date competition.
I'm not sure I agree with this. You could take my statement prior and just tier it down with the same result.

Regular 4 series coupe and convertibles have the same competition(or lack thereof) just a tier down.

The current A5/S5 is over 5 years old and isn't as good of a platform.

The C class coupe is a tad smaller and also on it's way out, and doesn't lease as well as the BMW does.

I won't even mention the Infiniti Q60 because it's ancient as well.

I'm not disagreeing that the people buying it clearly like it, it's a great car. I'm simply pointing out the field is heavily tilted in its favor currently(and looks like it will remain so).
Appreciate 1
cbertels1215.50
      01-14-2023, 04:45 AM   #139
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

If the M5 and X3M are any indication, not that people are complaining about the looks of them - quite the opposite on X3M's case and either pre or post LCI M5 looks great, BMW made the change anyway, simply because there is a design language to follow, we will see the consistency across the entire M range.

The G80/82 WILL receive bumper modification. The fact alone that new L shaped headlight (refer to G20 and F90) the G82/22 will get warrants it. It's only a matter of how dramatically BMW will change the bumper design all together. The change is hard to be subtle IF they touch lower part (which is the trend) which forces the grille change. Like it or not, it's very likely happening.
JTO245277.50
mathys213.00
      01-14-2023, 07:47 AM   #140
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The grille is most likely not going to change.

We can expect minor updates to the bumpers and maybe the lights.

I hate to say this but the ICE cars are starting to look dated when compared to EVs. Even the G80 M3 looks old already (I guess things are changing way too fast these days - lots of new cars and new tech, new designs etc. in all brands).
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 11:00 AM   #141
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Has anyone seen this? Not sure if this is a LCI 4er or someone's concept (looks like a real thing to me) but I think there's a possibility M3/M4 LCI will get new front and rear lights.
The LCI is of big interest to me since I delayed my order to one of first MY24 allocations, and if there's LCI in the works which doesn't look good, I can decide which way to go.
Either way, if M3/M4 LCI gets these headlights, I dig it.

Source:
Attached Images

mathys213.00
      01-14-2023, 11:11 AM   #142
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
Has anyone seen this? Not sure if this is a LCI 4er or someone's concept (looks like a real thing to me) but I think there's a possibility M3/M4 LCI will get new front and rear lights.
The LCI is of big interest to me since I delayed my order to one of first MY24 allocations, and if there's LCI in the works which doesn't look good, I can decide which way to go.

Source:
I am pretty sure that's the original G22 4 series concept that came out before the car did...several years ago.

Edit: Source (one of many) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...4-photos-info/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #143
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
I am pretty sure that's the original G22 4 series concept that came out before the car did...several years ago.

Edit: Source (one of many) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...4-photos-info/
Aww thanks. The timestamp of the vid was 3 wks ago, so I thought it came out recently.
      01-14-2023, 01:59 PM   #144
PfizerP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Tune View Post
I am new to Bimmerpost and have been following this thread. The various post suggest the grill design of the M3 is polarizing.

My take on the topic is that the new grill design is a good concept that need to be nipped and tucked in a few areas. The grills do give the car an aggressive front fascia but from some angles it does have an odd look.

I have always wanted to own an M3 and this is now my last opportunity to do so before it goes electric, but I have been holding out for an LCI version that may have some refinement to the grill.

I feel that buyers who are not offended by the grill design have already bought the M3/M4, but for future sales BMW may need to accommodate buyers who are not keen on the current concept.

I just want to offer the perspective of someone who is neutral and don’t intend for my comments to be offensive or disrespectful to current M3/M4 owners.
My sentiments are the same, although I actually like the big grille on the M3/M4. It gives the car character and honestly, it looks better in person; photos can't capture three-dimensionally and it makes the grille look out of proportion. I'm planning on buying a new car come summer 2024 and I'd very much like an M3!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 06:58 PM   #145
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

EV derivative fronts look lame compared to the M3/4
M3/4s don’t go through major design changes mid cycle … only minor.
My bet is no change to grill. Spoiler: They (BMW) aren’t reading the posts of people complaining 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 09:39 AM   #146
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-ALPINA View Post
BMW did an expensive LCI for the F90 M5 with new bumper, hood and headlights, and for the X3 M/X4 M as well. It seems like they will do a major facelift for the X5 M and X6 M as well with new shape for the headlights and bumper. I think they are capable to do this for the first time for the M3/M4, but it is not certain that will happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth517 View Post
BMW has never changed the exterior styling of the M3/4 with an LCI of any generation, so the grills will remain as-is (aside from that, the big grills are now used on many other models). The only thing they ever do is change the headlight and taillights ever so slightly anymore. The standard, non-M3 E46 LCI was pretty substantial in the front end, as was the LCI for the current G20. Those have been exceptions to the rule.
I think the fact BMW have put it out there that there will be an official LCI/facelift for G8x for first time and not just model upgrade measures suggests to me big changes coming. Be it interior, exterior or engine.

As you've said, precedents have already been set with the M2, M5 and the X's and I think major visual changes can't be ruled out.

At a minimum, new front (no more laser and invert the DRLs, like the 3er) and rear lights (swap white glass for red) but that's what the upgrade measures already change.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 10:55 AM   #147
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jxG8Vq8G8g
Do we really believe there’s any chance bmw will update the g80 taillights? Since inception the m3 tail lights are identical to the regular 3 series and being that the g20 was just facelifted with no update to the taillights I’m confident a change can be ruled out.
Appreciate 1
WWM3992.50
      01-15-2023, 11:01 AM   #148
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
The airflow and the radiators were designed for the current grille. No way it gets revised in an LCI.
The middle part (where the license plate is) of the current grille is fake. It’s only open at the top and at the bottom.

That’s why the 3.0CSL (which is a M4) could have grilles at the top and a regular air intake at the bottom.

It’s completely possible to separate the air intake into upper part (kidneys) and lower part (regular air intake) since it’s already separated.

Quote:

Source:
This is the 4 Series Concept that clearly shows how much better the front end can look just by placing the hood line correctly (just above the kidneys) and not in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by emulajavi; 01-15-2023 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
mathys213.00
      01-15-2023, 11:21 AM   #149
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
The middle part (where the license plate is) of the current grille is fake. It’s only open at the top and at the bottom.

That’s why the 3.0CSL (which is a M4) could have grilles at the top and a regular air intake at the bottom.

It’s completely possible to separate the air intake into upper part (kidneys) and lower part (regular air intake) since it’s already separated.

This is the 4 Series Concept that clearly shows how much better the front end can look just by placing the hood line correctly (just above the kidneys) and not in the middle of nowhere.
Just had my bumper off last night actually. There’s a crossmember going across the middle but I wouldn’t call anything fake. That said I agree they could dress a bumper up any way they want to, but I doubt they’ll be changing much.
Attached Images

emulajavi421.50
BigHunk269.50
      01-15-2023, 01:36 PM   #150
Gratefulm4
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CX

Garage List
After reading this thread, I am more excited than ever that I ordered an M4 at this time. I love the styling, and I don’t want any hybrid or electric anything added to my car. I will not “go gentle into that good night!” As a long time lover of driving, I will resist driving an iPhone as long as I can!
Appreciate 3
FISH225413.50
Skyscraper2278.50
Joachim359.50
      01-15-2023, 02:03 PM   #151
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Just had my bumper off last night actually. There’s a crossmember going across the middle but I wouldn’t call anything fake. That said I agree they could dress a bumper up any way they want to, but I doubt they’ll be changing much.
Many of us having been saying this for a while now, that the reason BWM gave is not true. Not talking about subjective design preferences, just the fact that the large vertical grilles were a design choice and not form following function as BMW made it out to be. You can clearly see the middle portion with the bumper cover still on the car has black plastic covering it, but you also don't need to look any further than the 3.0 CSL or the G87, they don't have the same grille design, and both have the S58. It's still nice to see what's underneath the bumper cover for the skeptics out there. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 2
FISH225413.50
emulajavi421.50
      01-15-2023, 03:33 PM   #152
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

It would be nice if they got rid of the gloss black lower trim pieces for the LCI...or at least made it an option.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #153
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly M3 View Post
It would be nice if they got rid of the gloss black lower trim pieces for the LCI...or at least made it an option.
Personally, I think the paint matched lower trim pieces look terrible. I don’t see them changing it, but ok with it being an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #154
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
If they make it look like 3.0 CSL grille I’m happy with the current one lol
Appreciate 0