Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
I guess you missed this part of my post? 🤷🏻

"Even had people specifically tell me how they heard about how people have hated the grille but they don't understand the hate because they really like it as well."
I guess you missed this part of my post
" post it under a friends name and say "do you like the front end of this car?"

The general public is rarely going to tell you "you know I don't like the look of your car" or "I don't like the look of the front end of your car". While there are plenty of exceptions, the world tends to be somewhat polite (or possibly you are a big dude and they are afraid to confront you ). Either way, most people are not going to walk up to someone and tell them they dislike their car/color/etc. So have someone (other than you) post a picture up and say "hey, vote, do you like the look of this front end?" And while I would be curious of the results, if YOU like the front end, then at the end of the day, who cares what the public thinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalfred View Post
I dont care what or how much the OP makes or if he is a big shot or not. I see so many people defending the OP like you guys know him personally (maybe you do) but Im going just by his comments. I have no intention to watch his videos or support his website as he does make revenue off views. So if you wanna keep doing that, thats your prerogative.
I don't know Matt - but I've watched his videos for a long time. To me, the way he comes off and presents himself, always make me think "would be cool to be a friend of his". His demeanor, approach, and overall attitude (he readily admits when he makes a mistake - and still posts the video!). You watching one of his videos won't make him rich - and I bet you will learn something - especially if you are in to detailing.
But here's the thing, people also don't go out of their way to come and complement people on the looks of the car they are driving unless they really like it. As I said, I've had more compliments on the car than any other vehicle I've owned, combined. Not that I've owned the most amazing vehicles over the years that would generate comments but I'd still get the "nice car, how do you like it?" at the gas station, etc. on occasions. Hell, I had a guy in a brand new Bronco with the doors removed lean out of it while on the freeway just to get a better look at it and give me a big grin and thumbs up.

On a slightly more related note to this thread, I don't care if Matt likes the grille or not. It's his money and can spend it however he wants to. However, I was just expressing that it is such a strange and foreign concept to me that someone would spend upwards of $100k on a car that they have such a strong distaste for a major part of it. So much so as to say they'd rather have someone wash the front end of it so they don't ever have to see it, and this coming from a guy obsessed with detailing.

I would think that if one had enough distaste for a key design element of a vehicle that they'd vote with their wallet and not support the design of said vehicle.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 2
Vinnrox2503002.00
moonluv8102504.50
      12-02-2022, 11:37 AM   #112
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Why is someone not allowed to have a negative opinion about their own purchase ?.
I dont get these fanboys that cant bare to hear anything negative said about whatever they happen to own, don't be so insecure.
I place much more credibility in the opinion of enthusiasts who are objective enough to understand the fact that there are shortcomings in ALL cars including the one he/she has just purchased.
There are always improvements that can be made due to manufacturer constraints & there is always something better available on offer.
Brand loyalty (any brand) is for suckers.
BTW Nice ride OP.
I don't like it when people assume.

Have you driven a Blackwing? Especially the CT-5 V? Way better than anything in the current BMW stable. Just because I own an M3 doesn't mean I think it's perfect, a point which I've said over the 4,000-odd posts here.

However, I'm also not going to act like owning the M3 is a chore. I especially wouldn't do it to fellow owners and insult their intelligence or sense of pride.

The stick is an afterthought. It's not the prettiest M3. The steering is still lifeless. And it needs an exhaust to sound decent. There, I said things without insulting anyone's choice.
4DRS551254.50
      12-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #113
BMWF90M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Trackhawk

Quote:
However, I was just expressing that it is such a strange and foreign concept to me that someone would spend upwards of $100k on a car that they have such a strong distaste for a major part of it. So much so as to say they'd rather have someone wash the front end of it so they don't ever have to see it, and this coming from a guy obsessed with detailing.

I would think that if one had enough distaste for a key design element of a vehicle that they'd vote with their wallet and not support the design of said vehicle.
Have you every bought something for cheap maybe $100 and thought I'll give it a shot, $100 isnt going to break the bank, if I like it great if I dont oh well not going to kill me. This $100k isnt blowing any budget for him, PLUS hes using it at his rental property that he rents out for $5k+ per week, that includes usage of the vehicle. He will barely even drive the car, its almost 100% for business usage.
Appreciate 2
doug_9992542.50
      12-02-2022, 01:14 PM   #114
downshiftapex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Not fast enough

Remember on Top Gear when certain manufacturers were afraid to send their cars over to Jeremy Clarkson + crew because of how blunt and honest they were. Or when they did there were certain contingencies (i.e., LaFerrari, P1, and 918 episode).

Everyone has different personalities and conducts themselves how they choose to see fit. Some people may come off abrasive when they are not or some people make come off as genuine when they are not. All I am saying is that its very rare these days to see someone give an objective review of a car that isn't totally "OMG this car is amazing and theres nothing wrong with it." Take a look at almost every Youtuber, not a single one will outright trash a car or speak ill of the vehicle for fear of loss in future deals.

I love the G80 M3, so much so that within 8 months of owning my F82 M4 I knew I had to get one. Do I think it's the most beautiful M ever created? No. But for me the performance, technology, and the fact I can now daily it with X-Drive makes it the best package for ME in the under $90k range.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 03:06 PM   #115
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
Quote:
However, I was just expressing that it is such a strange and foreign concept to me that someone would spend upwards of $100k on a car that they have such a strong distaste for a major part of it. So much so as to say they'd rather have someone wash the front end of it so they don't ever have to see it, and this coming from a guy obsessed with detailing.

Have you every bought something for cheap maybe $100 and thought I'll give it a shot, $100 isnt going to break the bank, if I like it great if I dont oh well not going to kill me. This $100k isnt blowing any budget for him, PLUS hes using it at his rental property that he rents out for $5k+ per week, that includes usage of the vehicle. He will barely even drive the car, its almost 100% for business usage.
I've said this already but I guess I'll say it again. If he hates the front end as much as he seems to let on he shouldn't have bought it. He's only enforcing the fact that it is a success to BMW by adding another sale to the spreadsheets. They aren't watching his YouTube channel to hear that he hates the grille but might love the rest of it. They also don't care how he's going to use it. All they care about is the fact of how many units they sold at the end of the day/week/month/quarter/year. He could take it and run it off a cliff tomorrow and BMW still got the sale.

All I'm saying is that if people don't like the grille that much, and wish BMW would revert it or design something dramatically different for the next generation, then don't buy the car. Low sales numbers is the only thing that would change BMWs mind.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 4
x5DZL109.50
LuckyBrand1321.50
BrikM36.00
      12-02-2022, 03:48 PM   #116
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achievement Tracker View Post
Quote:

I believe he said in one of the latest videos, the G80 adds $1,000 a week to the property. Nobody is "renting" the house. They're borrowing it for money.

A rental property inclines you can rent it out and whatever happens at the end of the week, barring you breaking anything, that's the end of it.

Borrowing for money, implies that once you're done "borrowing it" you're leaving/ returning it in its original condition, by taking care of it while you're in possession. If your 10 year old punts a kickball through the $4,000 TV. You go buy a new one.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:13 PM   #117
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Obsessed garage, Matt has a new M3 . An interesting take , a pretty color!

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:36 PM   #118
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Didn't he hate the g80?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:43 PM   #119
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Your title needs to change sir after watching his video to:

Obsessed garage, Matt has a new 3 series . An interesting take , a pretty color!

Why would you delete the M3 badge???

Last edited by 4DRS55; 12-03-2022 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 04:24 AM   #120
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
I've said this already but I guess I'll say it again. If he hates the front end as much as he seems to let on he shouldn't have bought it. He's only enforcing the fact that it is a success to BMW by adding another sale to the spreadsheets. They aren't watching his YouTube channel to hear that he hates the grille but might love the rest of it. They also don't care how he's going to use it. All they care about is the fact of how many units they sold at the end of the day/week/month/quarter/year. He could take it and run it off a cliff tomorrow and BMW still got the sale.

All I'm saying is that if people don't like the grille that much, and wish BMW would revert it or design something dramatically different for the next generation, then don't buy the car. Low sales numbers is the only thing that would change BMWs mind.
If we're looking at it from this point of view and you're saying BMW doesn't specifically care for him and his channel either which way, why do you at the same time think him adding one more sale to that spreadsheet carries such a heavy weight?

I would argue him buying it for the purposes he has and giving his opinion actually has a bigger potential to bring attention to what he personally would like to see improved (whether it actually needs improving in anyone else's opinion aside). If he hadn't done this nobody would go "oh, another day without a G80 on this channel, he sure must not like it". (Of course him having done it may also not change anything in the slightest, and it doesn't necessarily have to either.)

I agree if a lot of people vote with their wallets it adds up, but I think we've also established this is rather the odd case out of someone buying such a car without fully committing to it. It's more of a business purchase in this case (while still being personal on the side due to his love of Ms). I believe if a big rental company added 100 G80s to their rental fleet that still wouldn't majorly shift the perceived success in either direction, much less this single purchase here.

No doubt the front has been over-memed, especially in the early days, but at the end of the day this is just another opinion about a part of the package not unlike to what others have voiced about different things like not having rear-armrests, rear heated seats or whatever else they personally would like to see change.

None of those opinions have to take away anything from someone absolutely loving this car. If anything it can even add to it, how otherwise it's such a great platform that he and/or others still signed up for one despite certain personal concerns. And if those things happen to personally don't concern someone, or maybe they are even straight positives, we've just got an even bigger winner.
Appreciate 2
doug_9992542.50
      12-03-2022, 08:37 AM   #121
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Nothing stopping you leaving an F80 at the house for your customers if you want the M3 experience

I don't buy this BS.

If you really felt this way about the front end, there is no way you'd buy it. There is a bunch of other options

The Hater is actually a closet beaver grill lover
Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019155.00
LuckyBrand1321.50
BrikM36.00
      12-03-2022, 09:38 AM   #122
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
On a slightly more related note to this thread, I don't care if Matt likes the grille or not. It's his money and can spend it however he wants to. However, I was just expressing that it is such a strange and foreign concept to me that someone would spend upwards of $100k on a car that they have such a strong distaste for a major part of it. So much so as to say they'd rather have someone wash the front end of it so they don't ever have to see it, and this coming from a guy obsessed with detailing.

This isn't new with Matt, he has been a member here for some time. He had a F80 M3 and to this day still rants about how much he hates the exhaust. No matter what exhaust setup, he hated it. He knew that going in and still bought the car. F8x forum didn't get their panties in bunch when he stated his opinion back in the day.
Appreciate 2
seis-speed2430.50
themnmd1691.00
      12-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #123
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Taking Delivery of my 50 Jahre Techno Violet G80 M3 https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1971143

Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      12-03-2022, 10:25 AM   #124
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
But here's the thing, people also don't go out of their way to come and complement people on the looks of the car they are driving unless they really like it. As I said, I've had more compliments on the car than any other vehicle I've owned, combined. Not that I've owned the most amazing vehicles over the years that would generate comments but I'd still get the "nice car, how do you like it?" at the gas station, etc. on occasions. Hell, I had a guy in a brand new Bronco with the doors removed lean out of it while on the freeway just to get a better look at it and give me a big grin and thumbs up.
I suspect you are having some belief bias in your statements
https://effectiviology.com/belief-bias/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #125
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

This is just classic Matt. If you ever watch his videos he sounds like he hates life even while he’s doing something he loves That being said I thoroughly enjoy his content.
Appreciate 2
playswcars3633.50
themnmd1691.00
      12-03-2022, 12:45 PM   #126
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
This is just classic Matt. If you ever watch his videos he sounds like he hates life even while he’s doing something he loves That being said I thoroughly enjoy his content.
Ha, ha... That's just my face. It just looks angry, but inside I'm beaming.
Appreciate 3
themnmd1691.00
Limegrntaln13475.00
      12-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #127
strada
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 6MT - Tanzanite/SS

Quote:

This is some aggressive application of your own rationale/basis for purchase to someone else. I was in his exact situation, opportunity to by a Jahre in Technoviolet, loaded up nearly identically. Loved the color, the back looks great, seats are money. But, aside from ADM which I have no desire to pay because I'm not a yutz, it was literally the front end kept ME from buying the car. I just can't spend >100k on a car that I don't love the looks of 100%. I cannot make the excuse to MYSELF that it's 'not that bad'. I couldn't give crap less what other owners or the public think. Perhaps Matt could get over it as that price isn't as significant to him, or the rest of the package overrides the aesthetics. Point is it doesn't matter, he bought it, he can hate whatever he wants about it. To your point, he did vote with his wallet and so did I. I guess with this market we'll never know how this car would have done in more normal times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
And that's totally accepted, your entitled to do/buy whatever you want and have no emotion attached to the purchase.
I guess it comes down to the fact your posting in an enthusiasts forum, one that is mostly in love with the car and the front end. To us, it's an emotional purchase and to some a lifelong achievement to own these cars. Personally I'm done with the negative front end comments from people, but you'll find that they haven't purchased one and that puts you in a unique situation here.
Not sure what outcome you'd expect making comments that are to be frank insulting to all of us who love their cars.
Next time leave the negative crap to the side. We're all different, no need to remind us that you don't like it.
Exactly the attitude that made me block OG channel after years of following it.
My goodness, how insecure are you? Did you pen the design of this car? Do you attach how a car looks to your self worth? Do you need validation from others that your car isn't ugly? Some cars are near universally loved from a design standpoint, this one isn't and wont ever be. This and every new car BMW has released in the past year have been horrendously polarizing and it's not exactly a secret. If you part with your hard earned money for this generation of stuff, presumably you don't agree or don't care, but try not to be so emotional about it from the opinion of the internet/strangers...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #128
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

This is great!!
BMW fanboys vs Obsessed Garage fanboys.
Appreciate 7
Limegrntaln13475.00
TargaM22491.00
FISH225404.50
Nado230.00
      12-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #129
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Absolutely love the fact you are honest in how ugly that front bumper is, but still appreciate how it handles/drives. I can appreciate that.
This. Mine arrives at port tomorrow and I've just totally embraced it. I won't go so far as to not walk around the front, as I'm not that repulsed, but Money2536 is entitled to his opinion and also entitled to buy something he thinks is ugly.

I'll get a thread going for when I take delivery with possibly some photos of the MPHAS port install as the BMWNA rep said he'd try get me some.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #130
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM5PAV View Post
Weird flex, but nice looking car!
It would be interesting to me if you would point out what in the words I used in the paragraphs above that are bragging or showing off. I bought a car, took some photos, made a few videos, and made a post to share my experience.

In my world, an experience is very different than an opinion. I own the car, so my experience may have value to others. I built a life a business around this concept.
Appreciate 4
      12-03-2022, 11:03 PM   #131
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Didn't he hate the g80?
I don't think he hated it at all. He is a perfectionist when it comes to the paint job. Very few cars have near perfect paint
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #132
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
Ha, ha... That's just my face. It just looks angry, but inside I'm beaming.
Matt I follow your channel on YouTube along with a few other detailing ones. I understand where you are coming from
Appreciate 1
Money25361586.00