10-06-2023, 05:23 PM   #23
StephenWyker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90, G80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf The White View Post
Thank you all for your feedback! Seems like the Cup2* so far is the best option, but will keep looking around.

Also I agree, nobody doing a track day needs track tires, a track day is not a competition and the only one timing is you. But that being said I always felt that when running Michelin PSS or PS2's on that they would overheat and get squirmy at the end of the session compared to the RS4/R888's or the Hoosier's I can only imagine that this will be more pronounced with a heavier and more powerful car.
Cup 2 240 are amazing and so super sticky at temp -- just know they are FIRM tires. You will feel a NOTICEABLE decay in ride quality regardless of temp. I had these on my CS wheels on my F80 and can't say enough good things. But swapping back to the 4s is like night and day from a ride quality perspective. Really depends if you will spend more time doing track / naughty things or sitting driving down normal roads!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 06:51 PM   #24
herbnlegend
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX, BMW M4 Comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
...In my case I run at 37 lbs front and 35 lbs rear (a little more traction out of the turns)....

Hope this helps.
Are these your hot pressures? I'll be at the Glen this weekend with PS4S on a G82 xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 02:36 PM   #25
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbnlegend View Post
Are these your hot pressures? I'll be at the Glen this weekend with PS4S on a G82 xdrive.
Yes these are hot pressures. No matter what tires and what pressures you use on or off track.. when driving on a track the pressure you decide to use is always measured when hot, and monitored immediately after every session. If at the end of a session (usually the first) they are under your desired pressure then add some air to get there. If they are over your desired pressure then bleed some off to get there. Somewhere around the middle of the day after tinkering they will stabilize at your target pressure and probably not need further "adjustment". You should still check them after every session however. It's just that important.
      10-17-2023, 02:23 PM   #26
nizona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 2019 View Post
You do not need to worry about the <100 >100 thing. The cars come from the factory set at <100. You should leave it there even if you track the car. Unless you have a daily commute on the Autobahn you will be spending nearly all of your time at <100. Any excursions above this even on a racetrack will be brief, and the tires will be fine.

As for the PSI, you should use the recommended settings on the door jamb (measured when cold) for DD. When on the track with PS4S's I start at the recommended settings. The pressures will rise to about 5-7 lbs above this as the tires heat up. This is a good target range and only you can decide what works best for you. In my case I run at 37 lbs front and 35 lbs rear (a little more traction out of the turns). All pressures at the track should be measured when hot immediately after returning to the paddock after every session. Bleed them when necessary to maintain your ideal PSI. In any case do not exceed about 39 lbs with PS4S's or your traction and wear will suffer.

Hope this helps.
Would second this, I usually run 32psi for single pax driver on track and even Autobahn runs. (Which is from the door jam chart) I have the base model El cheapo wheels so Continental Sport Contact 6 star. No complaints so far though with wear.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 07:54 PM   #27
rafaeldelrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 CS, 2023 BMW M4 Co

Going to my second track day at Sebring, in a 2023 M4 Comp xDrive Convertible. Trying to decide if I get new tires, or maybe wheels + tires. I see on TireRack, that there are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 with wear rates of 180 and 240. Which one would you recommend? I won't be adding camber plates in the next 4-6 months, so I am already ok with tires not lasting a lot. Just want a good tire, that would allow me to make the best use of the car on tracks. Should I expect better handling (on Sebring, Daytona, Homestead, which is where I will be tracking mostly) from the Cup 2 (240) compared to P4S? I mean.. If I will be shaving just 1-2 seconds by going to a Cup2, maybe its not worth the lesser longevity. Also, I see people talk about P4S Star. Is the P4S we buy on TireRack similar? Or should I go to a BMW Dealership to get them?

Thank you,
Rafael
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 10:18 PM   #28
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaeldelrey View Post
Going to my second track day at Sebring, in a 2023 M4 Comp xDrive Convertible. Trying to decide if I get new tires, or maybe wheels + tires. I see on TireRack, that there are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 with wear rates of 180 and 240. Which one would you recommend? I won't be adding camber plates in the next 4-6 months, so I am already ok with tires not lasting a lot. Just want a good tire, that would allow me to make the best use of the car on tracks. Should I expect better handling (on Sebring, Daytona, Homestead, which is where I will be tracking mostly) from the Cup 2 (240) compared to P4S? I mean.. If I will be shaving just 1-2 seconds by going to a Cup2, maybe its not worth the lesser longevity. Also, I see people talk about P4S Star. Is the P4S we buy on TireRack similar? Or should I go to a BMW Dealership to get them?

Thank you,
Rafael
There's a lot to unpack there, but I'll address at least one of your questions.

The Star tires are BMW OEM tires, and TireRack has them if you're looking at OEM sizes.

As an example, in the case of the PS4S, for my car, which is xDrive with 19/20 wheels, TireRack lists both the PS4S Star BMW as well as the regular PS4S (see below). If I were to buy PS4S's through TireRack I'd (personally) always go for the Star BMW.

In the case of the PSC2s, the list both the Star BMW and the regular PSC2s (the regular is actually a Mercedes spec tire). The former is the 240TW and the latter is the 180TW. Also note in the PSC2 image that the Star BMW is listed as Original Equipment because I searched TireRack using my specific car and not a specific tire size (it's cut off in the PS4S image, but it too had the tag). Again, as above, if I were to buy PSC2s through TireRack I'd (personally) always go for the Star BMW.

In this case that's exactly what I've done. I'll have a complete set of Star BMW OE PSC2s delivered on Tuesday. I do track my car, but I have separate track set of wheels/tires. I will be using the PSC2s for DD and autocross.

As far as which to use for your specific use case, I'll defer to others that might have more experience with your use case.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 10:22 PM   #29
rafaeldelrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 CS, 2023 BMW M4 Co

Thanks a lot. By adding the car, Tire rack shows the "BMW Star".
Appreciate 1
m4ml1859.50