BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-15-2022, 06:11 PM   #23
jlevy73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
On my previous F90 had problems with the Ps4s and i wanted to try the new tyres
How do you like the new tires? The reviews I have read all said good things about them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 06:47 PM   #24
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjx View Post
Alignment. Warrantable until 1000 or 2000 miles. May be the latter but check your booklet.
I would think it was a wheel out of balance, more than a misalignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:41 AM   #25
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santox View Post
On my previous F90 had problems with the Ps4s and i wanted to try the new tyres
How do you like the new tires? The reviews I have read all said good things about them.
Since i am breaking in the car , i haven't yet fully tested them . They are a little bit more harsh than Pzero . They also throwing stones . The steering wheel feedback is very nice , they feel like the old Michelin Super Sports. I will tell you mare after i will make more mileage .
      03-16-2022, 01:52 AM   #26
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Sucks to hear about your experience but very nice job on the SportContact 7's - we can't get 'em here yet in the states.

I'm about to officially ask a relative or two to buy a set across the pond and ship 'em over to me. Hmm..
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 07:53 AM   #27
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlenarto View Post
Similar issue but it’s at all speeds, including at idle and pulling away slowly. Sometimes in reverse it shakes the whole car. Doesn’t seem like an alignment issue then. Anyone else find a solution?
Your car needs to go in to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:16 PM   #28
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

I also recently experienced a vibration in the steering wheel that turned out to be caused by a very unusual circumstance.

I drive my car on track, and noticed this in several places on the track one day. It only occurred at speeds above 100mph. Anything below and no vibration. After checking lug nut torque, and looking for missing wheel balance weights, and finding all to be proper, I bagged it for the day. Ugly thoughts of extremely difficult and lengthy diagnosis, and possible suspension or steering system problems filled my head.

A week later I went to my shop and the first thing they did was remove the front wheels and put them on the balancer. The left front was perfect, but the right front was way out at high speed. But the really weird thing was that when the rotation slowed way down a very noticeable thump, thump, thump could be heard coming from inside the tire. ??? It turned out to be the TPMS unit rolling around loose inside the tire. It had unscrewed itself from the valve stem because it had not been coated with loctite at the factory. The combination of the weight of the TPMS unit not being located where it should be, but being held in place somewhere inside the tire by rotational inertia was enough to really throw the balance off at high speeds.

A new TPMS unit and some loctite = good to go. That's something you don't see every day.
      08-31-2023, 01:19 PM   #29
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlenarto View Post
It’s been at two dealers and they don’t seem know how to handle it. Since there’s no code and no service bulletins they don’t seem to know what to do. I’m going to start replacing things myself until I find the culprit.

A little late here but I seem to be having the same issue. I had a bad tire which was replaced but am still experiencing a high frequency vibe sometimes.

I tried to move the steering position today and noticed it was was gone after I unlatched the wheel! As as soon as I latched it back it came back...

Ive never experienced something like this. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this? I have to go back to the dealer in a couple weeks and will be mentioning it.

I am thinking perhaps something is over torqued in the steering wheel or latch?
Appreciate 1
M2Life1.50
      09-01-2023, 09:44 PM   #30
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
If you guys really pay attention I can feel i miniscule vibration when in xdrive that goes away in rwd.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 09:16 AM   #31
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
If you guys really pay attention I can feel i miniscule vibration when in xdrive that goes away in rwd.
Mine does not go away in RWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 02:38 AM   #32
M2Life
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Ritual View Post
A little late here but I seem to be having the same issue. I had a bad tire which was replaced but am still experiencing a high frequency vibe sometimes.

I tried to move the steering position today and noticed it was was gone after I unlatched the wheel! As as soon as I latched it back it came back...

Ive never experienced something like this. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this? I have to go back to the dealer in a couple weeks and will be mentioning it.

I am thinking perhaps something is over torqued in the steering wheel or latch?
I have the same vibration in my G87. I also noticed when i unlatch the steering wheel that it’s gone. Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #33
Ghost Ritual
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Life View Post
I have the same vibration in my G87. I also noticed when i unlatch the steering wheel that it’s gone. Did you ever figure this out?

I did not. I did observe it to be more noticeable when driving on different types of pavement.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #34
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

I know I’ve said this before probably, but have your wheels/tires checked out by someone who knows what they’re doing and knows how to use the machine and has done it for years. Find a shop with a Hunter road force balancer and go there and have them redo the clocking and balancing of the tires on your wheels. If they nail it, you should have ZERO vibrations all the way up to 150+ and it’ll be glass smooth, no matter what.

I just had a new set of tires installed and instead of going to the place I went to last time, I went to a new place. I went into great detail of what I wanted done and what they needed to accomplish and this place basically worked with me to gain my trust in them. Now, for a little bit of context and certainly nothing against the previous place, but after installing new wheels and tires I bought online that should have come roadforce balanced, I knew I’d have issues from the sheer fact that yellow dot was nowhere near the valve stem and a couple of the wheels had a lot of weight on them. Basically idiots mounted and balanced them. Anyway, sure enough, steering wheel was shimming around no matter what combo of wheels I flipped front to back or diagonally to try and get a somewhat clean combo up front. I gave up on that and took it to the first place since they had Hunter equipment and had them rebalance them. When I got them back, some were still not properly lined up mount wise but on the test drive it was better but not perfect over 100. I decided I wasn’t going to fuck with it any more and since it was somewhat minor, ride it out. Wore through those tires and that’s how I ended up at Discount Tire of all places. Got them to price match Tire Rack and initially wasn’t going to let them even touch my wheels, but after speaking with the manager, he understood what my concerns were and why. Fast forward and I decided to give them a try based on his assurances and not wanting to pay double at the previous place for mounting/balancing and possibly run into the same slight vibrations. The techs were super professional and also understanding of my concerns. They actually took the old wheels off and put each one on the balancer to see current condition as an added measure and all were slightly off, which explained the issues. Dismounted and remounted new tires and lined everything up with only very minor clocking the machine asked for. Balanced them up and threw them on the car. Shit is glass smooth no matter the speed… just like it used to be at an older place in town I used to go to previously that I don’t go to anymore.

Moral of the story… whomever does the balancing and even if done on Hunter equipment, needs to know at least the basic old school rules of mounting. You can’t just fix vibrations by weight alone. Hunter stuff makes it super simple to not fuck up, but an inexperienced tech can still easily mess it up. If you want glass smooth results go somewhere with Hunter machines and techs that know how to used them properly and not just do dumb shit and hope for the best. Ironically, the last place I thought I’d go to have new tires mounted was the place that did the best job. Yeah, I know… I have trust issues. Lol

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 03-22-2024 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:56 AM   #35
Yuri-y
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80

Happened to me on a new M3CS. One tire was bad. Replaced and its fine.
Appreciate 0