BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Second generation M2 (G87) scheduled for December 2022 (SOP)

12-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #551
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
That would be a real shame if true. The F87 took the world by storm and gained universal applause from the press and owners alike for its appearance and its performance. To do anything but build on that would be so counterproductive its hard to imagine. If it looks a lot like the g42 Im not gonna be happy.
Well said. Couldn't agree more! Let's hope they took the perfection of the F87 to another level
      12-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #552
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

I was hoping for some more (official) news on the new car by now. Any guesstimates on official reveal? I put my name on a imaginary list at a local dealer …apparently #1 lol. Taking this with a grain of salt however.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #553
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
I was hoping for some more (official) news on the new car by now. Any guesstimates on official reveal? I put my name on a imaginary list at a local dealer …apparently #1 lol. Taking this with a grain of salt however.
Same here. We're now less than a year into production.
      12-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #554
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I expect G87 M2 test mules to lap the Nürburgring again late March - early April.

Maybe we get to see a bit of camo removed during those tests.
Poochie9104.50
CCM11285372.50
BMWGirlFL6292.00
AndyinHou479.00
JustChris17489.00
      12-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #555
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I expect G87 M2 test mules to lap the Nürburgring again late March - early April.

Feels like it's taking forever. I'd put a deposit down only I sense it might look too much like the standard 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:15 PM   #556
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Quote:

Artemis,…you mentioned that you are enjoying the dct…if your ongoing recovery permits- and I hope it does, would you stay dct next car?
Off topic for this thread I know but as a manual guy who has always felt a tug towards a dct, your response is of interest to me…
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 08:12 PM   #557
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Feels like it's taking forever. I'd put a deposit down only I sense it might look too much like the standard 2 series.
The car is still in its gestation period, thus, don't except to see one, in the flesh, until next year around this time period - so you should temper your expectations..

The model is basically a hypothetical, not yet a true reality, so giving some dealer your money now, to put your name on some imaginary list is not going to earn you a first dibs. Unless maybe you have some sort of personal relationship with someone at the top of the dealership foodchain, like a district manager or something and that can rubber-stamp your standing in line for purchase.

Only when the vehicle enters BMW ordering system and an official option matrix is available, is the soonest a franchise dealer has any leverage to offer you a vehicle for sale.

This handshake offer is a baseless contract and they can (and will) renege on the deal, if someone else offers them more money or they simply don't have the clout the get the new and limited available vehicle - multiplying this with the whole chip-shortage.

I'm not even trying to crush you expectation, just sharing some personal experience and others that I learned from, how it plays.

I plan to get a G87 M2, God willing but the dealers here in NYC are sharks, totally shameless, unpolitigetic, scumbags. They would lie to you in your face and even thought you both know they're full of shit, will still having you doubt yourself. I'm not generalizing business but it's typically how it goes over here.. 😏

My plan is to take a trek to some random, rural state in whatever part of BumbleFvck, USA, where there may be a dealer left that plays reasonably fairs. Also, dealers in those parts would have a lower demand for this particular vehicle, one would assume, so they should have an allocation readily available and more willing to let one go at MSRP or less.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      12-29-2021, 01:48 AM   #558
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The car is still in its gestation period, thus, don't except to see one, in the flesh, until next year around this time period - so you should temper your expectations..

The model is basically a hypothetical, not yet a true reality, so giving some dealer your money now, to put your name on some imaginary list is not going to earn you a first dibs. Unless maybe you have some sort of personal relationship with someone at the top of the dealership foodchain, like a district manager or something and that can rubber-stamp your standing in line for purchase.

Only when the vehicle enters BMW ordering system and an official option matrix is available, is the soonest a franchise dealer has any leverage to offer you a vehicle for sale.

This handshake offer is a baseless contract and they can (and will) renege on the deal, if someone else offers them more money or they simply don't have the clout the get the new and limited available vehicle - multiplying this with the whole chip-shortage.

I'm not even trying to crush you expectation, just sharing some personal experience and others that I learned from, how it plays.

I plan to get a G87 M2, God willing but the dealers here in NYC are sharks, totally shameless, unpolitigetic, scumbags. They would lie to you in your face and even thought you both know they're full of shit, will still having you doubt yourself. I'm not generalizing business but it's typically how it goes over here.. 😏

My plan is to take a trek to some random, rural state in whatever part of BumbleFvck, USA, where there may be a dealer left that plays reasonably fairs. Also, dealers in those parts would have a lower demand for this particular vehicle, one would assume, so they should have an allocation readily available and more willing to let one go at MSRP or less.
not sure how good they are to deal with when purchasing but been going to the dealer in South of Albany and its been pretty good, no complaints so far so you could try that. Not bumblefuck but also small compared to NYC dealers and be about a 3 hour drive from the city.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #559
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Well we're a year away from production, which can be around the time we find a "leaked" picture that serves to be 100% accurate. Nothing official of course, but still something to get excited about.

As per the dealer critique, you're right to a degree. I handle my dealers orders and I have my own waiting list for certain cars (M3/M4, M5 CS and etc) and it's first come first serve. I don't stray from that list and its order. I have never had a higher power come in and mess with that...though I could see that happening in a very special case.

Quote:
Artemis,…you mentioned that you are enjoying the dct…if your ongoing recovery permits- and I hope it does, would you stay dct next car?
Off topic for this thread I know but as a manual guy who has always felt a tug towards a dct, your response is of interest to me…
Unfortunately the DCT is gone.
      12-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #560
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I got my OG M2 from a dealer in Alabama that had no inquires other than mine. I live in NC so had it delivered to performance center in SC for pickup. Would highly recommend PC pickup.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #561
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
damn man rip the N55 noises hopefully this allows the OG to keep its value
Appreciate 1
KevinC3100.50
      12-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #562
Straight6Dave
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:

I wouldn’t worry too much about finding an M2 unless you really want a 50th anniversary version. The first model year might be a bit tricky but the M2 isn’t a 911.

There’s going to be better models in the future so don’t go crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 01:16 PM   #563
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bese60 View Post
Any idea when it will come out?
G87 M2:
  • March 2022 - March 2023: production of designs celebrating 50 years of M GmbH for multiple models;
  • Dec 2022: G87 M2 start of production;
  • Spring 2023: first G87 M2 deliveries;
  • March 2025: G87 M2 end of production;
  • April 2025: G87 M2 LCI start of production (Life Cycle Impulse - facelift);
  • March 2029: G87 M2 LCI end of production.
BMWGirlFL6292.00
JustChris17489.00
      12-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #564
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
G87 M2:
  • March 2022 - March 2023: production of designs celebrating 50 years of M GmbH for multiple models;
  • Dec 2022: G87 M2 start of production;
  • Spring 2023: first G87 M2 deliveries;
  • March 2025: G87 M2 end of production;
  • April 2025: G87 M2 LCI start of production (Life Cycle Impulse - facelift);
  • March 2029: G87 M2 LCI end of production.
So the G87 will have a 7 rear run. There's plenty of time to get a deal on one later on if that's the car that you want.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76740.00
///M TOWN16581.00
      12-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #565
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post

So the G87 will have a 7 rear run. There's plenty of time to get a deal on one later on if that's the car that you want.
So following typical sequence CS will be 2028.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:02 AM   #566
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
So following typical sequence CS will be 2028.
Think again. First N55 M2 deliveries: April 16, 2016. Signs exist (but never officially confirmed) that the M2 Competition was initially supposed to be named "M2 CS" (S55 'closed deck' engine instead of N55 'open deck' engine, 410hp instead of 370hp, redesigned front end, bigger brakes, sports seats, new wheels, two new body colors (HS and SO)) and scheduled to go into production in March 2018. A 450hp M2 (possibly dubbed "M2 CSL") would follow at the end of the F87 M2 life cycle. Plans got changed late 2017 / early 2018: N55 M2 would be discontinued from 1 July 2018 onwards because of tightened EU emissions regulations taking force in September 2018. Some new big carbon fibre parts were surprisingly added to the M2 M Performance Parts catalogue in early 2018 such as CF hood, CF trunk, CF hood, CF fenders. The S55 410hp M2 was introduced on April 17, 2018 and available from September 2018 onwards: it got the first ever "Competition" moniker and was offered at a surprisingly attractive price-tag, by necessity (as there was no choice between the entry N55 M2 model and the S55 M2 model: the S55 M2 model was the only M2 available from September 2018 onwards: entry-level BMW M car). Deliveries of the 450hp M2 dubbed "M2 CS" started in March 2020.

See for example here and here.

IMHO these posts of the past are a correct summary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
They were going to always do the S55 but it was supposed to go in the CS only. Emissions messed up their plans and it was easier to just put the S55 in the base M2 so they did and called it the Competition while charging pennies for an upgrade that was supposed to cost tens of thousands. A gift for those who waited, never to happen again I am sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Only BMW knows what their F87 master plan was from conception. . . however, pretty well known their hands were forced when it came to inserting the S55 engine into the M2C. . . the legend was born.
I would SUGGEST BMW's original plan included leaving the N55 in the M2C, then introducing the S55 in the M2CS. That would have made the CS 'special.' As things played out, the Competition stole all the CS thunder and is the truly 'special' offering in the F87 lineup.
I don't expect BMW M to wait till 2028 for releasing a G87 M2 CS: too much cash to earn for BMW with an M2 €$.
(K)1278.00
swampfox941186.50
      01-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #567
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Auto Express says:
Quote:
New 2022 BMW M2: prices, specs and launch date
The new BMW M2 coupe will feature a detuned version of the M3’s 3.0-litre straight-six, but it’ll still have upwards of 400bhp

BMW’s M division is working on a project that’s certain to excite the brand’s traditional fanbase – a replacement for the much-loved M2 coupe. The second-generation model will make its debut later this year, and our exclusive images preview how it could look.

The previous-generation M2 was a key model for BMW’s M division. Back in 2018, the brand labelled the car as its “strongest growth driver”, so the success of this new model is vital, even though the firm’s portfolio has since expanded to include more popular performance vehicles, such as SUVs and even electric cars.

BMW’s next M2 will take advantage of the fresh platform found under the new 2 Series coupe, which was derived from that of the 3 Series. However, there’ll be significant changes over the powertrains and chassis in the standard 2 Series.

Power should come from BMW M’s latest turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six petrol engine, found in the likes of the X3 M and X4 M performance SUVs. Codenamed S58, the unit develops 503bhp in BMW’s flagship Competition trim but, so the M2 doesn’t tread on the toes of its larger (and more expensive) siblings, we expect BMW will limit the coupe’s output.

Like the rest of BMW’s M line-up, the M2 will be offered with two power outputs – there’ll be a standard variant at the entry-level and a more potent Competition option acting as the flagship. The M2 base model will have at least 400bhp, which will provide enough breathing space between the M2 and the new M240i xDrive, which produces 369bhp.

That 400bhp output would also give the M2 enough grunt to compete with the current crop of hyper hatches from Audi and Mercedes. The new Audi RS 3 has a 395bhp turbocharged 2.5-litre five-pot petrol engine, while the Mercedes-AMG A 45 S offers 415bhp.

However, unlike those cars (and indeed the M240i), BMW is expected to keep the M2 rear- wheel-drive only, rather than adopting the rear-biased four-wheel-drive system from the new M3 and M4. Purists will also be glad to hear that a six-speed manual gearbox will also be available alongside the usual eight-speed paddle-shift automatic.

The M2 Competition will have a bit more power still – possibly edging towards the 430bhp mark if BMW mirrors the gap between the standard and Competition versions of the M3 and M4. The brand may even produce a replacement for the track-focused 444bhp M2 CS, which was the most powerful road-going M2 so far.

To control the extra power, BMW will make a few changes to the M240i’s platform. The firm engineers will widen the coupe’s track, add some extra braces to reduce chassis flex, bolt on some larger brakes and fit an M Sport rear differential as standard.

The suspension will be upgraded, too – and the brand’s engineers have two options to pick from here. Choices include the firm’s stroke-dependent mechanical dampers, tuned to match the M2’s stiffer and wider chassis, or M Sport adaptive electromechanical dampers.

New 2022 BMW M2: design and interior
BMW will change the coupe’s styling quite dramatically at the front end. Leaked images show that, rather than adopting the enormous vertical kidney grilles used to separate the M3 from the standard 3 Series, it’ll get a pair of boxy, horizontal replacements.

This square theme will extend to the lower sections of the front apron, with a large rectangular central intake flanked by two square elements at the front corners. Spy shots show that the next M2 will also reincorporate the quad-exit exhaust system of the previous model into a new look rear diffuser.

The M2 won’t just differ from the M240i on the outside, though; the cabin will get a host of improvements, too. Our spy photographers have seen inside the M2, revealing that BMW will equip the coupe with its new curved Display iDrive setup. That means the digital instruments and infotainment screen are joined together in one seamless display.

The rest of the cabin will get BMW’s classic M division touches, such as supportive bucket seats and a new sports steering wheel with two bright red M mode buttons, allowing the driver to quickly switch between two individually configured vehicle setups.

New 2022 BMW M2: prices and competitors
BMW isn’t expected to launch the new M2 until the end of 2022, and the car might not reach UK showrooms until the beginning of 2023, so pricing details are unavailable.

Despite this, prices for the M2 Competition (which is the only model we’ll get here in Britain) are expected to start from around £60,000. That means the coupe will be able to compete with sports coupes such as the Porsche Cayman, as well as the new Audi RS 3 hyper hatch.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/2-...nd-launch-date
Appreciate 1
AngryBaby344.50
      01-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #568
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Auto Express says:
The M2 won’t just differ from the M240i on the outside, though; the cabin will get a host of improvements, too. Our spy photographers have seen inside the M2, revealing that BMW will equip the coupe with its new curved Display iDrive setup. That means the digital instruments and infotainment screen are joined together in one seamless display.
DEAL KILLER

That "one seamless display" is already in the i4 and it's probably safe to assume that this is what it will look like in the G87..

Absolute abomination to my eye, complete with stand-off legs to "mount" it to the dash. Looks like something out of the AliExpress catalog.

I get it that everybody is going to digital instrument clusters; I have one in my Golf R and that one I actually like, because it visually emulates analog instruments for the most part, plus added info. BMW could have at least integrated this monstrosity into the dash in a cleaner way, rather than just literally tacking it on to the original G-series dash design. Perhaps they will do this by the time the G87 arrives, who knows. Whatever it turns out to be, can't wait to see the early m240i adopters to be enraged that their year-old car already has a "dated" instrument panel.
(K)1278.00
IM2C2066.50
      01-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #569
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for the link. I think their estimates of the G87 horsepower is a bit low but we'll find out soon.
I think that boxy front end looks way to much like a Dodge. I also think that the starting price properly configured is going to be higher than the estimates. There is no way a base G87 is going to be anywhere near the $59k price of the M2C. It's a new model, inflation, market adjustments etc. It will probably bump the price into the 67 to $70k range plus a lot of possible options compared to the base loaded up F87 M2C. I have no proof of course, just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #570
Game
------
No_Country
Rep

I have no problem with the curved display. Excited to see it actually.
      01-03-2022, 03:14 PM   #571
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
DEAL KILLER

That "one seamless display" is already in the i4 and it's probably safe to assume that this is what it will look like in the G87..

Absolute abomination to my eye, complete with stand-off legs to "mount" it to the dash. Looks like something out of the AliExpress catalog.

I get it that everybody is going to digital instrument clusters; I have one in my Golf R and that one I actually like, because it visually emulates analog instruments for the most part, plus added info. BMW could have at least integrated this monstrosity into the dash in a cleaner way, rather than just literally tacking it on to the original G-series dash design. Perhaps they will do this by the time the G87 arrives, who knows. Whatever it turns out to be, can't wait to see the early m240i adopters to be enraged that their year-old car already has a "dated" instrument panel.
It looks like a giant rectangular laptop screen bolted to the dashboard. Have they heard of the word integration?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #572
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
DEAL KILLER

It looks like a giant rectangular laptop screen bolted to the dashboard. Have they heard of the word integration?
I think most people like it because big slapped on screens = new high tech. The more it looks like a Tesla, the more your mom thinks it's high tech.

I'm considering test drive of a g8x m right now and if I like it order one immediately in the hopes I don't get the new dash.
Appreciate 0