BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-19-2024, 01:45 PM   #1
farag14
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

Michelin Pilot 4s or Michelin Pilot 4s*

Hey Fellas,

Looking to swap out the Pirellis that I have on my G80 x Drive, and not sure whats the best choice for me.

Typical driving is around town highway, maybe plans to go to track on day or another but nothing in thats a constant. Based in Jersey and dont drive it daily just when the weather permits.

What tires would you guys recommend me purchasing the 4s or the 4s*?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:57 PM   #2
dimab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

I was told 4s* is somehow the tested tire for M3/M4. It was not clear enough to me how they are ultimately different.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:05 PM   #3
PipeM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: IS 500, 2024 M3 comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by farag14 View Post
Hey Fellas,

Looking to swap out the Pirellis that I have on my G80 x Drive, and not sure whats the best choice for me.

Typical driving is around town highway, maybe plans to go to track on day or another but nothing in thats a constant. Based in Jersey and dont drive it daily just when the weather permits.

* 💯 *
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 02:06 PM   #4
Sp2pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX

This info may help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
You're only looking at going 10mm wider. You're almost wasting your time, going to a non BMW Star tire, because you're losing the performance associated with the stock BMW tires. The BMW tires, are not off the shelf PS4S, its actually a 1/2 PS4S and half Sport Cup 2.

Its worth watching this video.
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=14
Appreciate 4
      03-19-2024, 03:08 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

I know you may not believe this, but if you’re looking for excellent summer tires that are less expensive than the Michelins and in my opinion, just as good if not better since the sidewall isn’t marshmallow soft like the PSs and also doesn’t chunk when driven aggressively, consider the Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They have them in sizes to fit the M3/4 and are excellent in both dry and wet conditions. You also won’t blow the sidewall if you hit a pothole like you probably will with any Pilot Sports. I’ve run these on my S4 and will on the M4 too. With xdrive it’s almost a no brainer since traction won’t be an issue. Depending on how you drive you’ll probably also get a little more life out of them too. For the treadware they have, they are pretty sticky. Also very quiet no matter the wear on them and almost just as sticky when down well into the wear bars as when new. It’s all I ran on the S4 for over 150k miles and dip well into the 3 digits without issues. They’re really good. Oh yeah, and they won’t have that stupid ass stanceboy sidewall stretch the Michelins do with the lip protector that doesn’t protect shit since it’s just as soft as the sidewall.

Also, $1,201.96 for these from TireRack as opposed to $1,715.96 for the OE Michelins. $500 in your pocket to try them and become a possible convert?… only you can decide.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 03-19-2024 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-19-2024, 04:24 PM   #6
RichardGM4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 CS

I swapped out the Pirelli P Zero Corsas that came on my CS last week with PS4S and of course went with the OE * version of the tyre
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:49 PM   #7
Silverx88x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

The one with the star is specifically made for BMW, I was told. I have no clue how its different though.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 04:51 PM   #8
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
I know you may not believe this, but if you’re looking for excellent summer tires that are less expensive than the Michelins and in my opinion, just as good if not better since the sidewall isn’t marshmallow soft like the PSs and also doesn’t chunk when driven aggressively, consider the Firehawk Indy 500 tires. They have them in sizes to fit the M3/4 and are excellent in both dry and wet conditions. You also won’t blow the sidewall if you hit a pothole like you probably will with any Pilot Sports. I’ve run these on my S4 and will on the M4 too. With xdrive it’s almost a no brainer since traction won’t be an issue. Depending on how you drive you’ll probably also get a little more life out of them too. For the treadware they have, they are pretty sticky. Also very quiet no matter the wear on them and almost just as sticky when down well into the wear bars as when new. It’s all I ran on the S4 for over 150k miles and dip well into the 3 digits without issues. They’re really good. Oh yeah, and they won’t have that stupid ass stanceboy sidewall stretch the Michelins do with the lip protector that doesn’t protect shit since it’s just as soft as the sidewall.

Also, $1,201.96 for these from TireRack as opposed to $1,715.96 for the OE Michelins. $500 in your pocket to try them and become a possible convert?… only you can decide.
You have stirred up a hornets nest...(but you're 100% correct)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 05:47 PM   #9
DanoG80Cx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M3Cx  [10.00]
Quote:

I agree! I ran them on my RS and thought they were great, especially for the money saved. The RS also came with Michelins from the factory and I noticed no difference after swapping to the Indy 500 in the rain or spirited drives through the GA mountains.

I don’t need tires on the M3 yet, but when I do, I’ll probably go with them again. Sales and rebates may change things. For now they are on a short list.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:09 PM   #10
frenchie201
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

Quote:

Thank you!! Really appreciate the input something to think about!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:43 PM   #11
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Glad to hear others share my view on them. I was surprised too, but they are too good for what you get. Michelin smichelin… 😆
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602215.50
      03-19-2024, 07:49 PM   #12
Mapper
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverx88x View Post
The one with the star is specifically made for BMW, I was told. I have no clue how its different though.
Star is made of multiple compounds in particular spots in the tread .. tweaked in conjunction with bmw. This is explained in the video posted above. Perhaps you should watch it.
Appreciate 2
fl1by683.50
Limegrntaln13469.00
      03-19-2024, 08:10 PM   #13
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yea I have no doubt there are other good tires. That’s good to know.
On this forum people get very crazy with tires claiming things like P zero will blow up below 45 degrees and has zero traction it’s just one of many examples. People here believe they are driving F1 car and need the very peak performance out of tire while they driving to work on the freeway. Meanwhile 25% of people around have pretty much bald tires and 2 wheel drive system.
I usually get Michelins from Costco and they carry M3 size. They always have good deal and warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:49 PM   #14
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farag14 View Post
Hey Fellas,

I’ve had the same issue, one of them came with Perelli‘s and one of them came with Michelin’s so the ones that come with Michelin’s would probably be the best idea because they’re more comfortable
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00