BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-20-2024, 10:10 AM   #23
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
In Australia, these headlights on lci have matrix, just like m2 with same single projector

It’s not actually a projector in the same sense as a hid projector, there is a multi led array behind the lense

As for cars I’ve owned with a single lense/projector with matrix

Audi rs3 8v, defender v8, Audi s5 had both matrix and laser in a single projector - see pic below, you can actually see the multi led array projector onto the headlight cover

US not having matrix on the lci headlight is not due to a limitation on the hardware, but you’re regulations
I'm aware these issues are due to regulations, but the lights in the LCI model do not look to have a mutli-projector setup in a single housing, as the Audis you mentioned do.

They may have a single lens, but there are multiple projectors inside of that single housing so they can move around and create a "grid" or matrix of where to and not to shine line.

The new LCI lights do not look big enough to have any meaningful amount of projectors to do a similar kind of "matrix" system

Even in the non-LCI, there were only about 2-3 "positions" each light housing could accommodate to since they were only using 1 or two different projectors in each housing.
Appreciate 1
RJC-11289.50
      03-20-2024, 10:18 AM   #24
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I'm aware these issues are due to regulations, but the lights in the LCI model do not look to have a mutli-projector setup in a single housing, as the Audis you mentioned do.

They may have a single lens, but there are multiple projectors inside of that single housing so they can move around and create a "grid" or matrix of where to and not to shine line.

The new LCI lights do not look big enough to have any meaningful amount of projectors to do a similar kind of "matrix" system

Even in the non-LCI, there were only about 2-3 "positions" each light housing could accommodate to since they were only using 1 or two different projectors in each housing.
That’s an old way of doing matrix

That diagram is from an Audi c7 a6 from 2011

My f80 had a similar matrix setup with multi LEDs in a reflector housing

Headlight tech has since advanced
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      03-20-2024, 10:21 AM   #25
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That’s an old way of doing matrix

That diagram is from an Audi c7 a6 from 2011

My f80 had a similar matrix setup with multi LEDs in a reflector housing

Headlight tech has since advanced
Do you have any info on how it works now? I'm curious how you'd do it with a single projector
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 10:22 AM   #26
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=Berzerker;31002632]Do you have any info on how it works now? I'm curious how you'd do it with a single projector

Have a look at diagram I posted in my previous post of the s5 headlight

As for what’s inside the projector, up to 100 tiny LEDs
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13469.00
s58544.00
M4Tejas788.00
      03-20-2024, 10:25 AM   #27
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have a look at diagram I posted in my previous post of the s5 headlight

As for what’s inside the projector, up to 100 tiny LEDs
Seems like that "light range and adjustment mechanism" is how they do it now. Something like a microshutter system? I believe that's how it works on the F/G8x.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      03-20-2024, 10:36 AM   #28
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If you really want to freak out, the latest tech is digital or HD matrix

Porsche and Audi are using this tech on their latest models

Whereas previous they could fit up to 100 micro LEDs in a single projector, with HD LEDs they are width of a human hair and they can package up to 16,000 in a single projector - not only can it do matrix but it can also project lane markings/arrows on the road and cool startup animations

https://youtu.be/hDJi240E_ZA?si=kRUaDQdhhfjPucgs
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13469.00
EXE462100.00
RJC-11289.50
      03-20-2024, 10:54 AM   #29
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
If you really want to freak out, the latest tech is digital or HD matrix

Porsche and Audi are using this tech on their latest models

Whereas previous they could fit up to 100 micro LEDs in a single projector, with HD LEDs they are width of a human hair and they can package up to 16,000 in a single projector - not only can it do matrix but it can also project lane markings/arrows on the road and cool startup animations

https://youtu.be/hDJi240E_ZA?si=kRUaDQdhhfjPucgs
I had seen some of that on the E-Tron GT, but, nothing this extensive. This really gives you a glimpse of whats possible, and Im sure this tech will come out on the higher BMW models, first.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:49 PM   #30
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Audi this, audi that
how about you stop talking about audi on a bmw forum and give us some actual information about what bmw is doing? As far as every post I've seen on the new headlights, they're basic, cheap and have worse range.

do you have links showing otherwise like you do for audi?

I just had to cancel my m3 order because the dealer ordered the wrong color and said it's too late to change it. so now I'm stuck with the cheap looking headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 05:23 AM   #31
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
how about you stop talking about audi on a bmw forum and give us some actual information about what bmw is doing? As far as every post I've seen on the new headlights, they're basic, cheap and have worse range.

I just had to cancel my m3 order because the dealer ordered the wrong color and said it's too late to change it. so now I'm stuck with the cheap looking headlights
My man you might want to consider a more courteous tone. The guy is just sharing his experience about headlights. He also has a 1200+ rep on this forum vs your 112.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 8
Burrcold5319.50
mathys202.50
jrhav168.50
Lupeskew592.00
Sonic RR118.50
RJC-11289.50
mjj163.00
      04-19-2024, 09:04 PM   #32
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post

Nothing to report bro, as per my previous posts bmw are using multi led array behind a single projector for matrix as most manufacturers do - it doesn’t matter whether it’s a pic of an Audi projector or otherwise, they all just buy the parts off hella, valeo etc

With advent of digital matrix, laser tech is dead in water, hence why nobody is offering it on new models anymore

Now go to your safe space, you’re goin to be triggered

If you want to discuss headlight tech and see where tech is heading, Audi is manufacturer to do so

Audi have always been one of first manufacturers to bring new headlight tech to market, they were first with led drl, first with bi-led, first with matrix, first with laser and now first with hd
Appreciate 4
Burrcold5319.50
jrhav168.50
chicagofan0019146.00
mjj163.00
      04-20-2024, 08:07 AM   #33
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Nothing to report bro, as per my previous posts bmw are using multi led array behind a single projector for matrix as most manufacturers do - it doesn’t matter whether it’s a pic of an Audi projector or otherwise, they all just buy the parts off hella, valeo etc

With advent of digital matrix, laser tech is dead in water, hence why nobody is offering it on new models anymore

Now go to your safe space, you’re goin to be triggered

If you want to discuss headlight tech and see where tech is heading, Audi is manufacturer to do so

Audi have always been one of first manufacturers to bring new headlight tech to market, they were first with led drl, first with bi-led, first with matrix, first with laser and now first with hd
I thought BMW brought laser headlights to the market first on the i8. Vividly remember them rushing it to the market so that they can make that claim. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:21 AM   #34
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I thought BMW brought laser headlights to the market first on the i8. Vividly remember them rushing it to the market so that they can make that claim. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though...
first gen r8 lmx
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 12:28 PM   #35
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I get the sense no one is giving the new headlights a chance. Yes, maybe they don’t look as cool as the lamp on laser lights, but are they really a downgrade in functionality?

From what I can gather, the problem with laser lights are they aren’t adaptive and can’t adjust brightness. Sure, they are super bright, but you can get somewhat blinded from the reflection off road signs (safety issue). The new led matrix technology should have the ability to lower brightness of individual LEDs pointing at signs for anti-dazzle. Also, today’s LEDs are pretty darn powerful.

I’d love to see a video or direct comparisons of the new lights versus the older ones before dismissing the new lights as a downgrade. Has anyone seen such a video yet?
Appreciate 2
RJC-11289.50
      04-20-2024, 12:37 PM   #36
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
first gen r8 lmx
i8 beat the LMX by a month+ with special customer deliveries. Although, it's arguable who went into production first.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 02:15 PM   #37
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
My man you might want to consider a more courteous tone. The guy is just sharing his experience about headlights. He also has a 1200+ rep on this forum vs your 112.
I do not care about rep. I had hoped a thread directly talking about the new headlight would have been more relevant than a page and a half of audi promotions and no discussion about the actual topic. I agree with him that Audi leads in headlight tech, but BMW, Mercedes and Audi all use tech differently and this isn't an Audi page.

I also had found out the day prior that my m3 order was ordered the wrong color and that it's too late to get an individual color in pre lci. I had planned on avoiding these headlights completely.
Did some of that frustration spill over unfairly? absolutely. however my point is still valid
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 06:33 PM   #38
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
I may be in the minority here but I got over the corona halos a while back when the new M2 was unveiled. While I don’t care for the styling of the M2 very much, I DO like the lights. I plan to put in an order for a 25 G80 and I’m excited about the LCI changes - including the headlights.

While I agree with others who said the style of the DRL has become more common looking and less distinctive, I do think they are more modern and the corona style will look dated rather soon.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13469.00
jrhav168.50
      04-20-2024, 06:54 PM   #39
Mrproper86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 24 m3 comp xdrive 24 740i

The led headlights on the 2024 7 series are absolutely amazing. When I placed my m3 order I didn’t even bother with the laser lights due the awesome led’s on my wife’s 7. I think these lights will be just fine , and as usual, most will complain just like with the grill on the g80 back then.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13469.00
      04-20-2024, 09:17 PM   #40
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
I just think the design of the current angel eyes is getting old. If you think about it that way, maybe it makes more sense. After the angel eyes, where does the design language go from there? Well they figured it out. Now this is the new angel eye, for the foreseeable future.
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:19 PM   #41
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lago1974 View Post
I may be in the minority here but I got over the corona halos a while back when the new M2 was unveiled. While I don’t care for the styling of the M2 very much, I DO like the lights. I plan to put in an order for a 25 G80 and I’m excited about the LCI changes - including the headlights.

While I agree with others who said the style of the DRL has become more common looking and less distinctive, I do think they are more modern and the corona style will look dated rather soon.
Not true.

The 2025 LEDs already look dated. Hard pass. When I see them I think of older BMW generations.

The taillights are a different animal. Although I like pre lci and CS ones about the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 08:01 AM   #42
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Unfortunately, Porsche hasn’t delineated very far when it comes to 911 design language, but they manage to keep the car looking fresh with every new generation, without ever changing the overall design language of the original 911s.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:35 AM   #43
Orjan
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 1994 Alpina B3 3.0

From the press release
Quote:
Modern design accents: New headlight design, taillights featuring laser technology.

The redesigned headlights give the front end of both the new BMW M4 Coupé and the new BMW M4 Convertible a modern look. The inside of the LED headlights, now a standard option, is even more distinctively structured. They also feature further developments in their functionality. Both the low and high beam are now produced by the same LED module. Two vertical LED units, each aligned in an arrowhead shape, assume the function of position and daytime running lights as well as direction indicators. The technology-oriented design of these new light sources provides for a sophisticated and progressive look.

Adaptive LED headlights with anti-glare matrix high beam are available as optional features. They are recognisable by the blue inserts and feature an urban light and cornering light function. Using the urban light function ensures optimised illumination of the roadside areas when travelling at low speeds on roads identified by the navigation data as built-up areas. The low beam function, however, is only activated when a speed of 22 mph has been reached. Furthermore, in conjunction with the adaptive LED headlights M Shadow Line lights featuring dark accents inside are also available.

LCI headlight on 440i (same on M4)
      Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #44
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

New lights look great, more aggressive and more integrated with vertical grille and lower duct
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
jrhav168.50
lago1974169.00
Limegrntaln13469.00
mjj163.00
'Cane8514.50