BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Comp XDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Front view camera

Hey folks, I know I may be nitpicking here but I am struggling to get the front view camera to turn on automatically when putting the car in reverse. For e.g. when reverse is engaged the auto view camera comes on showing the reverse of the car, however when changed to drive to adjust the car position, the view doesn’t automatically change to front but continues to show the back view even though the car is driven forward. Currently, I am overriding this by pressing the P camera button manually each time before reversing so it switches the view back and forth. Is there a way I can activate this without pressing the P button? any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
      09-13-2023, 09:17 PM   #2
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

When you are in parking mode, go back then go forward then press the auto camera (the red icon on the screen). The front camera then turns on. Turn off the engine and lock the car so the auto mode can be saved.

Leave it a few minutes then get in the car and try again to see the function saved.

If not you may need to have it coded.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6827.00
      09-14-2023, 07:50 AM   #3
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
Hey folks, I know I may be nitpicking here but I am struggling to get the front view camera to turn on automatically when putting the car in reverse. For e.g. when reverse is engaged the auto view camera comes on showing the reverse of the car, however when changed to drive to adjust the car position, the view doesn’t automatically change to front but continues to show the back view even though the car is driven forward. Currently, I am overriding this by pressing the P camera button manually each time before reversing so it switches the view back and forth. Is there a way I can activate this without pressing the P button? any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
AFAIK the cameras don't automatically switch when you're already in the camera view in reverse. It should automatically switch to reverse if you go into R after being in D or P and having the cameras on though.

If you're in reverse, it'll always show the backup camera unless you manually select a different one via the buttons on the top-down view.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 08:10 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

That's crummy. My wife's Cayenne will automatically switch F/R when maneuvering. Like as soon as I back out of the garage, turn and put it in drive, it switches to the forward camera.
Appreciate 1
Mamba283.50
      09-17-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
When you are in parking mode, go back then go forward then press the auto camera (the red icon on the screen). The front camera then turns on. Turn off the engine and lock the car so the auto mode can be saved.

Leave it a few minutes then get in the car and try again to see the function saved.

Thanks mate, tried it all but still wouldn’t work. Maybe need to get it coded.
      09-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
AFAIK the cameras don't automatically switch when you're already in the camera view in reverse. It should automatically switch to reverse if you go into R after being in D or P and having the cameras on though.

If you're in reverse, it'll always show the backup camera unless you manually select a different one via the buttons on the top-down view.
Yeah, I was just checking to see if there was a way I can do it without manually pressing the button.
      09-17-2023, 08:47 PM   #7
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
That's crummy. My wife's Cayenne will automatically switch F/R when maneuvering. Like as soon as I back out of the garage, turn and put it in drive, it switches to the forward camera.
Yep, my 2015 Eclass used to do it seamlessly. Not sure if it was intended this way.
      10-02-2023, 05:51 AM   #8
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=MMnut;30486429]When you are in parking mode, go back then go forward then press the auto camera (the red icon on the screen). The front camera then turns on. Turn off the engine and lock the car so the auto mode can be saved.

Thanks heaps mate. I finally got this to work. Appreciate your help.
      10-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=Mamba;30535701]
Quote:

Thanks heaps mate. I finally got this to work. Appreciate your help.
No problem, glad it helped.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:51 AM   #10
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

MMnut "When you are in parking mode, " What exactly do you mean by "parking Mode"? Sorry but I am still learning my recently delivered 2024 M4 Comp.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 05:32 PM   #11
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojg View Post
MMnut "When you are in parking mode, " What exactly do you mean by "parking Mode"? Sorry but I am still learning my recently delivered 2024 M4 Comp.
It means you put the gear in reverse as if you are backing to the parking space so the rear camera comes on, then put the gear back in drive, then the camera should switch to the front view.

In other words, depending on what gear selected, the camera should be switching to that direction.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 05:43 PM   #12
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
I’ve not noticed any weirdness with the camera switching in mine but I’ll have a play when I go out shortly.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13608.50
      10-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #13
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I think this is correct. My X5 has same behavior. Once you reverse and then put in D camera stays in reverse. I have parking assist package on both G05 and G80.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 07:06 AM   #14
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
To view the front immediately press the parking cameras button. It should default to automatic mode, and show whatever direction your selector is pointed.

If you go in reverse then go forward you have to use the touchscreen to change it to front facing.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #15
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTDR1V View Post
To view the front immediately press the parking cameras button. It should default to automatic mode, and show whatever direction your selector is pointed.

If you go in reverse then go forward you have to use the touchscreen to change it to front facing.
NO. It means your camera does not work correctly. It is designed so that to turn on the camera in the direction of the gear automatically without any touch / adjustment unless you want to manually change the view of camera yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 06:52 PM   #16
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
NO. It means your camera does not work correctly. It is designed so that to turn on the camera in the direction of the gear automatically without any touch / adjustment unless you want to manually change the view of camera yourself.
That’s just not true. It’s not that way on both my G80 and G05. That is not how it works. It doesn’t switch.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #17
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The camera does not switch if you go into Drive after being in Reverse. That is normal behavior.
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602271.00
      10-07-2023, 08:09 PM   #18
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Sounds like from a few posters above you need to hit the "auto" button and it will switch? At least that's the way I'm reading their posts.

And the manual...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 08:18 PM   #19
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey folks, like MMnut suggested above you’ll need to once select/press the auto button on your screen when the camera display comes up after putting the car in reverse. This would then automatically switch between front and back views depending on the gear without any manual intervention. It worked for me. See below picture (highlighted number 4) for reference on what I mean by auto button.
Attached Images

10-07-2023, 08:47 PM   #20
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey folks, like MMnut suggested above you’ll need to once select/press the auto button on your screen when the camera display comes up after putting the car in reverse. This would then automatically switch between front and back views depending on the gear without any manual intervention. It worked for me. See below picture (highlighted number 4) for reference on what I mean by auto button.
This is correct, but it will *not* automatically go into "auto" mode each time. The next time you go into Reverse, it reselects the "reverse-only" mode again.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 09:03 PM   #21
Mamba
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This is correct, but it will *not* automatically go into "auto" mode each time. The next time you go into Reverse, it reselects the "reverse-only" mode again.
It will if you switch off the engine and lock your car with auto mode on. It did for me.
      10-07-2023, 09:33 PM   #22
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That would kind of defeat the purpose of “auto”, no?

Quote:
It will if you switch off the engine and lock your car with auto mode on. It did for me.
Strange you should have to jump through this many hoops.
Appreciate 0