BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-19-2024, 07:13 AM   #23
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

One point to consider:

The "comfort" seats in the G8x are not the same seats as the "sport" seats in the current run of M-lites. I didn't realize how different they were until I had a loaner M240i while my car was in for its yearly service this month. They look similar but the M-lite sport seats are vastly inferior in both comfort and how they hold on to you vs the comfie M seats.

If you have a dealership in your area that has new or used G8x's sitting around, it would be a very good idea to go sit in them and play with the adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:26 AM   #24
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1daz View Post
Hello,

I am 6'2 ~180lbs. Should I get carbon bucket seats? I've searched through a few posts and I've gotten mixed reviews/reviews that don't align with my weight or height. The only BMW dealership within 100 miles of me doesn't have carbon bucket seats in the M3/M4... I had to test drive an M4 because they haven't had an M3 in a year.

So in your opinion would you recommend me for someone my size? or no? I'm not fat, pretty young, and don't have back problems.
I am your exact weight and height. Buckets are fine if you're not daily driving, but I never recommend them unless you are taking the car to a track regularly.

They are easier to get in and out of in an M4 vs. an M3 by virtue of the coupe's longer doors. Coupled with being 6'2, you know that your seat will be set further back, making it more difficult to get out of the car in the M3.

I've received a lot of criticism for commenting that the buckets are not as good for resale value... but let my opinion (and observations) stand in saying that you will not get the money back if you opt for them. This is an enthusiast forum, so you will get more pro-bucketeers on here than in reality.

In short, I'm a hard no on buckets, but I do think they look incredible, and they are comfy once you're in them (unless you like to adjust your leg positions, or unless you find that the central bolster is in your way if you are driving with a clutch).

I say spend the money on other options and go with the sport seats. Your passengers will thank you as well.
      03-19-2024, 09:02 AM   #25
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
I am your exact weight and height. Buckets are fine if you're not daily driving, but I never recommend them unless you are taking the car to a track regularly.

They are easier to get in and out of in an M4 vs. an M3 by virtue of the coupe's longer doors. Coupled with being 6'2, you know that your seat will be set further back, making it more difficult to get out of the car in the M3.

I've received a lot of criticism for commenting that the buckets are not as good for resale value... but let my opinion (and observations) stand in saying that you will not get the money back if you opt for them. This is an enthusiast forum, so you will get more pro-bucketeers on here than in reality.

In short, I'm a hard no on buckets, but I do think they look incredible, and they are comfy once you're in them (unless you like to adjust your leg positions, or unless you find that the central bolster is in your way if you are driving with a clutch).

I say spend the money on other options and go with the sport seats. Your passengers will thank you as well.
Ya, the above generally comes from folks who don’t have the buckets…

The buckets are fine for a DD. Just who tracks this car regularly (yes, there are a few of those owners out there)? If someone wants to track the car regularly, there are better aftermarket seat options.

Door length doesn’t matter. I’m 5’ 11” and roll back the seat a few inches for entry and exiting. Sure, there is limit here and specific torso and leg lengths could make a difference.

Resale? Really? Why would we expect to ‘the money back’ on an expensive option at resale? I will bet that the buckets will be highly sought after as the g8x ages - this will be after most current owners sell their cars.

Manual and buckets is fine. To say otherwise is just silly.

I say the average BMW M driver sure has changed in the past 36 years…
Appreciate 4
BimmerFix1390.50
2011ninja3396.00
      03-19-2024, 09:03 AM   #26
nunzo
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Rep
Drives: germans

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f30dreamin View Post
For the people commenting they have them, any of you have a stick shift, or are you all driving auto’s? Saw reviews that with carbon buckets and manual transmission, is not a comfortable driving position. 6’2” 240lbs
Car will be daily driven.

Also 6-2, been as heavy as 230 and currently 205 and drive a manual with buckets. I tend to sit more upright with the seat base tilted flat/down and have no issue with the clutch. It feels great.

I will say, 205 its definitely more comfortable than 230 in them with my build.
1994 318i - alpine white / Super Touring Project
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:13 AM   #27
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
One point to consider:

The "comfort" seats in the G8x are not the same seats as the "sport" seats in the current run of M-lites. I didn't realize how different they were until I had a loaner M240i while my car was in for its yearly service this month. They look similar but the M-lite sport seats are vastly inferior in both comfort and how they hold on to you vs the comfie M seats.

If you have a dealership in your area that has new or used G8x's sitting around, it would be a very good idea to go sit in them and play with the adjustments.
Agree. Try them and play with the adjustments.

When driving our e92 down the Oregon coast last year, my son and I came across this g80. We met the owner and I tried out the buckets. First impression was no way as the lateral supports were way too narrow. Then my son told me that they were power adjustable. Adjusted them and they were perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-19-2024, 09:22 AM   #28
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
One point to consider:

I'm not sure why people refer to standard M3/M4 seats as "comfort seats". They are M Sport seats as per BMW's nomenclature. That is not to say that these seats are uncomfortable but they are not the plushy, soft seats you would find in a typical luxury car. These are sill proper sports seats with firm padding and decent bolstering.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:10 AM   #29
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Ya, the above generally comes from folks who don’t have the buckets…

The buckets are fine for a DD. Just who tracks this car regularly (yes, there are a few of those owners out there)? If someone wants to track the car regularly, there are better aftermarket seat options.

Door length doesn’t matter. I’m 5’ 11” and roll back the seat a few inches for entry and exiting. Sure, there is limit here and specific torso and leg lengths could make a difference.

Resale? Really? Why would we expect to ‘the money back’ on an expensive option at resale? I will bet that the buckets will be highly sought after as the g8x ages - this will be after most current owners sell their cars.

Manual and buckets is fine. To say otherwise is just silly.

I say the average BMW M driver sure has changed in the past 36 years…
The response I expected, but not exactly a mature one. My M3 is loaded aside from CCB and buckets; the savings on the buckets was not my priority, it was for comfort and ease-of-use of the car I drive most often. Don't make it sound like I'm jealous of you.

You're not wrong that the buckets will be sought-after, but not in the short term.

Silly to say that the door length doesn't matter. It does. It's harder to get in and out of a Panamera vs. a 911 for this exact reason.
Rolling the seat back and forth every time you get out is hilarious. Why? Because, yes, it is more difficult without making that adjustment.

Not sure about your comment re the last 36 years. Been driving M's since the E46 M3. If I were still a kid I'd love to have the buckets.

As for resale value, the options do matter.

The OP asked for our opinions, and I gave mine with the caveat that I would get some flack for it but I didn't expect the level of immaturity after having noted my expectation in the first place. I should lower my expectations for the new average M driver I guess.

P.S. I've had carbon buckets in 2 Porsches. They are easier to get in and out of than the M3.
      03-19-2024, 11:45 AM   #30
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
I'm not sure why people refer to standard M3/M4 seats as "comfort seats". They are M Sport seats as per BMW's nomenclature. That is not to say that these seats are uncomfortable but they are not the plushy, soft seats you would find in a typical luxury car. These are sill proper sports seats with firm padding and decent bolstering.
Yep. The seats in my SO's 530e are the true BMW comfie seats. I'd seen several folk equating the standard G8x seats with the M-lite seats on various threads.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 07:54 PM   #31
BryanCO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The response I expected, but not exactly a mature one. My M3 is loaded aside from CCB and buckets; the savings on the buckets was not my priority, it was for comfort and ease-of-use of the car I drive most often. Don't make it sound like I'm jealous of you.

You're not wrong that the buckets will be sought-after, but not in the short term.

Silly to say that the door length doesn't matter. It does. It's harder to get in and out of a Panamera vs. a 911 for this exact reason.
Rolling the seat back and forth every time you get out is hilarious. Why? Because, yes, it is more difficult without making that adjustment.

Not sure about your comment re the last 36 years. Been driving M's since the E46 M3. If I were still a kid I'd love to have the buckets.

As for resale value, the options do matter.

The OP asked for our opinions, and I gave mine with the caveat that I would get some flack for it but I didn't expect the level of immaturity after having noted my expectation in the first place. I should lower my expectations for the new average M driver I guess.

P.S. I've had carbon buckets in 2 Porsches. They are easier to get in and out of than the M3.
Err, what?

I’m 57. I guess that makes me an immature kid. Oh, and I’ve had the current version of the Porsche buckets and think they are significantly more compromised for a daily driver due to ingress and egress (the seat is lower in every version of the Porsche), they are narrower and the lack of adjustment.

As always, buy what you like and what works for you.

But if you haven’t lived with the buckets for a while, your opinion is mostly a guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:19 PM   #32
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:

I find them very easy to get in and out of - and I daily the car half the time. Absolute non-issue for me, and I’m in an M3. I put my leg on top of the bolster and stand up.

The first advantage in the buckets is being more in-tune with the chassis, since the handling is numb I have the feel of the car through my seat. I’ve had both seats in the M3, first the comp x with the sport seats and now the manual with buckets. This is a much more communicative situation for me. The manual six speed also helps to increase the feel of mechanics- something to make the car seem more alive in your hands. It’s so numb overall that the buckets do help.

Second, for how powerful and on rails this car is having the buckets is hugely helpful in keeping me planted in the seat during hard cornering. I can fly left or right, and I’m not moving around at all. The benefit is really the bottom bolsters, as in the M sport seats you can have those side bolsters on the backrest adjusted to hold your back in place. But you have to fight to keep your bottom from sliding around. For example hit 1.19G the other day on a very windy bit of very good asphalt, tires were nice and hot, and the road was banked a bit. Just awesome to experience that in the buckets.

Third, they look phenomenal. And my wife and kids love the seats. So there’s that.

Fourth - ventilation. Super helpful to have those slats in the back. It’s too bad the m sport seats don’t offer that. Ventilation in the M sport seats is pretty weak.

I don’t track my car, but I do plenty of mountain/canyon driving and some days spend 7 hours in the car. It’s not fatiguing. I have back problems and find the seats to help in some ways like reducing lateral strain. I do have a little bit of aching in my neck/cervical spine from the top back of the seat being a bit firm. But this isn’t an issue unless I’ve been driving for a few hours.

Resale is irrelevant. I would say original MSRP may help, like a $100k loaded manual v $78k manual is quite a difference.
Appreciate 3
      03-19-2024, 09:13 PM   #33
Xtremsiege2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 Tacoma, e46 M3

I would go buckets, being new to the g80 hunt i drove one Sunday for a while with FR buckets and they fit perfect. I would think up to about 215lbs would be a safe fitment. But if hauling people daily or driving your parents around is a common occurrence sport seats FTW..

I'm 6'1" with a pretty muscular build currently around 195.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:19 PM   #34
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Personally I don’t like buckets with a manual. If auto, and size permitting, I’d do the buckets.
      03-19-2024, 09:22 PM   #35
Higgy_CSL
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 M4 CSL/ 23 M2 / 24 X5 M60

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [9.33]
2023 BMW M2  [10.00]
2024 BMW X5 M60  [10.00]
YES!! I did not read the rest of the comments but as someone that has them in my CSL and my daily M2 I do not regret them at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:01 PM   #36
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Buckets or no car at all. Cost of admission is low compared to aftermarket, and if you don't like the seats, I don't think you'd have much trouble swapping for standard seats with somebody and them pitching in $8-10k on top. It's a no brainer to get them.
Appreciate 1
jamabdi185.50
      03-19-2024, 10:03 PM   #37
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
I’m pretty comfortable in the regular seats, however, I don’t know what the carbon buckets feel like in my opinion they would add more sporty feel if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 07:15 AM   #38
gunmike1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp Xdrive

I’m 5’9”, 190 pounds, muscular and very lean with a 31” waist. I also have a bad back, having had surgery 15 years ago. Once I got in the buckets they were mostly fine for me, at least for short stints in the showroom and for a few laps at a time on track. Getting in and out of them wasn’t fun. While my waist fit great, no matter how wide I adjusted the bolsters my lats always felt pushed forward making me round my shoulders forward. I could see the thigh bolsters getting uncomfortable for me on longer drives, as well, as I like to let my hips open up on longer drives, but my things are pretty thick and don’t have room to move around in the buckets. So all the things I loved about them on track just wouldn’t work well for me. If I was younger, pre back surgery, and didn’t have a wife that would hate the buckets then I might have gone for them. In my situation though the M Sport searts were the proper choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:58 AM   #39
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

This is the most muscular forum in history
Appreciate 8
Needsdecaf6599.00
Mike02z1977.50
CMW33310.50
nunzo760.50
BimmerFix1390.50
mjj163.00
yousefnjr6157.50
FITM3NT542.00
      03-20-2024, 09:29 AM   #40
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
This is the most muscular forum in history
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 09:46 AM   #41
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Confirmation bias abound, people who like them will find reasons to justify them liking it while people who don't will find reasons to justify why they don't.

There's no point in asking for opinions on something so subjective. I'm sure a dealer around you has or will have one in the next X months with and without buckets for you to try.
Appreciate 1
KevinGS3359.00
      03-20-2024, 03:04 PM   #42
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Confirmation bias abound, people who like them will find reasons to justify them liking it while people who don't will find reasons to justify why they don't.

There's no point in asking for opinions on something so subjective. I'm sure a dealer around you has or will have one in the next X months with and without buckets for you to try.
Spot on. Unless you’ve had both and point out the pros and cons in a measured manner. I’ve had both and listened to multiple threads on the issue, here’s a quick objective summary:

Dislikes of CB:
#1 do not fit in them
#2 ingress/egress is challenging
#3 back or leg pain
#4 cost
#5 prefer aftermarket options
#6 like the ventilation of sport seats
——
Prefer CB:
#1 way they hold you in
#2 look/feel
#3 lower seating positon
#4 air ventilation
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:13 PM   #43
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Spot on. Unless you’ve had both and point out the pros and cons in a measured manner. I’ve had both and listened to multiple threads on the issue, here’s a quick objective summary:

Dislikes of CB:
#1 do not fit in them
#2 ingress/egress is challenging
#3 back or leg pain
#4 cost
#5 prefer aftermarket options
#6 like the ventilation of sport seats
——
Prefer CB:
#1 way they hold you in
#2 look/feel
#3 lower seating positon
#4 air ventilation
You forgot CB are friggen cool (I’ve had both so I can verify).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 03:42 PM   #44
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdr955 View Post
You forgot CB are friggen cool (I’ve had both so I can verify).
No, that would be #2 on his list.
Appreciate 1