BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics M3 (G80) and BMW M4 (G82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Tacoma
Lieutenant
388
Rep
520
Posts

Drives: BMW's for 25+ years
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

No more manual gearbox for Future M3/M4?

Apparently BMWNA said only 7% of buyers are choosing manual.

I recall BMW had already stated that future M5's will be DCT only but I hope future M3/M4 don't follow suit. The availability of a manual box is a key decision factor for me. If BMW eliminates this, the playing field becomes more leveled and the C63 V8 biturbo with that AMG badass sound will be awfully tempting.
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
smedin
Second Lieutenant
smedin's Avatar
66
Rep
291
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Twin Cities, MN

iTrader: (0)

I'll be chasing the manuals until they are no more. Hope BMW keeps them going. If not, then goodbye.
__________________
F80 6MT. In full color.
Appreciate 6
eluded2440.50
prodigymb183.00
kern4173137.00

      01-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10419
Rep
8,814
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Apparently BMWNA said only 7% of buyers are choosing manual.

I recall BMW had already stated that future M5's will be DCT only but I hope future M3/M4 don't follow suit. The availability of a manual box is a key decision factor for me. If BMW eliminates this, the playing field becomes more leveled and the C63 V8 biturbo with that AMG badass sound will be awfully tempting.
Its amazing that it is only 7%. Guess that shows how different M3/M4 forum members are from the general public, because 34% of forum members have selected the 6MT so far.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=279
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
cotmfk822.50

      01-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
SickFinga
Captain
1142
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: *
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Only 7% of people order manual transmission on their F8x in Europe. So I will not be surprised if the next generation M3/M4 will have manual transmission for the US/Canadian market only.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Its amazing that it is only 7%. Guess that shows how different M3/M4 forum members are from the general public, because 34% of forum members have selected the 6MT so far.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=279
7% claim is for the entire range, which includes 7 series, X series which do not even come with manual transmissions.

As for the US/Canadian F8x the manual transmission take is

F80 - 25%
F82 - 17%
F83 - 12%

Last edited by SickFinga; 01-23-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
SakhirM4
Major General
SakhirM4's Avatar
United_States
10419
Rep
8,814
Posts

Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [4.38]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
Only 7% of people order manual transmission on their F8x in Europe. So I will not be surprised if the next generation M3/M4 will have manual transmission for the US/Canadian market only.
Actually, what the article said was that only 7% of BMWs (all models worldwide) are sold with a manual transmission.
__________________
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
amw896566.00

      01-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
SickFinga
Captain
1142
Rep
691
Posts

Drives: *
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Actually, what the article said was that only 7% of BMWs (all models worldwide) are sold with a manual transmission.
I know, I'm saying that the manual transmission take for the European F8x is also at 7%

edit

P.S. The article in OP's post only talks about the US market.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
damnitBobby
Major
743
Rep
1,232
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin View Post
I'll be chasing the manuals until they are no more. Hope BMW keeps them going. If not, then goodbye.
Agreed. The manual is BMW's charm. Without it I wouldn't even be considering the M3/4.
Appreciate 2
Lucky1432.50
amw896566.00

      01-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
Doctor///M's Avatar
1521
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: 2013 E70 X5M
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [4.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedin View Post
I'll be chasing the manuals until they are no more. Hope BMW keeps them going. If not, then goodbye.
Agreed. The manual is BMW's charm. Without it I wouldn't even be considering the M3/4.
Tru dat.
__________________
2013 E70 X5M /l\ Space Grey /i\ Full Silverstone Leather /l\ LED Headlights /i\ Comfort Access /l\ HUD /i\ Ventilated Seats /l\ 22" BBS SV
BMW CCA Member
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
dclowd9901
Captain
dclowd9901's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
616
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW M3
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Its amazing that it is only 7%. Guess that shows how different M3/M4 forum members are from the general public, because 34% of forum members have selected the 6MT so far.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=279
True, but what does it tell you that 2 out of 3 forum scouring enthusiasts won't even buy manuals?

I still have a manual Cooper S. That's all I need for my right arm exercising. The M3's DCT will be more fun at a track.
__________________
ED 11/3/14 2015 M3, AW, SO, DCT, 19" blk wheels, HK, Lighting/Exec/Tech packages, ad. susp.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #10
solstice
Major General
3043
Rep
5,517
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

And BMW manuals have never even been very tactile until now. Just when they are getting good they will stop them, pity but that's where everyone is headed. No manual Ferrari, GT3 or Lambo on sale today for example. The majority of sports car buyers shop on performance and looks not "feel" or engaging driving. Even an M3 is so fast today that the performnce penalty of an MT is significant. Personally I just want a car that feels fast and is fun to drive, that I connect with heart, soul and body. The MT still does that a bit better than the DCT. Always will I guess. An always that might only last another decade. Sob.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #11
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
11276
Rep
15,388
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
And BMW manuals have never even been very tactile until now. Just when they are getting good they will stop them, pity but that's where everyone is headed. No manual Ferrari, GT3 or Lambo on sale today for example. The majority of sports car buyers shop on performance and looks not "feel" or engaging driving. Even an M3 is so fast today that the performnce penalty of an MT is significant. Personally I just want a car that feels fast and is fun to drive, that I connect with heart, soul and body. The MT still does that a bit better than the DCT. Always will I guess. An always that might only last another decade. Sob.
Lol Sol, you and i will end up in kiss soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #12
solstice
Major General
3043
Rep
5,517
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Lol Sol, you and i will end up in kiss soon!
Yikes, I'll rather drive a DCT... ( I hope you spelled right and meant the band Kiss )
I'm in Hawaii now and talked to the girl at the car rental desk in the hotel, asked if they had any MTs. The look at her face was like if I asked if they had a horse and carriage
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
11276
Rep
15,388
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yikes, I'll rather drive a DCT... ( I hope you spelled right and meant the band Kiss )
I'm in Hawaii now and talked to the girl at the car rental desk in the hotel, asked if they had any MTs. The look at her face was like if I asked if they had a horse and carriage
Lol autocorrect worked its magic! Kia, yes.

I know the look, I got if from every rental place I tried last summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
GotEM4
General
28
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: EM4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Sweet Home Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Agreed. The manual is BMW's charm. Without it I wouldn't even be considering the M3/4.
totally agree. what good is a sports car if it's not stick
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:51 PM   #15
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
1081
Rep
2,448
Posts

Drives: 2015 AY M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

It would help if dealers had some in stock to try. Not exactly feasible, but from what I've heard the 6mt in the F8x is a huge improvement over E9x.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:12 AM   #16
sandwi54
Captain
sandwi54's Avatar
304
Rep
903
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib
It would help if dealers had some in stock to try. Not exactly feasible, but from what I've heard the 6mt in the F8x is a huge improvement over E9x.
I've never driven the E9x manual, but my F80 manual is the best manual I've ever driven, apart from the Honda S2000's.
__________________
2017 M3 YMB DCT (my DD)
2018 M550i Mediterranean Blue (wife's DD)
2018 Q7 Prestige (family hauler)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:15 AM   #17
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3673
Rep
6,681
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Wasn't the take rate on the e90/2/3 M3's something like 45 or 50% for manual transmissions?


M cars are different. And for the foreseeable future, the north american M3/4 market will be offered manual transmission, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #18
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3673
Rep
6,681
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Also, not sure why folks are comparing BMW's to Ferrari and Lamborghini.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #19
specracer
Second Lieutenant
89
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 (MG SO 6mt)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston area

iTrader: (0)

If true, this will be my last M3.

"Save the manuals"!
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #20
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3673
Rep
6,681
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
If true, this will be my last M3.

"Save the manuals"!

That sounds good and all ... but what do you replace a german high performance, manual transmission sedan with? What are your alternatives?

Sincerely curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #21
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
7379
Rep
7,751
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 20 GLI, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

I suspect BMW will be one of the last ones to not offer a manual in these types of cars. If they do stop offering them you can be pretty sure that there will very few if any other options from other brands.

I understand that you guys love your manuals, but I don't understand dismissing the current M3/4 if they didn't have one. This car is about so much more than just the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #22
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
3673
Rep
6,681
Posts

Drives: X5 xDrive50i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specracer View Post
If true, this will be my last M3.

"Save the manuals"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I suspect BMW will be one of the last ones to not offer a manual in these types of cars. If they do stop offering them you can be pretty sure that there will very few if any other options from other brands.

I understand that you guys love your manuals, but I don't understand dismissing the current M3/4 if they didn't have one. This car is about so much more than just the gearbox.

Absolutely. I would still buy an M3 with the DCT, no doubt. I was pleasantly surprised on my test drive with the performance of the DCT. But as long as they make manuals, I will be buying them. Just my preference.

I am not buying an M3 solely because it's offered in manual transmission. The manual transmission is just the icing. I can eat cake without icing. I promise.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST