BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - Great Lakes

02-26-2023, 07:20 PM   #1
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp XDrive

Anyone who lives in IL buy out of state? IL vehicle registration related question

Hey everyone, my G80 is on a boat and starting to do some diligence before it arrives at the dealer (out of state) which is expected to arrive in about 4 weeks. I am picking it up in AL and planning on driving it back up (~600 miles) to IL. Wanted to hear from folks who bought of state and how difficult it was to register the car in IL. If I go on reddit, I see some people struggling on getting their car registered in IL when bought out of state and I don't want to be in a similar position.

My questions:
  • Has anyone bought out of state and register their vehicle in IL? What did you need to show the DMV to get your vehicle registered? Did you get a temp registration? Was it IL?
  • It appears that the IL DMV will want to see a physical title, but I won't have the title since it will be financed via BMWFS; it is a new vehicle. So getting the title will take some time, what do I need to do? Is it just a waiting game? Will BMWFS send the title to IL Secretary of State and then IL will send it back? Does BMWFS fill out the VSD190 or is that something I do?
  • Taxes: Did the BMW out of state dealer collect the taxes and if so, was this reflected on RUT-25? I don't want to be in a situation where I am over paying on taxes or paying twice and not getting it back

Thanks everyone!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 07:27 PM   #2
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep

akbjr Tagging you since we spoke and are in a similar situation. Not sure if you have any of these answers... :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #3
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Bought my M2 CS in PA and picked it up at PCD. Dealer actually got me temp plates from PA for the drive home and also submitted paperwork to IL DMV. License plate and registration was mailed to my house within 3 months, it was easy and I paid all fees with the dealer in PA.
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      03-06-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Bought my M2 CS in PA and picked it up at PCD. Dealer actually got me temp plates from PA for the drive home and also submitted paperwork to IL DMV. License plate and registration was mailed to my house within 3 months, it was easy and I paid all fees with the dealer in PA.
Thanks for responding! That’s what my dealer is also saying, I hope it’s not too much of a pain and a breeze!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
akbjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey,

I think you should be ok. I was told by dealer in Colorado that I will be given temp plates, paperwork will be mailed to IL and then I can register and pay sales tax at the DMV once paperwork arrives- and collect registration and plates.. I have done something similar with a car from Cali and it was easy and fast.
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      04-15-2023, 09:17 AM   #6
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep

To close the loop on this thread, I got the car about 3 weeks ago, the dealer FedEx overnight the bill of sale, additional paperwork, title, etc.

Only mistake that was made in this process was the check was made out to IL Secretary of State. It should have been: “IL Department of Revenue”

Basically I had to have the dealer issue a new check, void the other, and have the DMV send back the voided check.

Took an extra week and I had to go back and forth a few times but finally got the IL temp plates and waiting for my new vanity plate to come in.

Overall, smoother than I expected but just that one minor hiccup otherwise could have gotten this done 10 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 12:13 AM   #7
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalho2 View Post
To close the loop on this thread, I got the car about 3 weeks ago, the dealer FedEx overnight the bill of sale, additional paperwork, title, etc.

Only mistake that was made in this process was the check was made out to IL Secretary of State. It should have been: “IL Department of Revenue”

Basically I had to have the dealer issue a new check, void the other, and have the DMV send back the voided check.

Took an extra week and I had to go back and forth a few times but finally got the IL temp plates and waiting for my new vanity plate to come in.

Overall, smoother than I expected but just that one minor hiccup otherwise could have gotten this done 10 days ago.
Glad it was smooth for you.

Bought my M2C from Texas, my situation was an absolute nightmare. Couldn't get the car registered in IL, DMV and the State said my VIN "did not exist."
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 07:30 PM   #8
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM3 View Post
Glad it was smooth for you.

Bought my M2C from Texas, my situation was an absolute nightmare. Couldn't get the car registered in IL, DMV and the State said my VIN "did not exist."
Dang! What did you do next?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #9
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalho2 View Post
Dang! What did you do next?
I ended up trading the car in for a G80. I shit you not, the DMV told me if I were to get pulled over, the police officer might deem the car as stolen...

I could have most likely taken care of the issue if I really wanted, but with all honesty, I got sick of the headache and motor werks sold me an M3 at MSRP and offered me +$4k on the M2.
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      11-13-2023, 01:34 PM   #10
Evinrude1975
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS '24

I bought mine in GA and the dealer took care of everything. Some minor hickup with the registration that required a couple of visits at DMV
Appreciate 1
vmalho2702.00
      11-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #11
vmalho2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude1975 View Post
I bought mine in GA and the dealer took care of everything. Some minor hickup with the registration that required a couple of visits at DMV
Yup same here! The check wasn’t issued out correctly had to have the dealer AP team reissue a check.
Appreciate 1