BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-16-2024, 08:22 AM   #23
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
If your hand is on the shifter and not on the wheel, so often that it makes the placement of the volume buttons on the wheel annoying, that's a problem.
Reread his whole post, that's not what I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 12:28 PM   #24
testing02hwr
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

2. I haven't experienced it but I usually sit in 2nd if I know I won't be going past 30 mph for an extended amount of time.

3. I don't habitually rest my hand on the shifter and the only buttons I use on the steering wheel are the skip song buttons. I prefer to use the physical volume knob to change the volume which is actually closer to the shifter than the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:25 AM   #25
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Update on the interior noise/whistle; My dealer was able to locate and fix the issue;

MOLDING FOUND PASSENGER SIDE MOLDING TO BE UNEVEN.

REMOVED AND READJUST WINDSHIELD MOLDING TEST DRIVE VEHICLE

AFTER ADJUST TO CHECK FOR WIND NOISE, NO ABNORMAL NOISE WAS
Appreciate 4
Ezra168214.50
bri10425937.00
AG23253.00
      03-19-2024, 09:59 AM   #26
althepal
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 MT

That's great news! And helpful to hear. I'm about to take delivery of a 2021 G82 MT with 300 miles and it's good to know that there are possible little issues and what they may be. I'll see if my new (to me) M4 does that weird thing with the clutch/engine speed. I've been driving manuals my whole life, I'm 53, so I should know right away if something is odd.
Appreciate 1
Ezra168214.50
      03-22-2024, 12:17 PM   #27
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
Update on the interior noise/whistle; My dealer was able to locate and fix the issue;

MOLDING FOUND PASSENGER SIDE MOLDING TO BE UNEVEN.

REMOVED AND READJUST WINDSHIELD MOLDING TEST DRIVE VEHICLE

AFTER ADJUST TO CHECK FOR WIND NOISE, NO ABNORMAL NOISE WAS
They were able to fix my whistling noise as well. It was from the passenger side mirror cap. They adjusted it and installed again and fixed the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 12:46 PM   #28
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tju2 View Post
Just to emphasize #3, never rest your hand on the gear shift, no matter how lightly, as a normative thing. ..
Yeah this was proven to be just a myth a long time ago. At one point I probably thought so too.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 01:09 PM   #29
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Yeah this was proven to be just a myth a long time ago. At one point I probably thought so too.
I think "not a myth". On a MT, the shifting fork rides very slightly above a shifting (sliding) gear. Any pressure forces them to rub constantly.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:07 PM   #30
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
I think "not a myth". On a MT, the shifting fork rides very slightly above a shifting (sliding) gear. Any pressure forces them to rub constantly.
It’s not a myth. The key thing that makes it either true or false is the type of shifting mechanism the trans has. If it’s cable actuated and there’s no physical link between the shifter itself and the forks, then the affect is minimized, as long as the pressure is vertical on the knob and not applying any tugging pressure on the cables. This problem was more an issue on direct shift linkages with bars and even so, it’s also dependent on the user. Some would keep their hand on the shifter with the same grip pressure level as when shifting and some would relax their grip with each shift without removing the hand which was a better technique. There’s quite a bit of variables at play, which is why you had one camp say it’s bs and the other complaining they developed trans issues.

Me personally, when I drove MT, never kept my hand on the shifter. There’s no point. Shift, move hand back to wheel or if I need to rest it, just move it to the side. It’s not a big deal. I also don’t feel the need to wiggle the shifter side to side a billion times to make sure it’s in neutral. 😆 I know it’s in neutral if I flick down from one of the top gear positions or flick up from one of the bottom ones. At worse, if I do check, it’s slide to the left with my palm and let go. It’s in neutral… it’s not gonna be anything else.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 03-22-2024 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:15 PM   #31
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

On a manual transmission, there are still forks and gates and the shifter is still directly sliding the fork that is currently engaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:38 PM   #32
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On a manual transmission, there are still forks and gates and the shifter is still directly sliding the fork that is currently engaged.
Not all are the same. Some (newer Hondas for example) have cables that actuate the forward/backward movement and another for the side/side. That shifter design has no hard mounting to the linkage within the transmission, so as long as you don’t tug too much on the cables, there’s not enough deflection to cause an issue because there is a little bit of play in the cable. This is why I said it’s dependent on the trans… meaning manufacturer or it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:36 PM   #33
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Not all are the same. Some (newer Hondas for example) have cables that actuate the forward/backward movement and another for the side/side. That shifter design has no hard mounting to the linkage within the transmission, so as long as you don’t tug too much on the cables, there’s not enough deflection to cause an issue because there is a little bit of play in the cable. This is why I said it’s dependent on the trans… meaning manufacturer or it.
I think of front-wheel-drive transaxles as magic, anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:48 PM   #34
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think of front-wheel-drive transaxles as magic, anyway
Old school 90’s Hondas back in my day were all solid linkage. What’s more is people would change out the bushings on them to solid metal ones too. That was a recipe for either vibration buzz city in the cabin or some trans issues if you made a habit of gripping them all the time. The girls liked them a lot for some reason though… bzzz bzzz 😜😂
Appreciate 0