BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-13-2024, 09:39 PM   #45
M4ROLLIN20
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 COMPETITION

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
iDrive 8.5
Can I update that automatically or at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 09:50 PM   #46
Galandel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive

Nope. Love my G80 M3cx. Wouldn't trade it for any other two cars on the planet regardless of what they are. It is exactly what I want.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
CMW33310.50
      03-13-2024, 09:58 PM   #47
specced
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, E36 M3

It's a really refined car for lack of better words, the steering feel isn't sensational either, the tech and performance is there though, it's a very capable car, even if it doesn't feel sporty. I think most new cars are trending towards this though, the overall package sold me.
Appreciate 2
forcefed2562.50
IDKBRO678.50
      03-13-2024, 10:42 PM   #48
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Hi Guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone else felt like the M3’s are not as sporty as you expected after your purchase. I had a 23’ and 24’ (manuals RWD and always in SP+) and ended up selling both. Don’t get me wrong, excellent cars (first one was a great situation whereby dealer paid me so much to sell it after 6 months) but overall, the car felt big and not as “tight” for lack of a better word.

I’m curious is anyone else had similar feelings after their purchase.

If the M3 isn't sporty enough for you, you should get an M4 instead, 6MT recommended.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
Mike02z1977.50
      03-14-2024, 01:56 AM   #49
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

It’s a sport sedan that performs “almost” like a 911GTS. The G80 has exceptional straight line performance and decent cornering but it is a sedan at the end of the day. It sits higher and weighs more than your average sports/super car. Wada ya expect!? I can’t think of a better overall performing sedan in its class. It’s not as epic as driving my weekend toy but the M3 keeps me satisfied during the week. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:09 AM   #50
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ROLLIN20 View Post
No. There's new hardware in the LCI running 8.5. It's not backward compatible.
      03-14-2024, 07:19 AM   #51
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
If the M3 isn't sporty enough for you, you should get an M4 instead, 6MT recommended.
Same wheelbase, right? So what makes the M4 sportier, the seating position? Doesn’t it ride a bit higher as well, so maybe lower it? Does it have a slightly wider track?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 07:23 AM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I don't own the car but I've had numerous chances to drive an M3x comp hard... I did own an F87 and F80... the major difference in the G80 is that is felt like a GT car more than a rawer sport sedan. The F8x cars were very wild even at low speeds (probably has to do with RWD only and the mono bushings / lighter weight) and far less insulated than the G80... the G80 was MILES more capable and overall a better car but I never got out of it thinking, man this is a super fun car that I must own... hence I never bought one... so I DO understand what you are saying... I think all these posts about cars being terribly wrecked has something to do with that... they need to be pushed hard to really feel them.
      03-14-2024, 07:43 AM   #53
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ROLLIN20 View Post
At the dealer. The process is to order a 2025, and trade in your '24

In all seriousness, the internal hardware is different, so our cars with iD8 cannot be updated to 8.5.

Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 09:20 AM   #54
White340XDriveInCt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tanz M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Hi Guys,

I’m just wondering if anyone else felt like the M3’s are not as sporty as you expected after your purchase. I had a 23’ and 24’ (manuals RWD and always in SP+) and ended up selling both. Don’t get me wrong, excellent cars (first one was a great situation whereby dealer paid me so much to sell it after 6 months) but overall, the car felt big and not as “tight” for lack of a better word.

I’m curious is anyone else had similar feelings after their purchase.
I just came from a 991.2 911 GTS (which I absolutely loved and is the best handling car I've ever owned bar none) but I'd still say this G80 M3 I bought, for what it is meant to be, is VERY sporty. It's fast as fuddruckers, handles very well for a bigger car, the brakes are insane, and has an aggressive, sporty stance. Consider the fact that you can dial it down to RWD and it becomes a drift monster and you're talking one hell of a ride here. I love it so far, but I also understand it's not a 911 or a Cayman, etc.
Appreciate 2
Needsdecaf6599.00
      03-14-2024, 01:48 PM   #55
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
This car loves to be on the edge. It's got to be pushed to be "sporty".

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 4
bri10425937.00
IDKBRO678.50
Turbodu07185.00
      03-14-2024, 05:01 PM   #56
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

I drove a new G87 s few months ago and thought it was too comfy. I’m guessing the 3 and 4 feel even comfier.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:15 PM   #57
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
I drove a new G87 s few months ago and thought it was too comfy. I’m guessing the 3 and 4 feel even comfier.
“Ask your doctor if Ariel Atom is right for you….”

Appreciate 6
ourlee917.00
mjj163.00
bri10425937.00
CMW33310.50
      03-14-2024, 08:17 PM   #58
sdengineer
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 M3 CX, 25 X5 40i X

My compx feels damn sporty. Too fast for public roads. Handling is amazing and the grip of the AWD is epic. For me sporty is fast and fast in the turns. What else is there that isn't subjective?

Yeah, its a bit big and beefy and has 4-doors and is quite luxurious, especially if you get a lot of the options ... but, that is what makes it even more amazing, that you can have all these things in one car.
Appreciate 3
Galandel193.00
adr_M3368.50
      03-14-2024, 08:33 PM   #59
daza_gt
xdrive
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp X-Drive

For an all around daily commuter sedan its the best option in its class.. but i agree with OP i wouldn’t consider it a sports car.
If all you care about is straight line speed then sure its a fast car but its no GT4 or Evora if were comparing it to true sports cars.
Appreciate 2
Habber3515.00
IDKBRO678.50
      03-14-2024, 08:49 PM   #60
IDKBRO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Garage List
2022 TESLA SLR  [5.25]
2022 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdengineer View Post
My compx feels damn sporty. Too fast for public roads. Handling is amazing and the grip of the AWD is epic. For me sporty is fast and fast in the turns. What else is there that isn't subjective?

Yeah, its a bit big and beefy and has 4-doors and is quite luxurious, especially if you get a lot of the options ... but, that is what makes it even more amazing, that you can have all these things in one car.

I mean my model S is stupid fast and fast in turns as well but …. It’s a family tesla EV sedan lol and doesn’t feel the slightest bit sporty.
I think the difference of opinion here is one side doesn’t comprehend that the ability of a product doesn’t define into how well it actually feels while performing that said ability.

This post won’t make sense to someone who’s biggest thrill with this specific car is flooring it to their neighborhood grocery store or coffee shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 09:59 PM   #61
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Its an interesting conversation. If you haven't taken the car on track in stock form you may not understand but first time I did I realized how insane the performance was (well well above my ability and the car wasn't even sweating even though I thought I was flying). At the same time I understood when other posters talked about how it was heavy and maybe not perfectly suited for the track vs something more track focused. Is that sporty? I have no idea.
Appreciate 2
jmg18705.00
      03-14-2024, 10:26 PM   #62
IDKBRO
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Garage List
2022 TESLA SLR  [5.25]
2022 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Its an interesting conversation. If you haven't taken the car on track in stock form you may not understand but first time I did I realized how insane the performance was (well well above my ability and the car wasn't even sweating even though I thought I was flying). At the same time I understood when other posters talked about how it was heavy and maybe not perfectly suited for the track vs something more track focused. Is that sporty? I have no idea.
So before posting what I define as sporty, I went over to Google and here is the result :

“A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, the thrill of driving, and racing capability.”

Now for my definition , ( I want to add , I ordered my G80 without having the ability of test driving one )

A sporty car is one that is loud and feels like you’re dragging your ass on the floor while the suspension is so stiff that your jaw vibrates as you drive but in a good way lol. The steering is incredibly precise as well as very stiff , no numbness whatsoever and road feel is natural.
You feel every little bump through the steering wheel as well as suspension but it adds to the enjoyment because that provides confidence in any road environment.
The transmission throws you back HARD and you feel it under your bum with every shift and downshift.
It just brings a smile to your face every time you let it rip.
Every turn you make whether you’re driving 35mph or 100mph feels like you’re on rails ; absolutely glued and it’s just exciting at any speed.

I can make a few other points but I think you get the point ?

If that isn’t your definition of sporty , then our sportys are vastly different.

The stock G80 transmission feel is HORRID, numb , sluggish and uninteresting compared to the sporty F8x DCT.
However that is somewhat remedied with either CS coding or XHP tune, thank god.

The steering feel is numb , and a little too light, somewhat remedied yet again by CS coding. Also apparently with mono balls.

The car is heavy and at times you feel it.

Stock suspension is more or less good enough but it can feel a lot better and that’s what I’m hoping to achieve with Ohlins coilovers.

Don’t get me started on the pathetic stock exhaust.

Simply put , in its stock form , G80 is an all around beast of a car but it lacked in so many crucial areas for me.

But with a decent investment, G8x truly becomes sporty and that’s why I decided to keep it.
Appreciate 3
nu2M236.50
      03-14-2024, 10:58 PM   #63
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKBRO View Post
So before posting what I define as sporty, I went over to Google and here is the result :

“A sports car is a car designed with an emphasis on dynamic performance, such as handling, acceleration, top speed, the thrill of driving, and racing capability.”

Now for my definition , ( I want to add , I ordered my G80 without having the ability of test driving one )

A sporty car is one that is loud and feels like you’re dragging your ass on the floor while the suspension is so stiff that your jaw vibrates as you drive but in a good way lol. The steering is incredibly precise as well as very stiff , no numbness whatsoever and road feel is natural.
You feel every little bump through the steering wheel as well as suspension but it adds to the enjoyment because that provides confidence in any road environment.
The transmission throws you back HARD and you feel it under your bum with every shift and downshift.
Every turn you make whether you’re driving 35mph or 100mph feels like you’re on rails ; absolutely glued and it’s just exciting at any speed.

If that isn’t your definition of sporty , then our sportys are vastly different.

The stock G80 transmission feel is HORRID, numb , sluggish and uninteresting compared to the sporty F8x DCT.

The steering feel is numb , and a little too light, somewhat remedied yet again by CS coding. Also apparently with mono balls.

Stock suspension is more or less good enough but it can feel a lot better and that’s what I’m hoping to achieve with Ohlins coilovers.

Simply put , in its stock form , G80 is an all around beast of a car but it lacked in so many crucial areas for me.

But with a decent investment, G8x truly becomes sporty and that’s why I decided to keep it.

I like your post.

Can't disagree on the exhaust and the steering. Transmission isn't horrid but I only drove an f80 once and can see how you think it's underwhelming.

I think what you are describing is more of a built/track car or something like a Pista and not a volume production M car. BMW has never made what you are describing and now more than ever they seem to be wanting a balance over luxury and comfort over raciness due to the "average" customers feedback. Ferrari doesn't even really make what you are describing anymore outside of their track focused special models.

I remember when the E46 M3 came out and everyone thought the drivetrains were defective because of the M clunk. Hardcore M guys got it but the middle of the bell curve of customers hated it. 95% of the buyers (before the second or third owners get them) drive these cars to the office in traffic and don't want creaks and rattles and certainly want at least some dampening in the driveline.

It is what it is.
Appreciate 1
IDKBRO678.50
      03-14-2024, 11:18 PM   #64
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
First I've heard of this - great news IMHO
2025 M3/4 will both have iDrive 8.5 but it will basically still “look” like 8.0 from the outer skin.

Drivers display in front of steering wheel will look and work the same. Central display will have the same horizontally arranged widgets as it has in 8.0. Will still have “CLIMATE MENU” button at the bottom, but pressing it will launch the new 8.5 HVAC display. Icons will still be aligned along the left side of the screen as they are in 8.0.
      03-15-2024, 12:19 AM   #65
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 12:38 AM   #66
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDKBRO View Post

I agree with several of your observations. People buy the M3/M4 for different reasons. I refuse to drive boring cars except when we go on vacation and have to rent a family car. The G80 works for me as DD. It has both performance and comfort that fit my wants/needs. I actually thought about ditching it due to the stock exhaust and entertained buying a Plaid, but I just can’t get excited about an EV. I’m an eternal Motörhead! I ended up installing a valve controller and it did the trick for me. As for the other annoyances, the steering and the manual shifting feel w/paddles, they are acceptable for a DD; PDK is a spoiler. I would have preferred a DSG. If I can have only one car, the M3 would be very high on the list especially with 4 doors. The term “sporty” is subjective but if you want a true enthusiasts’ “sporty” car, I think a 911GTS or better (preferably a 992 GT3) or a supercar would check most of the boxes. The only problem is that these cars are hardly daily livable especially if you have a bad back. First world problems.
Appreciate 1
IDKBRO678.50